Pioneer Valley Offseason BUZZ

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: Pioneer Valley Offseason BUZZ

Post by WitnessProtection »

I drain 3's wrote:
newlex/sheridan wrote:Any team with four very skilled guards is difficult to defend, games will be about match ups. Fort is the favorite until someone else takes it from them. Doesn't matter who says what on here. I watched and/or my team played against some of these PVC teams this summer. Based on what I took from there Trail/Fort/Caldwell/Central were all 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. That is why when it comes to coaching I'd take the Fort. Caldwell has proven nothing to this point, other then they couldn't be overlooked last year. I am pretty sure they have not been coached up like this in awhile though. Should be an interesting season. Good luck to my brother and all of the PVC teams.
This. Caldwell has had some talented teams comes through in the past, but they always seemed to fall short of expectations. Some of that can be blamed on players and some on coaching. Caldwell hasn't had a solid coach for a few years now. Hopefully Crane can change that. Seems that he is truly interested in rebuilding the Caldwell program from the ground up.

Just wanted to say that "I drain 3's" is a great name!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Who does everyone open up with and when?

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I have been reading this forum for a few years. I'd like to say Kapono, you always give me a laugh. Small town schools need loyal to the end fans. As a fan (and parent of a current Caldwell player) I will agree with Virgil, the community hasn't really supported the basketball programs. My response to that is simply, with the product that has been put on the floor in the past can you blame them? The current coach has come and changed the attitude in a hurry. Our crappy administration didn't hire him until mid June a year ago, he had no summer with the boys, took kids who had been taught nothing and made them competitive in the PVC. This spring and summer he had the gym open for the boys, took them to camp, shoot outs and really improved them. The numbers are up, when the clueless guy they had in their before left their were 11 kids in the high school program and no hope. There are now 40 between grades 7-12 with talent. I grew up and played @ a school which had a quality coach and program, I have been around basketball being taught correctly. I have been fortunate enough to watch a few practices, I can tell you this, I thought I knew the game until I was in that gym with him for 2 hours.
My son has learned more in the limited time he has had with coach crane then he has in the six years of organized basketball prior. He teaches fundamentals like footwork, spacing, and passing an makes the kids do it right and commands their respect. His practices are organized and energetic and the kids are motivated. He is teaching them the game and how it works. Does he have the best athletes to work with? No, but he will make a dedicated, hardworking kid a player if he is willing to put in the time. I've seen it happen and he's only been here a year. There is interest through out the program, if they put a winning product on the court the fans will come out and support the team. I expect Caldwell to surprise some people, do I expect them to win the league? No....can they? I believe they can. What I do know is our administration needs to do everything they can to keep him here because he does it right, if they ever find an A.D. willing to help sports other then his own we might have something. Good luck to the Skins this winter, I will be there supporting you every game.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Results from the Caldwell/New Lex scrimmage from last night: some of these may be off a point or two, got the film to scout New Lex since they are in our league :) nice knowing people who can hook you up.
1st qtr New Lex 16 Caldwell 12
2nd qtr Caldwell 10 New Lex 10
3rd qtr New Lex 18 Caldwell 9 (i personally loved this qtr, caldwell down 7-0 in three minutes, sends all varsity players to the bleachers, jv players responded very well)
4th qtr Caldwell 11 New Lex 11
5th qtr Caldwell 14 New Lex 11
6th qtr Caldwell 17 New Lex 6

*Noticed from the film that they were kind of dogging it the first three qtrs, after they were kicked off the floor they began to play at a different level and handled a nice New Lex team. Also, thought from the film i watched that the JV kids played very well for Caldwell.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Got to catch the scrimmage last night as well, and what newlex/sheridan said is correct. They looked completely uninterested for the first three quarters, and finally woke up and played better ball the last 3 quarters. Still have some things to work on though. Depth will be an issue, but Abrams seems to be improving and there may be a kid or two they can pull up of the JV team for some spot minutes. Still have some work to do on the defensive end. Rebounding and not reaching were the two key things I saw. Need to learn how to play hard, but under control at the same time.

3 for me
Riding the Bench

Post by 3 for me »

Easterndspy, how is Frontier looking during its scrimmages? I figure you will know since you have some relation to a kid on the team.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They beat Bellaire and got roughed up vs Barnesville.I think they are 6 win team preparing for next season tons of Jrs.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Frontier got drilled tonight in the foundation game by Marietta by 30 plus

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye over Waterford 38-23 in a 2qt preview.Fort Frye was on fire from 3 with Smith (3),Eddy (2) ,Schwendeman (2),and Anthony Duskey(1) All 8 players scored.Waterford some heart after getting 17-5 in the 1st.

Phoenix
JV Team

Post by Phoenix »

it was 26-10 in the first. 6 of the 8 three pointers were from the first quarter as well. Fort Frye is a very good team, if they keep their head in the game. You can tell if they're focused, they will put up big points. The second quarter was just fun for them, until waterford somehow came back to being only 6 down. They need a bench. duskey spindler and anderson are good backups, but they need 1 more person they could pull, just to get they extra breathe. But they are conditioned well and will be fine without that. They will win the PVC hands down, possibly a repeat in the OVAC. if they can stick together at the end, maybe sectionals. But we have a long time until February.

Prediction:
lose 4 games. At least 1 to warren, probably both and 1 pvc game. maybe one in the ovac tournament

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Yea not often do you lose 6 srs and improve
Fort Frye has looked great.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Yea, and the FF girls looked even better, but that is probably allready on the Girls forum...

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Knew Fort would be tough on offense, the only thing that will get them is a jump shooting team will have nights on which their shots don't fall. Basically, they can beat anyone and be beat by just about anyone, though I am positive they will play good enough defense under Liedtke to counter that.
Went to the Caldwell/Shenandoah preview last night. The Zeps won 29-24 but I came away impressed with Caldwell and not the team from Sarahsville. Caldwell didn't really show anything, they played half court man to man defense and ran a simple motion offense, they also played 9 guys which won't happen during the season. The Zeps' on the other hand really only played their regulars, they pressed, played man and zone both at times and tried out their arsenal. I will say any team that runs a pick and roll against them will destroy them, every time Caldwell did that they scored.
Also, the reserve game was entertaining, the Zeps won that by a few points as well but similar scenario to above, played all 12 guys and didn't go all out to win a preview. My son is a reserve player for Caldwell and the improvements these kids have made is phenomenal. I believe they are going to have a very good season in the county seat at both levels.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

That's the thing Fort Frye plays great defense.Teams will struggle to score on them.FFs weaknesses is depth and foul trouble could be the issue.

I drain 3's
Varsity

Post by I drain 3's »

Wish I could have made it to the preview last night, as it sounds like it was a good one. Who does Caldwell open up with? Haven't got a schedule yet.

3 for me
Riding the Bench

Post by 3 for me »

Caldwell opens up with Central on the 2nd.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Central is always the most athletic team in the league, IMO. I think the opener will be interesting for these two teams. How has central looked to this point?

Phoenix
JV Team

Post by Phoenix »

redskinwitness wrote:Central is always the most athletic team in the league, IMO.
Have you only been watching basketball for a year?

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

I have been in the district for over a decade, really only been watching the basketball teams the past six years but it always seems to me they get the strong, athletic football players out to play. Maybe not always the most skilled basketball players, but always nice athletes. Just my opinion.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

How did Caldwell do vs Belpre?

Return to “Boys Basketball”