Portsmouth Trojans 2011-2012

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2011-2012

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans went 3-1 yesterday at Rio Grande, beating Point Pleasant(WV), Circleville, and Eastern Brown........while losing to Winfield(WV)..........Winfield had lost to Eastern Brown earlier, then beat the Trojans, then the Trojans beat Eastern Brown.

Overall, Portsmouth is 12-3 this summer........today the Trojans are playing at the Ohio State Shootout/Camp with play starting around noon.

Next week PHS is scheduled to play in the Ironton Shootout on Thursday and Friday.......times of games TBD.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

The Trojans fared very well today going 3-1 in the Ohio State Team camp

Game 1 was vs Louisville (KY) Collegiate @ Rec Center
What we were told was they are a very large private school in Louisville.

PHS won 66-49

Game 2 vs Canton GlenOak (around 760 boys? Trojandave will have the official stats) @ St. John's Arena
Former HS of Kosta Koufas. D1 in Ohio

PHS won 72-53 with a lot of minutes for everybody.

Game 3 vs Gahanna Lincoln D1 (around 880 boys?) @ Schott Aux gym
PHS started out 12-0 but then Gahanna went on a 18-2 run. This team has a LOT of talent and could be a team to watch in D1

PHS lost 71-55

Game 4 vs Upper Arlington D1 (660 boys?) @ Schott Aux gym
Last one of the day and right after the Gahanna game
Trojans led the whole game by about 8 or 10 but then cramps started setting in and UA never gave up. UA hit a 3 with 2 seconds left to force a two minute OT. Then same player from UA hit a 3 with 28.5 left to give UA a 1 point lead. Trojans come down work the ball around then Seth Bratchett drove the lane with 5 seconds left and made a leaner as time expired and was also fouled to get the and one.

PHS wins 63-62 OT

Very great day of basketball as Northlands looked good and so did Toledo St. Johns and future 6-7 SF Marc Lovings. The future Buckeye is definitely the real deal and was great to watch. Saw a lot of other great teams as well. I know Chillicothe was there and won their first game vs Dayton Fairmont but lost their second game vs Walnut Ridge.

Proud of the Trojans as they battled and never gave up. Probably the best outing this summer. All around great performances all day especially the Canton GlenOak game as PHS ran them out of the gym. Starters were pulled with 8 minutes left and 58-28. Great job Trojans and always keep working.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

trojan7: Thanks for the updates all day Saturday........wish I could have been there to see our Trojans........proud of the way they battled some very large D1 schools........I looked up the enrollment of the 3 Ohio schools that PHS played........Gahanna 880 boys, Canton GlenOak 745 boys, Upper Arlington 685 boys.......compared to Portsmouth's 179........and both Gahanna and GlenOak made the D1 regionals last season, and I believe Upper Arlington made it to the district finals in D1. Gahanna in fact has gone 49-3 the last 2 seasons, and made the Final 4 two years ago.

To win that last game vs. UA after coming off the Gahanna loss, and with all the cramping that we had, shows a lot of heart in our kids. Portsmouth improved its summer record to 15-4.

On Tuesday, the Trojans will play in a summer league game at PHS, starting at 6PM, opponent TBD, then on Thursday and Friday will play in the Ironton Shootout.......times TBD, but it is likely that Friday's session will start in the morning.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Tobias: Haven't heard about the dates of the camp, but if I find out, I will post it.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

What teams will the Trojans be playing in the Ironton shootout?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Grinder: I don't know at this time who the Trojans will play, but I would assume that one of the teams will be Ironton........I believe that there are supposed to be a couple of Columbus schools participating........and with it being a two-day event, there are probably a good number of teams in it.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Wow, seems like the Trojans have had an impressive summer so far. Who is running the point right now?

I really like Duke Edwards out there filling Trey’s spot from last season. Duke is a big body and a physical ball player. Watch Duke play JV last season, and was very impressed by him. I am looking forward to seeing him bang the boards at the varsity level.

I see above before Wayne was playing that Zaide Lenny and Seth had all been normal starters, but who has assumed the vacancy left by Andrew’s graduation? Or has Wayne assume the spot since returning much as he did at the beginning of last season. Honestly Andrew’s leaves some big shoes to fill, but I think we have a plethora of choices to choice from with Zaide, Lenny, Seth, LJ, or even Cody Stapleton being able to take over.

I haven’t seen them play any during the summer, with Zaide already being a normal starter, and Wayne running the 2 so successfully last year I assume we would want to fill the void with one of the 3 others.

Cody will more than likely turnout to an important part of the program in years to come. He has great dribbles and is tough on d, but it would be a lot to ask of a sophomore to step into a team who has such high aspirations. I look for him to split time on JV and varsity this year.

Lenny and Seth, have both been on the varsity since their sophomore year, and have both came up big at times when we needed them. Both have good games and have shown that they can shoot, as well as play d. Between the two of them I probably give the nod to Seth because I believe he has a little bit of a speed advantage on Lenny, which makes him a bit of a better defender, and I think he has a better shot. However I believe Lenny is a better passer and can feed the ball to the open man, a little better. It really comes down to what we want out of the point, do we want another scoring threat, or someone to get the ball to Dion, Wayne, Zaide and Duke.

LJ, is quick and can play d. Last season, he show that he is also a 3 point threat. As one of the seniors I think he may get a shot at it. Think he is as quick as Seth, but doesn’t have the height, or wingspan Seth has. He is the best mix of every attribute, and as one of the 3 seniors I’m sure will have his chance to step up to fill the spot.

Zaide, I’m sure would be a good fit at the point, but is he more valuable elsewhere? Wayne in my opinion would undoubtedly be the best point but he is also the best SG, so where is he more valuable? I think SG.

I’m sure Coach Collins already has it all figured out, give us a heads up who is playing where Dave.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Trojan_fb

Been a very exciting summer. To answer some of your questions. When Wayne was gone the tourney at Waverly we had Zaide running the point. But then at rio we had Seth run the point. But then since Wayne has been back he has primarily been the 1. With some times Zaide and Seth would switch with him. Lenny has gotten much much faster and really shown alot of leadership and great hustle this summer also heard heis running cross country to work on his conditioning. LJ Adams has been huge off the bench with being a lock down defender on the other team's fastest player. Duke has really stepped into his role and can bring so much to the table. Tenacious D, Quick, very strong = mix for a great year. I agree Cody will be a HUGE asset and could spell some great varsity minutes when needed. Jaylenn Carter also is improving and developing an all around game. Also Kyle Ratliff and JW Horsley have given the Trojans depth and strength in the post. Still early on with alot of things to work on. But they seem to be working in the right direction. Keep working hard Trojans!

Go Trojans!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Sounds like Coach Collins is testing all his options. I think any of them could run the point, this is a great problem to have. By what you have told me sounds like we are looking as Wayne as the number 1, but still testing our options.

Glad to hear Lenny is working hard, I have always liked his game but his weakest part has been his speed. My hats off to Lenny for going the extra mile to improve himself, and help the team.
Glad to hear that LJ is doing well also. He would start at most schools around, and I think he will see some starts this year for PHS as well. It just goes to show how deep we are.
Also pleased to hear that JW, and Kyle are doing well. The addition of them should help us deepen the bench and lessen the load on Dion, Duke, Mason, and Trevor.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Excellent analysis by both Trojan FB Alum and trojan7..........

I am really excited about the 2011-2012 Trojans........Coach Collins has more options available to him this year, and a much deeper bench........despite the loss of Bendolph and Underwood, PHS will put a very athletic team on the court that can score and defend.

Varsity newcomers Duke Edwards and Jayllen Carter will be very important to the success of the Trojans, and so far this summer have shown they are up to the task at hand.

Duke may be the most versatile player on the team, having the ability to play the 2, 3, or 4 positions.......He is fearless and will take a charge from a freight train or fight for rebounds from much taller opponents........Jayllen has a nice stroke on his jumper, but has shown the ability to go to the hole when the opportunity is there. At 6-1 with good hops, Jayllen can also pull the ball off the glass as well.

I also think that Mason Jordan will play a very large role in the success of the Trojans, because he along with Duke can play several positions and at 6-3 can help out on rebounding.

Good to see Kyle Ratliff and J.W.Horsley with the varsity this year, and they will be very much needed for depth on the frontline and to give Dion McKinley a rest. Trevor Violette and Robert Grubbs will bolster this group as well.

Dion, Wayne, Zaide, Seth, Lenny, and L.J., and Mason have been with the program for several years now and have made a special impact on a program that finished in 10th place in the SEOAL just 5 years ago. I remember when they were 7th graders and went undefeated. I was thinking at the time that if we could keep them together, something special could happen. Last year it became reality when we made the Final 4.......along with Tre and Andrew.

Those once 7th graders are now seniors.......and they want to go out in a big way.

All these kids made the Portsmouth community very proud........they brought the standard back that was so long a PHS tradition........state tournament aspirations.......and to have a Trojan coaching them, Eugene Collins, made it all the more special.

I don't think there's any question that we will have another special year in 2011-2012.......just how it plays out we shall see.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Results of the first day of the Ironton Shootout:

Portsmouth lost to Ironton big in the first game, then the Trojans posted 3 straight wins over Ashland(KY), Huntington St.Joe, and Symmes Valley.........a 5 minute game tournament was held after the 4 games, and PHS beat Ironton St.Joe, then lost to Columbus Walnut Ridge.

Teams also playing are Greenfield McClain, Piketon, and Columbus Africentric.

Play continues tomorrow and will start at approximately 11AM........opponents for the Trojans to be determined, but they could be playing the teams they didn't play today.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Did Portsmouth have their whole Team there, if so what was the score and what made the difference in the game for Ironton to win big?

I should make the games tomorrow.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

thx for the updates, interesting stuff coming out of Southern Ohio.Was the Ironton game a case of dominating the Trojans?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Wasn't at the game yesterday but Ironton won by 17. I went to the games today and will post the scores of all the games I watched later when I get to my computer.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

OH Buckeye1: I missed the Ironton game on Thursday and the next 2 games, but did watch the Trojans beat Symmes Valley........from my understanding, the Fighting Tigers won handily over PHS.......and we had our whole squad there........evidently it was a case of Ironton just being much better on that day.......playing for IHS was Trey Fletcher, Trevor White, Zac Carter, Josh Glover, Dion Brown, and several others who I am not familiar with.

Friday's results from the Ironton Shootout:

Portsmouth went 3-1, beating Peebles, Hurricane(WV), and Racine Southern, while losing to Columbus Africentric........overall, the Trojans went 6-2 in the shootout (regular games--not counting the 5 minute tournament game on Thursday). PHS only had 7 players available due to football camp at OSU the same day.........missing were Mason Jordan, Duke Edwards, L.J.Adams, and Kyle Ratliff.

Other interesting results on Thursday/Friday: Ironton lost close games to Africentric, Chillicothe, and Walnut Ridge........I thought that Walnut Ridge was the best team that I saw, but Africentric had a real nice team also. In the Chillicothe game vs. Ironton, the Cavaliers got good support from the 3 new starters to go with Malik London and Zach Johnson........Chillicothe also beat Greenfield McClain later that day.

Ironton has a very good team........the starting 5 looks to be solid and well rounded.......no question they will be a serious contender for the D3 regional crown........and there's also no question that the Trojans are better than what they showed vs. IHS.

Proud of our kids for playing shorthanded on Friday, yet they still played hard every game......and obviously were very tired at the end........they have played a lot of basketball this summer..........overall record right now stands at 21-6.

Nice to chat with Trey Fletcher's dad and 86Tiger........also got to talk to Brent Eaton, McClain head coach.
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth will play in the Bannon Park Classic next weekend, and on July 9th (Saturday) will host Peebles, Kettering Fairmont, and Clayton Northmont in a shootout........starting time is approximately 10 AM.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

summer shootouts are good for the kids tha really want to play and Improve their game..win or lose...loks like if all these teams stay together,and no one quits or anything , it should be a very good season for most.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The shootout scheduled for July 9th has been cancelled due to the Trojans not having enough players to play........a number of kids are going to be out of town........so as of right now the summer season is over.........a very good summer it was........overall, the Trojans went 23-8 and the most important thing gained from this summer is that PHS should have a very strong bench in 2011-2012, which will bring dividends on both ends of the court.

Overall participation was excellent, as in most of the shootouts the Trojans fielded 8-10 players........the senior class showed up in strong numbers.

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

Post by D_Journey9 »

The trojans will be lost without Bendolph....he put them on his back and carried them to state semifinal...and if he wouldnt have got in foul trouble they prolly would have won it all...trojans will have a good season tho but they wont make a run like last year without bendolph

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

D_Journey9 wrote:The trojans will be lost without Bendolph....he put them on his back and carried them to state semifinal...and if he wouldnt have got in foul trouble they prolly would have won it all...trojans will have a good season tho but they wont make a run like last year without bendolph
Portsmouth lost relatively little compared to some to some teams in the district though. Peebles lost 8(3 starters) of their 12 or 13 on varsity, Chesapeake lost a Bendolph type leader for their team in Nathan Copley and their anchor in the post Colin Kennedy, and Wheelersburg lost a large number major role players(Stegman, McBee, Shankweiler, Ballard, etc.) so for the most part the district is wide open this season and Portsmouth has as good(if not better) a chance as any to win it. The only serious contender from last season that has gotten stronger in D3, IMO, is Ironton.

Return to “Boys Basketball”