Eastern Coach

supermama
Freshman Team

Re: Eastern Coach

Post by supermama »

KIDS ARE DEFINITELY NOT TRASH! And the ability to play sports is not what determines a child's worth. The Eastern students are some of the most courteous and helpful around. And all you great "ball" minds should never count any group of players out! They may just surprise a few people. GO EAGLES!

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

supermama wrote:KIDS ARE DEFINITELY NOT TRASH! And the ability to play sports is not what determines a child's worth. The Eastern students are some of the most courteous and helpful around. And all you great "ball" minds should never count any group of players out! They may just surprise a few people. GO EAGLES!
So right!
The only people that would consider kids trash, are people who are trash themselves.
I coached against these boys when they were 7th graders, they were great kids and played tough. They did have a certain quailty I liked.
I might have an interest in this position.
I think I will enter my pony in the race, and see where it finishes.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

My two cents: "Eich" might be a heckuva coach. He was a great athlete back in the day at Eastern playing a lot of sports. I think he was principal at Meigs and don't know if he retired yet or not ?

amazinghocks
JV Team

Post by amazinghocks »

Eich is the Principal at Belpre.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Ike would be a good one,but so would coach Weber.It demands a lot of time and commitment,which not many people have in todays world.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I'd say if you looked at their JV team (did they even win a game) and did they even have a freshman team that may be why he left.

Maximus the Merciful
Waterboy

Post by Maximus the Merciful »

They are supposedly interviewing a young man from the Findlay area who's father is somewhat of a coaching legend in Northern Ohio. He was associated with the Findlay Oiler basketball program. Findlay was Div. 2 NCAA national champs a few yrs back and actually beat Ohio State in the preseason. The young man's father is currently the head coach at Toledo St. Francis, a Div. 1 H.S. team. He would be a great hire for a rebuilding program and would bring youth and enthusiasm to the Eastern program.

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

I have a few questions for the Eagle faithful:

1. Did Howie run "The Wheel" at Eastern? According to the kids, we have been toying with it during closed door sessions this summer.

2. Did kids at Eastern have to learn to shoot free throws "granny style"? Seems this is another current experiment of our new coach.

Rumor is Howie is looking to make us old school in our approach to the game. He even is ordering Chucky Taylors for us to wear in games.

bistro
Waterboy

Post by bistro »

LOL
Last edited by bistro on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bistro
Waterboy

Post by bistro »

Oops!
Last edited by bistro on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bistro
Waterboy

Post by bistro »

This is fun!
Last edited by bistro on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

That's why he has closed sessions because of parents like you. Get use to it or take your kid home.

Satelite
Waterboy

Post by Satelite »

Bistro, are there any applicants for the basketball job? I have not heard of anyone wanting the job. They advertised the opening in the local newspapers and such for a couple months, yet still did not get any bites of significance to my knowledge. How are the powers to be responsible for not hiring from a list of empty applicants?

bcnu
Freshman Team

Post by bcnu »

Bistro,

Step up to the plate and apply yourself. It is hard to find somebody when no teaching jobs are available.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

beecee wrote:Bistro,

Step up to the plate and apply yourself. It is hard to find somebody when no teaching jobs are available.
Yes, and it is too bad for the kids that they hired Howie back as a teacher even though he is going to coach at FH. They sure could use that teaching position to help attract a coach now could't they?

Satelite
Waterboy

Post by Satelite »

Since when do schools fire their tenured teachers, due to the fact that they are coaching a sport elsewhere? Not to mention good teachers that are highly respected by those "kids" from which you mention. I may be wrong, but I believe that this occurs from time to time. Didn't Norm Persin do it for years between Oak Hill and Peake? Teaching and coaching at different schools, for me, is not a conflict. What is a conflict is coaching basketball at FH and volleyball at Eastern. That is not going to work.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Titletown TVC wrote:Spoke to a board member the other day at Taz's and he said they were courting some coaches. The names i was given were:
1. Chris Stout
2. Jordan Hill
3. Dennis Eichinger - supposedly this was a hot topic during executive session
4. Jeff Caldwell
5. Benny Ewing
6. Rick Edwards

These names were in no particular preference and the board member said they hoped to a coach in place by then end of July.

(1) Stout got out of coaching.
(2) Hill has never won a tournament game and that is not going to cut it at Eastern.
(3) Eich has coached at Eastern before but has an administration job else where.
(4) Caldwell teacher and coach at Southern so why would he go where there is no teaching position?
(5) Ewing coach at Meigs.
(6) Edwards is county super no way he can coach.
So go make up something else.

CoachBrittonFL
Freshman Team

Post by CoachBrittonFL »

I heard from a source they are interviewing the young man from Findlay at the end of this week so maybe by the end of the following week Eastern will finallly have a coach and this will all be over

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Satelite wrote:Since when do schools fire their tenured teachers, due to the fact that they are coaching a sport elsewhere? Not to mention good teachers that are highly respected by those "kids" from which you mention. I may be wrong, but I believe that this occurs from time to time. Didn't Norm Persin do it for years between Oak Hill and Peake? Teaching and coaching at different schools, for me, is not a conflict. What is a conflict is coaching basketball at FH and volleyball at Eastern. That is not going to work.
Norm lived in Oak Hill while teaching and coaching in Chesapeake. He never did teach at Oak Hill and coach at Peake.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Satelite wrote:Since when do schools fire their tenured teachers, due to the fact that they are coaching a sport elsewhere? Not to mention good teachers that are highly respected by those "kids" from which you mention. I may be wrong, but I believe that this occurs from time to time. Didn't Norm Persin do it for years between Oak Hill and Peake? Teaching and coaching at different schools, for me, is not a conflict. What is a conflict is coaching basketball at FH and volleyball at Eastern. That is not going to work.
Since Howie is retired and is double dipping he is no longer tenured at Eastern. He has to be rehired each year. Though I was told that he played games with Eastern, initially declining the FH position since Eastern had not rehired him yet. Then once Eastern rehired him to teach he accepted the FH position. Pretty crafty huh? :mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”