OHSAA approves 22 game schedule beginning in 2012

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Re: OHSAA approves 22 game schedule beginning in 2012

Post by Diehard Fan »

The level of play has dropped dramatically at Warren in last 3 years because kids are burnt out from all the summer leagues and stupid practices run by the coaches at Warren. Cut the season by 4 games would be better.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Sad news.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

The bottom line is the reason the competition level has dropped is lots of kids parents can't afford the travel and if kids want to do anything besides go to school they have to work for gas money and auto insurance cause parents are striggleing to make ends meet hopefully things will improve but it's going to be a while till we see the results I fear.

pitt87fan
Freshman Team

Post by pitt87fan »

diehard - you still have a problem with Coach Maddox and Duckworth? Thought you gave that up the last couple years. Seems you are in the minority. Just ask those that know about basketball and teaching young men life lessons as well as basketball. I guess you or your son must have felt that entitlement thing. I figured you would have would have moved on by now.

Level of play dropping dramatically at Warren? Have you been to a game. They have made their deepest tourney runs the last couple of years. Players continuing at the next level etc. I would argue just the opposite. Finally some kids you take the game serious and are willing to work on their game year round.

Coach Maddox and his program are very well respected in southern ohio.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Now need 1100 career points for Wall of Fames

Riverhog
Waterboy

Post by Riverhog »

I don't see much difference in what two more games make. As a fan I enjoy the additional opportunities to watch the games, and as a player I would enjoy playing.

Financially, when you look at how much parents are paying to send their children to camps or AAU ball etc. The chefs figures are inexpensive compared to those fees. And honestly, would schools make that much of a profit for the two extra games? I would think it would be minimal at best. Now I am not saying that there isn't a family out there that may have such a hardship financially, but I think it would be a very very small percentage. The argument could be made that a child whose family cannot afford AAU ball financially, might get a benefit of playing those two additional games. If for nothing else the enjoyment to play a couple of more times a year.

The don't think playing too much has hurt the level of play.  I think the some of the problem is if a child wants to be one of the best, or considered one of the elite in his/her field there will come a time when they specialize in one sport.  Yes! You can play basketball almost all year round. You can also do this with soccer, volleyball, track events, as well. When athletes do this they can't contribute to the other sports, so you limit  some of the talent pool. But the flip side is if you don't specialize, then it is harder to compete against the children who do. 

I think everyone can agree that children these days have way more opportunity than even 10-15 years ago. The debate can be made if that is good or bad. I guess in the grand scheme of things I don't see two extra games causing a big issue.

Return to “Boys Basketball”