3.Evans (Portsmouth)
4.Mckinely (Portsmouth)
5.Mcmaster (Chesapeake)
6.Yates (Valley)

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Re: Top Seniors in the area 2011-2012

Post by TribeManiac10 »

independent2012 wrote:1.Kretzer (Waverly)
2.London (Chillicothe)
3.Evans (Portsmouth)
4.Mckinely (Portsmouth)
5.Mcmaster (Chesapeake)
6.Yates (Valley)
I would agree with the list above although I think Malik London is still very raw and he gets judged often on potential rather than production. Hes a great defensive big but not in the same league as everyone else on the above list offensively. Since im an SHL homer and that is where I observe the most basketball during the winter I will put my top seniors for the conference below.

SHL Seniors(Not in order):
Pos./Name/School/Last season's accomplishments

SG-Travis Combs-Manchester-(First team all state, I believe second in the conference in scoring, 19ppg)
PF-Jake Daniels-Peebles-(All District, 3rd or 4th in league in rebounds, second in blocked shots, 11ppg)
PG/SG-Jordan Payne-Eastern Brown-(All District, leading scorer for the sectional champion Eastern Brown Warriors)
SG-Jordan Mitchell-Ripley-(All District, 11ppg)
PF-Logan Perkins-Ripley-(All League, 3rd or 4th in the league in rebounding, 13ppg)
PG-Tyler Davidson-Lynchburg Clay-(9ppg, sectional runners up)

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

Raw please explain that to me in your next post Tribe.This guy (London) is simply a game changer he does not have to score 20pts a game to be a force,high per centage shots which I consider to be in the paint drop drastically against the Cavs,its called intemidation,ask colledge scouts around the country,high major I might add,and you say judged on potential,what do you judge on,I'm not a Cav,not even close to being one,but he is the best big in this area in the past 20 years. IMO

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

independent2012 wrote:Raw please explain that to me in your next post Tribe.This guy (London) is simply a game changer he does not have to score 20pts a game to be a force,high per centage shots which I consider to be in the paint drop drastically against the Cavs,its called intemidation,ask colledge scouts around the country,high major I might add,and you say judged on potential,what do you judge on,I'm not a Cav,not even close to being one,but he is the best big in this area in the past 20 years. IMO
I judge a person's game on complete package right now. I agree he is very good defensively but your last sentence is a stretch. IMO The best player at a position in the last two decades should not be limited in any fashion and he isnt as polished offensively as any of those other players beyond the occasional highlight dunk. He has the potential to develop though (I have noticed an improvement in his jump shot since last year). Im not trying to disrespect the kid, he is lengthy and has a good vertical but I dont think many "high major" centers are going to be "intimidated" by 6'7"/6'8" 180.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

tribe,
has ripley named a new coach yet?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

sparky wrote:tribe,
has ripley named a new coach yet?
I havent heard anything definative at this point. It could potentially be Marty Adams who coached the JV.

independent2012
Freshman Team

OK you want to go there,Mr Guru,then name the center,if he was better I will say you are right I forgot about him,but until then he is the best and that just goes to show how good the kid is.#2 He is a better player/prospect than anyone in the shl the past 20 years,you may not think so but 98per cent of colledge scouts and coaches would.By the way he may not intemidate many colledge players at this time in his career but in high school he is one of the best in the country,do your homework.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

independent2012 wrote:OK you want to go there,Mr Guru,then name the center,if he was better I will say you are right I forgot about him,but until then he is the best and that just goes to show how good the kid is.#2 He is a better player/prospect than anyone in the shl the past 20 years,you may not think so but 98per cent of colledge scouts and coaches would.By the way he may not intemidate many colledge players at this time in his career but in high school he is one of the best in the country,do your homework.
Even that is wrong. Brian Grant I believe played in 1990-91(2 decades ago) for Georgetown(who was in the SHL at the time) and he ended up having a very successful career at Xavier and in the NBA.

independent2012
Freshman Team

That is 21 years I thougt I said 20,hind sight Grant would be better because of what he has achieved,but at the high school level I couldnt say,didnt see Grant. London can pick ACC,Big Ten,Big East,and a host of other conferences,however good argument.

independent2012
Freshman Team

Brian Grant graduated high school in 90

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

independent2012 wrote:That is 21 years I thougt I said 20,hind sight Grant would be better because of what he has achieved,but at the high school level I couldnt say,didnt see Grant. London can pick ACC,Big Ten,Big East,and a host of other conferences,however good argument.
I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. I was just making an observation based on watching him various times over the past two seasons. I would agree with your pick for #1 though. Jake Kretzer has the body and skill set of a high major wing right now. I think he will have a great career wherever he decides to go.

independent2012
Freshman Team

It is alright to disagree I am interested in your top ten Tribe.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

independent2012 wrote:It is alright to disagree I am interested in your top ten Tribe.
Overall its hard to say. If you go on who has the most potential then of course London and Kretzer are one and two. If its based solely on who I would want on my team if given the choice it would probably look like below. Also, I thought of a couple bigs to put him up against....(What about a Nick Aldridge, Cam Miller, DJ Cunningham, or Cam Thoroughman?)

Just off the top of my head....

1. Jake Kretzer-6'7" Wing who I think is at his best attacking the basket instead of shooting the three. There are just so many different things he can do for a team, especially at the high school level.

2. Dion McKinley-6'5" PF who can stretch the defense with his perimeter shooting as well as a soft touch around the basket. Defensively he rebounds well and uses his length as he should to alter anything an opposing player puts up.

3. Malik London-6'8" C that has more upside than anyone else on the list. Needs to add more to his offensive repertoire but defensively he is #1.

4. Austin McMaster-6'5" Wing who pretty much provides matchup problems like Kretzer. Hes too big for some guards and too quick for some post players.

5. Wayne Evans-6'1" Combo gaurd who has excellent court vision when running the point and is a streaky shooter when deciding to create something for himself.

6. Blake Yates-6'3" Wing whose shooting skill coupled with athleticism makes him a difficult matchup for a defense. I was also impressed with his defense when he played Peebles in the district semis two seasons ago.

7. Travis Combs-6'2" Wing who always seems to be where he is supposed to. Good spot up shooter.First team all-state last season.

8-10. Cant really put three more in order here. You could go with any of the other players I listed from the SHL or maybe an Eric Kennedy from Chesapeake or Evan Salyers from Fairland. Its very early on and I havent really been able to see many players from the TVC/SVC/OVC to this point.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

9/10. Cant really put two more in order here. You could go with any of the other players I listed from the SHL or maybe an Eric Kennedy from Chesapeake or Evan Salyers from Fairland. Its very early on and I havent really been able to see many players from the TVC/SVC/OVC to this point.

I watched Racine Southern from the TVC play Chillicothe at the Ironton shootout and they had a couple pretty good players for D4.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Grinder wrote:9/10. Cant really put two more in order here. You could go with any of the other players I listed from the SHL or maybe an Eric Kennedy from Chesapeake or Evan Salyers from Fairland. Its very early on and I havent really been able to see many players from the TVC/SVC/OVC to this point.

I watched Racine Southern from the TVC play Chillicothe at the Ironton shootout and they had a couple pretty good players for D4.
I agree. They should be in for a good season.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I may be mistaken, I think Portsmouths Dion McKinley is going to be a Junior this upcoming year?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Dion McKinley is a senior and Zach Johnson of Chillicothe is a junior.......he started some games as a freshman.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

trojandave wrote:Dion McKinley is a senior and Zach Johnson of Chillicothe is a junior.......he started some games as a freshman.
Ah ok. I thought Johnson was a senior.

jackson1017
Waterboy

Post by jackson1017 »

I'd say Colt Chapman from Jackson is one of the top seniors in the area. He's been looking really good in summer league so far and I'm sure he will continue to grow stronger and get better as the season approaches.

Return to “Boys Basketball”