SOC Central 2011-12

Jesco White
S

Re: SOC Central 2011-12

Post by Jesco White »

Swanker Pine wrote:If you were from the 778 you would know
Ok, I'll give you that. But, doesn't that just mean its the biggest rivalry to Webster? I really don't think it's the biggest rivalry in every sport for both schools. Considering my wife is "from the 574" and just bursted into laughter when I mentioned it, I'd say the Wheelersburg folks don't consider the Jeeps as their biggest rival. Although, the two schools have had some competitive Bball AND soccer games over the years.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

lets say 2000-2007 were the golden years of the Rivalry. Anytime Burg comes to town its a big deal, just like when Duke plays UNC.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Swanker Pine wrote:lets say 2000-2007 were the golden years of the Rivalry. Anytime Burg comes to town its a big deal, just like when Duke plays UNC.
I'll make sure to let my wife know that the last 2 years she was in high school, she got to cheer in a rivalry equivalent to Duke-UNC!! Which of the two is Burg, so I can know if I'm cuddling with a Carolina girl or a Dukie :lol:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

its the Duke-UNC of the SOC2....

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Burg and Webster have had some good battles but the "best rivalry in all sports" is a little more than a stretch. The Jeeps had a few solid and spectacular runs during the best 8-10 years. Having a stretch of big games against an opponent doesn't make this Duke-UNC. Most schools in the conference consider Burg their biggest rival because Burg has been the dominant school in the SOC. As Jesco said, Burg people don't consider SW their biggest rival. In football, West is probably their biggest historically competitive rival with the Minford and Valley rivalries building up steam. In baseball Burg and Valley has always been the biggest match up. I'd say soccer is the sport that has had the biggest battle between the Lick Run Lyra connection.

Rivalries are best when both sides have strong feelings of "dislike" for the other. My guess is if you take a poll from Burg fans and ex players, SW probably won't top the charts. At least not at a "Duke-UNC" level.

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

based on how successful the burg has been in the past at all sports, i believe all teams look at the burg as a rivalry...for this game i will go with webster but its still difficult to beat the burg

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Any news on the Clay@East game?

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

A Webster / Burg rival is the same as all the other SOC schools because Burg historically and always has had good strong teams. It's a fact that everybody knows. Webster and Burg might be the two most "related" schools because Vernon Township folks use to go to Burg school district. I would also say Webster vs. Minford, Oak Hill, East, Clay and maybe even Valley, throw Portsmouth in the last few years would be just as big a "rivals". Webster is the small school playing in the big ole' SOC-2 division. Everybody is our rival. Anything that doesn't kill you, LOL, is going to make you stronger. We have a great SOC conference. After the regular season, we all go to the state and start a run to Columbus. I go to many other schools basketball games and cheer them on when ever I can. Without Burg and the other schools, Webster would not be the very good Div. 4 school in the southeast that it is. Next time you go to the Convo. check out which schools have the most visits. Webster is right up there.

And who can forget a school that has a lovable Jeep for a mascot! There is another school in Indiana, BTW. :)

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Webster picks up the combo this weekend with a 12 point win over The Burg and a blowout against East. Both games featured 4 players in double digits. The Jeeps are 4-3(3-1) and play the Waverly Tigers next week.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

We're a go through the weekend. This is the time of year my schedule picks up again and updates become more erratic. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

Finally updated the standings to reflect Tuesday's results (left my file in the office and this is my first time back since then).

Looking ahead to tomorrow, SOC I leader Eastern will be traveling to Green to face a scrappy Bobcat team that has had eight of nine contests decided by 10 or less and five of its last six by five or less. The game of the night in the SOC II will be played in Lucasville where Valley will put its perfect SOC II record on the line against a visiting Jeeps team coming off a home loss to Waverly. A win by Valley (and one by Waverly at home vs. Northwest) would set up a showdown of SOC II unbeatens next Tuesday in Lucasville.

No conference games Saturday but a trio of SOC II schools (Waverly, Valley and South Webster) will be taking part in Chesapeake's Beasts of the Southeast tournament.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

We're a go through Friday's contests. Goodnight, Canada!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Great job X. Just a small correction Valley is 3-0 on the road and 6-1 at home. Nothing major, just thought I'd let you know.

Falconfever
Waterboy

Post by Falconfever »

Valley lost to Zane trace at Zane trace ? Right

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

You're right Crab's brother, and it's been fixed in the standings.

You're correct, as well, Falconfever, but I give that game neutral court billing (much like Waverly in games at the Pike County Holiday Classic played on the Tigers' home court).

Falconfever
Waterboy

Post by Falconfever »

True I forgot that was their classic

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

ttt

Wish this was put at the top!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Eaglesnest wrote:ttt

Wish this was put at the top!
I pm'd biggdowgg, so it should get stickied soon.

The_X_Factor
JV Team

Post by The_X_Factor »

You guys have to warn me if you're going to start sticky talk. I won't take a few days off and make this thread look so far behind if I know it's under intense scrutiny!

We're up through Tuesday's contests. Fun fact: The SOC II standings go 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7 in the conference wins column from bottom to top and 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7 in the conference losses column from top to bottom. That seems like it'd be a rarity.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

ttt

Return to “Boys Basketball”