5 Starters averaging Double Figures

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

5 Starters averaging Double Figures

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Anybody know of any high school team around this year or in the past who had all 5 starters averaging double figures for a season?

Alitown
Freshman Team

Re: 5 Starters averaging Double Figures

Post by Alitown »

the 08-09 Valley Indians team had six guys who were close. I know four starters average double figures, with Utley, Cunningham, Arbaugh, and Yates. I cant remember if Gibson or Winters averaged 10 a game or not. if not they were very close

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

The ND Titans are very close to that....they are a very balanced-scoring team

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

I would say it would be very hard to accomplish today with most teams only averaging between 50 - 60 pts per game. One way this statistical anomaly could be accomplished is if your star player gets hurt and misses half the season. Thats why I would put a 10 game minimum when determining if 5 players really averaged double figures for a season.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

McMasters, Kennedy, Hintz, Thompson and Noble were all averaging in double figures after 18 games this season for Chesapeake. The Panthers were scoring 75 per game up until that time. Don't have the final stats, but there is a good chance that all 5 starters are still averaging in double figures.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

1990 West Union Varsity had 4 double digit scorers and one who averaged 9. The numbers were 21ppg, 17ppg, 13 ppg, 11 ppg, 9 ppg. That team averaged well over 70 points per game and had almost no bench.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Federal had a team in the early 90's that broke 100 7 or 8 times and had five kids average double figures. Cozart, Bobo, Watson, Summerfield, and Shuford.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Nat Watson was 2nd Team All-State in 1991. Did somebody (Belpre) upset Federal Hocking that year in the Sectionals?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

i would guess the burg team of miller, spradlin, jenkins, cowgill, and whoever the 5th starter was did. and also probably the burg team in 02 with burleson and those guys might have.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

1991 Hannan Trac team accomplished the feat!!!!

Craig Rankin, Jason Black, Richie Cornell, Todd Boothe, and JJ Bevan averaged 10+ a game. Also, the 6th man was close to 10 a game. This team was beaten by Tri-Valley in the regionals!!!

The Rock
Waterboy

Post by The Rock »

Show me the teams with 5 in double figues and then show me the records. I bet I can show you some winners. Team basketball is not as complicated as some make it - Defending 5 is quite a task. Check to see how many wins 65+ will get you most of the time. Scoring should only help a good defensive effot.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

transplant wrote:i would guess the burg team of miller, spradlin, jenkins, cowgill, and whoever the 5th starter was did. and also probably the burg team in 02 with burleson and those guys might have.
I'm not certain about that group with Miller, Spradlin, Jenkins, Cowgill and company (though I don't think they did because they were fairly deep if I remember correctly), but I'd bet the farm that the '02 group with Burleson didn't do it as everything offensively went through Drew. I believe Yelley averaged double-digits and Winebrenner & Webb contributed some double-digit games, but I don't think they were anywhere close to having 5 average double-figures for an entire season.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Ironton St.Joe 1976. Gagai, Waginger, Kline, Miller and Swarts. Great team, only problem Peake and Oak Hill were both loaded and kept ISJ from winning the OVC and Sectional.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Lynchburg Clay this season has 4 kids averaging ten or more and one that averages about 7.

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

The current Titans starting five:
JP Kayser 12.6 pts/game
Brad Pierron 11.6 pts/game
Tyler Noel 11.1 pts/game
Michael Mader 7.8 pts/game
Kevin Lewis 9.9 pts/game

PRETTY DARN CLOSE!!!

All 5 have led in scoring at least one game this year.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

moose wrote:McMasters, Kennedy, Hintz, Thompson and Noble were all averaging in double figures after 18 games this season for Chesapeake. The Panthers were scoring 75 per game up until that time. Don't have the final stats, but there is a good chance that all 5 starters are still averaging in double figures.
I dont have the total numbers either...but hintz scored 26 a couple games ago and noble 28 tonight. My guess is all five are still in double digits. If im not mistaken I think three starters scored over 20 each tonight. Noble, Kennedy and Mcmaster. Threes were falling from the sky like skittles.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

i stand corrected. Kennedy had 17 tonight. Noble had 29, McMaster had 23, Kennedy 17, Thompson 13, Hintz 9. But i'm pretty sure they are all averaging double figures for the year.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

ovc fan wrote:i stand corrected. Kennedy had 17 tonight. Noble had 29, McMaster had 23, Kennedy 17, Thompson 13, Hintz 9. But i'm pretty sure they are all averaging double figures for the year.
Did the Peake bench not play much tonight or did the starters just absolutely go off? By those numbers you listed, the starters had 91 out of the Panthers' 95 total points in a 50-point win, that I had assumed saw the subs play a large portion of the second half. If the subs played a lot, then the starters must have absolutely exploded!! I knew the Panthers were outstanding, but that is definitely an explosion to put up that many points in a game where they should have gotten some well earned rest.

NTHZONE
Waterboy

Post by NTHZONE »

JESCO Thats Peakes achillies heal the bench, they cant afford to get in foul trouble at all .

Return to “Boys Basketball”