Southern (18-3) Vs. Manchester (13-8) @Convo 3/6

Super trooper
All State

Re: Southern (18-3) Vs. Manchester (13-8) @Convo 3/6

Post by Super trooper »

Roseberry did all he can to keep Southern in it. I believe the best team won, this just shows how weak the TVC really is

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

hound_pound_mhs wrote:
Out of Bounds wrote:Southern is a well coached team and a talented team that had a bad night last night. Manchester appears to be peaking at the right time. Starting to hit shots from the outside which lets Gaffen do his thing in the middle. When you have two or three shooters hitting the 3 ball like that, they will be a tough out for anyone. It goes to show how good a team can be when the 3 ball is falling. Watching them click on all cylinders last night makes me wonder how they lost 8 games? I'm assuming they didn't shoot as well????
Manchester comes to play every year at tourny time, they did lose 8 games during the regular season but that doesnt matter due to the fact we could had only lost 1 game and we would still get screwed at the draw like we do every year. The boys from manchester play there best in the tourny just like every year. we play a touch regular season schedule to get all the kinks worked out the ball team before the games that actually count get here.
Manchester got the 1 seed last year and played Whiteoak in the district finals?
I definitely do not think Manchester gets screwed in the draw, Lockhart goes and plays that way for a reason, it helps him in draw time. Congrats to Manchester but the comment about getting screwed at the draw like every year makes no sense. I do believe they should have been the 3 this year.

airforcejm
Varsity

Post by airforcejm »

I think this was the best shooting performance from Manchester that i've seen all year.

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

It was a tough loss for Southern. I've watched them play, what fun it was. Last night they started strong but just didn't seemed to be the Southern we've seen all year. Rarely do they get beat on the boards and their 3's just didn't seem to be there. Oh well, that's why they play 'em I guess. :122247

Not taking anything away from M-Chester, but a really good team had an off-night, but you have to have your "A" game going in post-season.

To the Southern players, you'll be missed. It was fun watching you guys play the last 2-3 years. 18-4 is nothing to sneeze at. But I also think that they've got some good talent coming up also. I certainly don't think this is the end of tourneys for Caldwell and gang.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Congrats to Manchester on the win. Congrats to Southern on a great year. A buddy of mine went to the game and said Southern's defense was just not there as they gave up to many wide open shots to Combs and Rickets?

Good luck to Manchester moving forward.

johnny ringo
Freshman Team

Post by johnny ringo »

Fan-o-Southern wrote:It was a tough loss for Southern. I've watched them play, what fun it was. Last night they started strong but just didn't seemed to be the Southern we've seen all year. Rarely do they get beat on the boards and their 3's just didn't seem to be there. Oh well, that's why they play 'em I guess. :122247

Not taking anything away from M-Chester, but a really good team had an off-night, but you have to have your "A" game going in post-season.

To the Southern players, you'll be missed. It was fun watching you guys play the last 2-3 years. 18-4 is nothing to sneeze at. But I also think that they've got some good talent coming up also. I certainly don't think this is the end of tourneys for Caldwell and gang.
They had an off night because they werent playing miller, trimble, eastern, fed hock, etc.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Hard to say the schedule had anything to do with last night's game. Southern plays a 16 game league schedule which makes it tough to make it much harder with only 4 non-league. Always play Meigs and River Valley which unfortunately both were down this year. Also played Alexander who has been good in the past, but not this year, and Wellston who had a pretty good year making the Convo. Remember Southern has had success in tourney play when they haven't ran into Manchester. Beat #1 seed South Webster two years ago, and won district 3 years ago.

johnny ringo
Freshman Team

Post by johnny ringo »

celticpride wrote:Hard to say the schedule had anything to do with last night's game. Southern plays a 16 game league schedule which makes it tough to make it much harder with only 4 non-league. Always play Meigs and River Valley which unfortunately both were down this year. Also played Alexander who has been good in the past, but not this year, and Wellston who had a pretty good year making the Convo. Remember Southern has had success in tourney play when they haven't ran into Manchester. Beat #1 seed South Webster two years ago, and won district 3 years ago.
different team, different schedule. this year has nothing to do with the past.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Someone earlier had said Southern played a cupcake schedule, and that is why they didn't do well in tournament time, not just this year, and that was what I was referring to. This year Southern won some tough road games (at Belpre easily, at Federal Hocking easily, and close ones at South Gallia and Waterford), however, they were never behind like they were last night and didn't know how to respond. I would have to agree that this might be because they weren't challenged enough within their conference.
Manchester has had a ton of talent the last five years and everybody has had trouble beating them except Oak Hill who is back in D3. Thought this year Southern could beat them, but definitely not last night.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I was pulling for Southern but hats off to Manchester. They had a couple good shooters. The Drummer kid is going to be really good for Southern for years to come. Roseberry played well but just wasn't enough. Great Season Southern and Coach Caldwell.

spectator
Waterboy

Post by spectator »

Havnt seen the complete stats yet but the way Mchester shot the ball they could have beaten anyone last night. No excuses but Southern had an off night shooting the ball. Roseberry had a good night & I think Martin was 5 for 8 for 3 pointers. Taylor is usually good for 10 to 15 a game but has been sick the last 2 days which didn't help him. Southern just missed to many easy shots that they usually make. Four of Southerns players are avg. 10 to 16 a game. Hats off to Mchester but interested to see if they can keep shooting the ball that well.Time will tell! Good luck against South Webster Sat.

HoundsAre4Real
JV Team

Post by HoundsAre4Real »

The reason they had that many players avg that many points is because they dont PLAY anyone! They always have a good record but no noise in tourney. This game is over and Manchester proved that Southern was overrated, so move on and stop talking about this game. Oh and I forgot GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! Lol

BePurple
Waterboy

Post by BePurple »

Wow houndsare4real you are quite the sportsman aren't you. Since southern was so overrated and didn't play anybody all year then you shouldn't be so excited about beating them. Enjoy the victory but don't be putting down the team you just beat

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Southern did not play great defense, and some of the key players didn't play very well. Roseberry, Martin, and Drummer played well, but outside of that, not much production. Those three seem to have good energy and some of the others did not. I did hear Taylor went and worked out for Rio Grande baseball on Monday during school, and that couldn't have helped if he was really sick, and that was probably poor timing. This team had a great season, but they never really clicked on all cylinders and didn't play their best against a team that appeared to be playing their best.

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

HoundsAre4Real wrote:The reason they had that many players avg that many points is because they dont PLAY anyone! They always have a good record but no noise in tourney. This game is over and Manchester proved that Southern was overrated, so move on and stop talking about this game. Oh and I forgot GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! Lol

Roseberry put 25 points up on your team dick head I guess you must not be anyone?

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

I read in the newspaper Manchester shot around 57%. Tough to beat a team shooting like that. What a great game Roseberry and Martin played for their final game. I'm going to miss watching their engery on the floor and the rest of the seniors, Hill, Ginther, Roberts, Custer and Taylor. Good luck to the seniors!

airforcejm
Varsity

Post by airforcejm »

George Jones wrote:
HoundsAre4Real wrote:The reason they had that many players avg that many points is because they dont PLAY anyone! They always have a good record but no noise in tourney. This game is over and Manchester proved that Southern was overrated, so move on and stop talking about this game. Oh and I forgot GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! Lol

Roseberry put 25 points up on your team dick head I guess you must not be anyone?
....and they still lost. Roseberry alone can't carry the team.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

By saying Southern was overrated is just putting down your own team for beating them.

That was a terrible game by southern defense. Nobody could stay with Ricketts and once combs got roseberry picked off him no one else could guard him.

Good luck hounds, if you shoot at that % you will never lose a game.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Southern definitely deserved to lose this game, and they should have played better than what they did and could have given Manchester a better game with better defense. However, judging by the scores from last night, it is a shame that it appears to prove what we already knew, that the #1 seed had a tougher road to the district championship than the #2 and #4 seed from their own sectional. I know Notre Dame had a great record and they had to get the #1 in the valley sectional, but South Gallia beating them, shows they wouldn't have been nearly as tough for Southern since Southern beat SG twice, and we don't even want to mention how bad Southern would have beat East. Probably at least as bad as Eastern Pike did.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The top bracket was ridiculous tough IMO ... Manchester, Southern and South Webster?

I'm thinking they NEED to re-seed these teams once they qualify for the district tournament ... This happens every year ... Warren and Fairland should not have played in the first game in DII ... Huntington having to play Chesapeake right off the rip didn't seem right in D3 ... Every year, every division - this happens.

Return to “Boys Basketball”