SE

Re: District Championship Fairland vs Waverly @The Convo 3/9

Post by bengalfan76 »

70-59 Waverly

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

Way 2 go Waverly SOC2 flexing its muscles!!!!!! Next up Valley and Ports and it's gonna get lively!!!!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

you cant stop kretzer with one guy I said this at the beginning of the season if you dont faceguard him and then give help there isnt anyone going to keep him from getting his in southern ohio, hes as good as we have seen in the area for a long time. And if he gets his 30 along with the rest of the team playing good defense like they can, they can play with any team in the area.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

crazymidgets wrote:you cant stop kretzer with one guy I said this at the beginning of the season if you dont faceguard him and then give help there isnt anyone going to keep him from getting his in southern ohio, hes as good as we have seen in the area for a long time. And if he gets his 30 along with the rest of the team playing good defense like they can, they can play with any team in the area.
I agree completely! That's why I thought it was more emotion than knowledge when people were predicting that the Riley kid from Fairland would shut him down. It's truly no disrespect to Riley or the Dragons, Kretzer is just that skilled offensively. The Tigers do a great job of running their offense through him and he does a good job of getting his own look when needed. This was definitely a big win for the Tigers. Fairland is a very good basketball team and getting a win over the Dragons was truly a TEAM accomplishment.

OH IO 07
Freshman Team

Post by OH IO 07 »

Difference in the game was rebounding. Waverly dominated Fairland on the glass. If waverly got a shot up, they usually had second chance opportunities. Seemed like a 1 vs 5 loss, as kretzer dominated the glass and really controlled the game. Fairland also got away from Salyers for some reason at the offense end. Has happened all year though. Make a couple early threes and then Fairland will try and shoot them all game, instead of attacking the rim and going through Salyers in the post. Salyers was the offense to start the game and Fairland jumped out to decent lead. In most Fairland losses, they stopped feeding him and started settling for threes.
Kretzer vs McMaster I'd take kretzer bc he is a better athlete. More fluid in the hips than mcmaster. Also plays much stronger. Kretzer vs carter is tough bc they are really 2 different positions. But if drafting a team, I'd select kretzer. More complete player at this time and seems to keep composure better than carter. But both very good.

Should be a waverly Chillicothe regional final.

Good season Fairland.

pantherdad
JV Team

Post by pantherdad »

buckeyes41 wrote:sounds like it wouldve been a really good match up between Kretzer and McMasters from cheasapeake.
I'm a Peake fan and love Mcmaster. He is a great athlete and is the leader of a great Peake team. I've seen Carter play several times. He will probably lead his team to State next year. These two players make any team they are on Regional contenders.

But Kretzer is still the best player I've seen in th area. His size, strength, and ability to shoot from the showers is difficult for any team to match up with. That doesn't mean he's invincible, but he will crush you if you let him.

Mcmaster and Kretzer did face off in a preseason scrimmage back in the fall. Obviously, that it not the same as a game, but Kretzer definitely impressed. I later saw Kretzer again at Beasts of the Southeast. Love watching him play.

If I was drafting my Southeast fantasy high school team, he would be my #1 pick.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Remember Kretzer against Jackson in the sectionals as a sophomore....could not believe he was a sophomore. He's obviously continued to work very hard on his game.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Gotta love the SEO hoops this year! Waverly, Ironton, Valley, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, South Webster, Eastern Pike...Very good teams!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Great game by the entire Waverly TEAM. Strong minutes by Brock Davis and Phil Hart off the bench and great hustle and fight by Corcoran and Ward. Devon and JP also did some very good things.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Kretzer is a true Div 1 player. Height being the green light. Then you add work ethic and attitude, natural skill, footwork, game wisdom. I feel there is no way to waste his talent in akron. Just my opinion. Look at the Justice kid from the Peebles school. Super mega shooter, one of the greatest shooters in Ohio but a one sided player.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

soccerfix wrote:
win it matters wrote:Steptoes. Were you asleep or what. Did you not see
What the Riley kid and the dragons did to Warrens leading
Scorer? 0 points and only got 1 shot., no theres not an individual from fairland that's
as good as kretzer but, THATS CALLED A TEAM AND A VERY
GOOD ONE AT THAT.
I'll assure you that Kretzer will get more than one shot against any defense that Fairland throws at him. Here is a kid that no matter how rough he is treated, he gets up, never loses his cool, never retaliates, but gets even by dunking over someone or hitting a 26' 3 pointer. The kid has scored over 1600 points and probably close to 500 this season being doubled and tripled team. Admire his basketball ability, it might be a while until you see his equal.

I guess all I can say is I told you so.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

earp wrote:We havent seen a player like this kid???Umm what about Austin Mcmaster,Zach Carter??

Now would you like to reconsider?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Total team victory from Da Tigers tonight. Jake poured in 37 points but everyone else had big games as well. Doc Kelly handling the ball and great pressure defense, Corcoran and Ward inside cleaning the glass, Hart with 2 huge 3 pointers, Davis with a great game and chipping in 6 points, and Coach Travis and staff for a great game plan and preparation.

Just for the record Kretzer has over 600 points this year, dialing in on John Shoemakers single season record.

This Tiger team has more work to do and will not settle with a District title. The convo is becoming home and it will be rockin Thursday night as Tiger Nation invades.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Smurray, Great win for the Tigers tonight. Outstanding support from the Waverly faithful. Welcome to the Sweet 16 dance where anything can happen. I told Jake, Derek and Harrison avfew years ago to not settle for just gettingbto the Districts. Well this years team knocks the door down. Let's represent the Southeast well Thursday and pull for a SE District Regional final. Great win for the city of Waverly tonight.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Jesco White wrote:I don't think they have to put anyone else in double figures, but I think the other 5-6 guys in their rotation have to be able to produce 30+ points as a group. The more shots they hit (and trust me, they have a couple of kids who can stroke it), the more difficult it becomes to give help on Kretzer. In a one-on-one match-up, over the course of 32 minutes, I'll take Kretzer to produce more than any individual defender assigned to him. I believe the kid is the absolute best offensive player in the SE District, regardless of division.
Kretzer finished with 37 and the other 5 guys who scored combined for 33. I believe that means that I absolutely hit the nail on the head!!!!

Congrats on the win and District Championship, Tigers! Best of luck in the Regional Semi's against New Philadelphia.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

now we know waverly and fairland were seeded correctly. it looked like a 2 seed playing a 4seed to me. they did win by 11.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

Huge win for the tigers last night! Just had to comment on the amazing waverly crowd! That was the best crowd/student section I've seen for one team at the convo! The towels helped show it.

Good luck moving forward from the mustangs!

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

This Waverly team is coming together..Jake Kretzer as a overall player is the best player in SEO. Jake took that chip from all the Riley talk and talk from Fairland fans placed it squarely on his shoulder and went out to prove something. Micheal Jordan always said "You never know who is in the arena watching you play for the first time and I owe it to them to play my best" I feel Jake is doing this. Ohio University cant be happy to have him coming back to the convo with the Roos either. No offense to Riley he had no chance with the Fairland gameplan go guard Jake one on one. I know Jake had 37, any other stats boards or assists? Some of the things that stood out to me was how unselfish Jake was last night catching the ball on the block and passing out the double when he could have turned and shot or forced somethings he has grown so much in his game even this season from game 1.
Kelly played one of the best games i have seen him play all season, handled the press and commanded the offense without turning the ball over. Brock Davis was a huge spark plug for the Tigers the kid has been reliable all season. Phil Hart 2 huge 3s with the Dragons were theatning.
Words dont do Zach and Taylor credit these guys just love the physical play and love playing defense and rebounding the ball. Other than Kretzer the rebounding game was the difference in this game as stated before.
District Champs, Sweet 16, and the nets belong to the Tigers!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”