Rich History of success!

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Re: Rich History of success!

Post by tossithigh »

trojandave wrote:Why is it that people want to compartmentalize history to fit their time frame?.......The topic is "Rich History of Success!.......not "Rich History of Success for the last 20-25 years!"

When it comes to the most successful program in the HISTORY of the SE District, there is no doubt that Portsmouth FAR AND AWAY is #1 in many categories..........such as:

1. Most sectional titles.......40
2. Most district titles.........35 (More than 2nd place Wheelersburg and 3rd place Southeastern Ross COMBINED)
3. Most regional titles........14
4. Most Final 4's...............10 (Wheelersburg, Chillicothe, Ironton, and Chesapeake have 10 Final 4's COMBINED)
5. Most state titles............4
6. Most state championship game appearances: 7
7. Most state tournament appearances: 14 (4 of which were when the state tournament was the Sweet 16)

Now if one wants to go back 25 years, which some have on this thread, then here is our resume during that time:

25 year time period.........which goes back to 1987.........

State championships: 1988
State runnerup: 1990
State semifinalist: 2011
Elite 8 appearance: 1991
District titles: 9.......1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1999, 2001, 2011
Regional titles: 3......1988, 1990, 2011

Portsmouth has missed the state tournament in only 2 decades since the OHSAA started the state tournament in 1923.......PHS missed from 1950-1959 and from 2000-2009........the Trojans did make 2 Elite 8 appearances in 1954 and 1955.

It is not fair to compartmentalize history because there have been some great accomplishments by a number of schools, not just Portsmouth, prior to 2000 or whatever cutoff date one wants to use.........

I have watched my school, Portsmouth High School, win two state championships and finish runnerup twice.......and the trophies are just as shiny in our trophy case as if the OHSAA handed them out yesterday.

And yes, I will report the bad as well..........from 2003-2009, Portsmouth posted a 52-100 record, had no district titles, only 1 sectional title, and 7 straight losing seasons.........EVERY SCHOOL has had periods of down years, and ours has been very recent. But things are turning around under Coach Eugene Collins, who already has the most recent Final 4 appearance by a SE District school.

Now that's "Rich History Of Success"!!! :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

PORTSMOUTH TROJANS THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and seo

has anyone pulled stats from their entire history yet aside from Portsmouth?

My exact point, most of us have no clue what our schools accomplished 50-70 years ago. However, I would venture most of us know what we have done over the past say 20-30, but continue on this conversation that like 5 people actually commented on until we made it more recent. It was really making for interesting debate.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

I agree with TrojanDave. Its alllllll years not just recent. #smh

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

While you are shaking your head, please provide us all with data from every school in seo so that we compare the rest (because we get Portsmouth over the past century has the Richest History of Success).

Another poster provided the format: district semi win=1, district final win=2, and so on. Good luck and I look forward to you and all the Portsmouth fans compiling all of this information just to turn around and tell us how they are better.

You know who is tied for fourth all time in football national titles? Harvard. Does anyone still think they have a top program because of their history?

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I agree with Trojan Dave, if you are only looking back 20 years I'd give it a different look. In the 70's and 80's Chesapeake was a non factor.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

My point remains the same. Someone actually provide data past the 90's or 80's for most of the school's in SEO. I seriously doubt this will ever happen. This is why concentrating on the past 70 years is near impossibly for most schools because we don't have an archive.

I don't know exact years but Chesapeake was pretty solid in the last 70's. I have always heard how Lee Hill and company were very good and made it to the regionals in the late 70's. In the 80's the Peake was very good late, 88 regional finals with Mark Lafon and Joey Thacker I believe.

So yes I get it, Portsmouth has a rich history of success, but only one school seems to have enough data to actually measure anything over that time span. It is far easier to collect the necessary data from 20-25 years.

But please continue because so far this thread has died since a few have complained about their place in history rather then play along.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

peake,

I'm usually in pretty strong agreement with most of your posts (even though you are a UM fan), but I have to ask; didn't TrojanDave provide all of Portsmouth's info for the last 25 years as well? I understand where you are coming from, but in your own post you said if someone could provide the data to show where Portsmouth has been more successful than Chesapeake in the last 20-25 years you would say you were wrong. I don't think you need to say you are wrong, because I respect everyone's opinion when it comes to interpreting the data. However, I think since he did provide the condensed info along with the all-time info, doesn't that satisfy what you were looking for in the first place?

I'm sorry if I over stepped my boundaries here, but it seems like the topic has taken a bad turn. I enjoy reading all the history provided by everyone, regardless of how much or how short. I also happen to think you've always seemed like a pretty good guy (minus that UM part :lol: ), and I wanted to offer an outsider's perspective to maybe help settle things. Again, sorry if I over stepped.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Jesco- I agree that the info given on Portsmouth will cover any timeline anyone would like to consider. Great Job TrojanDave, you are certainly one of the more informed posters about your schools obvious rich history. Just a general opinion from an outside point of view, I think we can narrow this down to Wheelersburg,Chesapeake and Portsmouth for the most part. Now granted there are a handful of other schools that have solid programs too. I think Wheelersburg and Chespeake are the more consistent of the 3 schools, niether really having more than a few down years at one time. I'm not sure that you can get away from the fact that Portsmouth has 4 State Titles and 10 Final 4 appearances, considering the whole history of the program. So my vote would be Portsmouth for the entire program history, and Peake and Burg 1A and 1B in either order for being extremely consistent over the past 25years. Also this isnt considering that Peake and Burg have totally dominated their conferences during that time frame. So anyone else who has history on any school great or not so great, please post it I'm sure everyone is interested like me to know of the great teams your school has had

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

History is IMO goes all the way back not just twenty years ago. What a team did 30 or 40 years ago is just as important as 20 years ago. Maybe more so cause there wasn't 4 divisions.

Racine Southern History
37 district appearances
17 district finals
8 district crowns
2 regional crowns
3 state appearances
1 state runner-up

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Jesco,

I respect your opinion, I just don't understand why a select group feel the need to insinuate I am taking a jab at Portsmouth.

I get it, Portsmouth is the king of SEO in basketball. No disputing it from a 100 year historical standpoint.

The point I was trying to make was that only one school (Portsmouth and Trojandave who does a fantastic job providing their stats) no one seems to have the historical data of their school from 50+ years ago. Now, more to the point, I was not trying to short change Portsmouth, they are an excellent program, but I have seen very few stats from any other school outside or Portsmouth.

To answer your question about Portsmouth and the past 20-25 years. If you say 20 then CHespeake has clearly been better. Portsmouth has 2 final four appearances to Chesapeake's 1, but Chesapeake has 12 Regional appearances, including 6 regional finals. Chesapeake has also won 20+ games 16 out of 22 seasons since 1990.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Whats Peakes record against Ptown in the last 25 year???

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Actually, in the regular season in the decade of the 2000's, Chesapeake had, I believe, a 7 game winning streak (most of those were not close) vs. the Trojans until PHS won 77-70 2 years ago at Portsmouth.........the two schools, to my knowledge, did not meet in the regular season before then but did on a number of occasions meet in the tournament. Portsmouth beat Chesapeake in the tourney in the 1978 district semis (61-42), the 1980 sectional finals (50-47), and the 1981 sectional second round (76-22....not a typo) (PHS had to win 3 games to win the Ironton sectional). The two schools met again in the 2007 (don't have the score) Rock Hill sectional, which Portsmouth won........and last year, the Trojans and Panthers staged a great regional final, with PHS winning 69-68. According to the records I have, Portsmouth is 5-0 vs. Chesapeake in the tournament, but has a 1-7 record vs. the Panthers in the regular season.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

looks like Ptown wins when it counts.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

dont know how the argument came about with peake and Portsmouth but if your talking success on the hardwood its not even close, Chillicothe is probably the closest to Portsmouth in all time tourney wins then Burg? correct me if im wrong.

mark
Waterboy

Post by mark »

peake wrote:Oh well. Poor Portsmouth. To be honest I don't know exact record pre 90's is the real reason, not to make it fit some sort of fairy tale argument you sensitive Trojan fans wre complaining about. I doubt anyone on here can give accurate records beyond 80's or 90's for most schools.

So I created a sub thread, you two are the only ones who seem to care. Most everyone else was playing along and not complaining, including burg fans who had a lot of success pre 90's.

No one is going to argue they are better then Portsmouth over the course of 50 years. I think it is interesting to look at the past 20 to 25 because most of us can recall those years.
Portsmouth won the state 24 years ago in D2. State runner up 22 years ago. Thats with-in your time frame. Not to mention the teams they had to play to even get to the state,let alone to win it all.Teams like Kettering alter, Cinn Forest Park, Mansfield Malabar. West Geauga.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Peakes rich history comes from players coming in to play there, like last years team 3 staters was from KY? Does the panthers have any locals playing for them in the last 10-15 year? Just a question I figured you younger ones could answer :122246

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Name the three starters. You are an idiot! Don't come on here and put crap like that up here. Collin Kennedy was from ky before moving to Chesapeake. The current Kennedy is from west virginia originally. That's it.

Nathan Copley born and raised in Chesapeake. Austin mcmaster born and raised in Chesapeake.

Go ask ironton and south Webster how many kids were actually from either when they made their runs in the state. Go ask ironton how many football titles they would have won without transfers.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

peake wrote:Name the three starters. You are an idiot! Don't come on here and put crap like that up here. Collin Kennedy was from ky before moving to Chesapeake. The current Kennedy is from west virginia originally. That's it.

Nathan Copley born and raised in Chesapeake. Austin mcmaster born and raised in Chesapeake.

Go ask ironton and south Webster how many kids were actually from either when they made their runs in the state. Go ask ironton how many football titles they would have won without transfers.

I got my answer from a better Peake fan with class and then you come on here talking your poop so, your the idiot.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Says the pot/fabricator.

Return to “Boys Basketball”