District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

starbase_318
Varsity

Re: District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

Post by starbase_318 »

I don't how you would begin to pick a winner, other than out of loyalty to a community. Hopefully, both teams come to play and put on a show. If I was a bettin' man, I'd go with Ptown solely because they have played solid games down the stretch. It's pretty darn exciting to be an Indian fan this year! Great bunch of kids, both on the court/field and off!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Thanks for posting that, ole friend. I enjoyed watching it. Looking forward to catching up with you Saturday night. You going up early?

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Yes, be there for all 3. I was looking around the sites and found that, thought it would be interesting. We thought this course was going this way!!! Going to be speed vs height

valley23
Waterboy

Post by valley23 »

From this video, Portsmouth's speed is definately a major factor when they play defense. We need to take care of the ball! Also, from this video, if we can contain #32 and keep him out of the lane, as well as put a body on #33, I think we are going to be fine. #32 and #33 take it to the hoop, and everybody else stands around the three point line. After watching the video, I have a good feeling about our indians. I also know from hearing other people talk about the Portsmouth v Piketon game that Portsmouth didn't play like they are capable of. Is it Saturday yet?!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I watched all 3 games on Monday, and I thought that Portsmouth clearly had the toughest matchup compared to Valley and Ironton.......I think the Redstreaks would have beaten both Nelsonville-York and Wellston........in addition the Piketon/Portsmouth game was a slowdown affair, as the Redstreaks did a good job of controlling tempo.......slowdown games tend to look ugly, and the PHS/PHS matchup certainly was. The only thing that I would have liked to see the Trojans do better was finish around the basket, as we left at least 12 points off the board because of missed bunnies.......we won by 16 in a slowdown affair........scoring only 48 points and still winning by 16 over a 15-6 team is a pretty good showing, and the defense was outstanding. Piketon was the SVC Champions.

I don't predict games because I don't want to be a homer, but Portsmouth is 20-2 and SEOAL Champs......and they have played some very good basketball to get to this point. Watching the Trojans in only 1 game is not a good gauge as to how they have played this season.

steppinontoes
Waterboy

Post by steppinontoes »

This Waverly Tiger will be rooting his rear off for the Valley Indians. That is a tremendous group of kids. Make the SOC proud!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

steppinontoes wrote:This Waverly Tiger will be rooting his rear off for the Valley Indians. That is a tremendous group of kids. Make the SOC proud!!!
Thank you very much! This Valley Indian will be doing the same for your Tigers on Friday night!

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

The thing about this Valley team is these guys don't get rattled. They've been in pressure situations, going back to football season, and they handle it rather calm like. Also, it is difficult to key in on one or two players. All year there has been multiple players step up in the scoring and done what had to be done. And they all seem to contribute on defense.
should be a very good game

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Defensive intensity will be a major factor in this game..

This group understands they must work extremely hard to slow down a very talented Valley team..

Keep working hard Trojans..!!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

this should be a great game. i dont see anyone pulling away. its weird how things turn out. we will finally see this match up in football next year. i think ill finally get to see my first game at the convo this sat.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

leaning toward valley in this one, should be a tight one.

N B Heat
Freshman Team

Post by N B Heat »

Nobody is giving Valley a chance in the Pick-em contest Hmmmm ,sounds like the WEST-Valley game on the gridiron . Valley plays the UNDERDOG role very well and accepts this challenge !!!! GO INDIANS !!!!!!

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

This one should be a dandy............should be the best matchup of the day...Save the best for last I guess. I like the Trojans speed, but I also like the post guys for Valley....very strong kids who NEVER give up. I am going to pick the Trojans in an OT thriller. Portsmouth 65 Valley 62.

Did anyone else see the Piketon-PHS game played on the Portsmouth TV station this week? I question why they would do this prior to a big district final matchup with a local team. Doesn't that give Valley a free tape to look at? Show the game after the tourney is over.

Good Luck to the Trojans and Indians!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Valley played right before Portsmouth on that same night so im sure their coaches hung around and seen that game first hand .

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

biggdowgg wrote:Valley played right before Portsmouth on that same night so im sure their coaches hung around and seen that game first hand .
Sorry biggdowgg - but just got word that you and Trojan Dave are regulated to sit in the lite green seats at the Convo Saturday ... I tried to help you guys out - but the administrators said "NO!" ... Something about you guys being too vocal at games ... Too agressive toward the refs ... etc... etc... Just bring your binoculars - you'll be fine up in the rafters ... :mrgreen:

eaglegrad
Riding the Bench

Post by eaglegrad »

This senior group is talented and does handle pressure well, but their weakness will be if the calls dont go their way. This group does get rattled when roughed up and not getting foul calls. Tend to pout. If the refs let them play I see Portsmouth winning as stated earlier. If called tight, Valley wins.

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Does anyone have any annual stats to date? I'm curious how well both teams shoot free throws.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

starbase_318 wrote:Does anyone have any annual stats to date? I'm curious how well both teams shoot free throws.
Crab's Bro would probably have the actual numbers, but I do know for a fact that free-throw shooting is the Indians' achilles heel. They have truly lived on the edge at the end of some games with their inconsistent free throw shooting.

NTHZONE
Waterboy

Post by NTHZONE »

Not a dog in this race,but have seen both teams and I can tell you if Portsmouth wins this game it will be from perimeter . Valley will own the paint with three players at 6'5 or greater not sure but Mckinley probably has'nt faced this kind of length so far accept for Malik London and Valley has 3 players that Dion will have to battle . IMO Valley will move on just to much size and length for anyone at the Convo including Ironton . If Valley can stay out of foul trouble I look for them to play in Colunbus . Not trying to cut any team down just an unbiased opinion .

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Jesco White wrote:
starbase_318 wrote:Does anyone have any annual stats to date? I'm curious how well both teams shoot free throws.
Crab's Bro would probably have the actual numbers, but I do know for a fact that free-throw shooting is the Indians' achilles heel. They have truly lived on the edge at the end of some games with their inconsistent free throw shooting.
That's what I was thinking but I haven't followed all the games very closely. I wasn't sure if it was an anomaly during some games or a consistent pattern throughout the season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”