District Tournament - A star studded event!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

District Tournament - A star studded event!

Post by 93Bulldog »

Whoever said the Southeast district is down (which I've heard numerous times this season) is just plain nuts - or doesn't know basketball ... The teams I have seen thus far look pretty stout - and the 'big time' players have shown up at the Convo every night!

We've seen guys playing above the rim each night there has been games ... LONDON had a couple nice dunks on Wednesday, KRETZER had a monster jam (at a crucial time in the game) Thursday, McMASTERS threw one down Friday and McKINLEY kept the streak alive last night on a sweet left-handed slam late in the fourth quarter. The big men have definitly shown up to play this year!

But there has been great players having great games all tournament ... check out the convo 2012 link on the trivalleyconference.com web site and look over all the individual photos - it speaks a thousand words on how many good basketball players are in the Southeast District ... http://trivalleyconference.com/TVCNews.html

McKinley was a beast last night, Kretzer had the biggest game of the tourney scoring 30 points versus Fairfield Union, London is always fun to watch and McMasters is as well ... Blaine Fuller for Fairland was tough, Zach Johnson from Chillicothe, Zac Carter of Ironton, Wayne Evans (Portsmouth) ... The list of great players goes on and on ... Corcoran, Chandler, Arey, Clark, Gragg, Lawson, Maddox ... I could probably name 20-25 players that worth the price of admission this year at the Convo!

Eric Kennedy (peake), White & Fletcher (Ironton), Yates (Valley), Denzel Amey and Nathan Moats (Circleville) ...To name a few more ... lol

bman
SEO

Re: District Tournament - A star studed event!

Post by bman »

The opinion some have shared, including myself, is D2 in the district has some good teams with good players - many of those names you've already mentioned - but not one of those knock your socks off really deep teams. Rather if it was Chilli a few years ago with Humpty, Chambers, Knight, Dawes, Turner, etc. or LE with Congrove, Amann, Blake, Hauserman, Pritchard, etc. Most teams have a couple of players, but not that real deep lineup those two had.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:The opinion some have shared, including myself, is D2 in the district has some good teams with good players - many of those names you've already mentioned - but not one of those knock your socks off really deep teams. Rather if it was Chilli a few years ago with Humpty, Chambers, Knight, Dawes, Turner, etc. or LE with Congrove, Amann, Blake, Hauserman, Pritchard, etc. Most teams have a couple of players, but not that real deep lineup those two had.
We've only had ONE or TWO of those teams in how many years? lol

Overall, I like what I'm seeing from both the DII and DIII put together.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Bulldog - I believe that it is star "studded", not "studed". Studed is not a word, and if it was, it would be pronounced like "stupid". And no, I'm not calling you that, or implying that in any manner.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

It was probably a typo

bman
SEO

Re: District Tournament - A star studded event!

Post by bman »

Those two are definitely on the top end of success in D2. But look at all of those Greenfield teams or when WCH, MT or Gallipolis were going good. We have good teams, but how do you think one of these teams would do against a top Central District team?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Even little old South Webster had two dunks off the glass last night. Even though the most impressive one didn't count (a foul on the passer). Rumor has it they have 5-6 that can dunk relatively easy. Not bad for a D4 team!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:Those two are definitely on the top end of success in D2. But look at all of those Greenfield teams or when WCH, MT or Gallipolis were going good. We have good teams, but how do you think one of these teams would do against a top Central District team?
I don't know bman - we'll probably find out though pretty soon in the regionals ... lol

I'm looking at the entire district tournament as a whole ... We have DIV kids passing it off backboards for dunks, the D3 tournament is crazy good with PEAKE, IRONTON, PORTSMOUTH leading the way ... And maybe the DII is a step below what it has been - but when you take into consideration the lower divisions being up - it gives me the impression that basketball in southeastern Ohio 'is not down' ... (like many have said throughout the season.)

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

well said bulldog.

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

I graduated in 1983 and had never watched a high school basketball game until about 8 years ago. Then, I saw my first Vinton County game. I went to a D1 school (Huber Heights Wayne) and basketball was probably not even in the top 5 as far as popularity at the school. I have been hooked on basketball ever since. I have seen every team on the Elite 8 play numerous times this year and I think this is the best year as far as having more than a couple of teams that could go far in the state tournament. Alot of the teams are returning the majority of their team for next season!!!! There will be some really exciting basketball in SE Ohio for the next several years. Can't wait for tomorrow night!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”