SEOAL Needs New Members

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: SEOAL Needs New Members

Post by 4thgoal »

frank-n-beans wrote:
Swanker Pine wrote:i don't think the Northwests and Wests want Itown and Ptown for 4 games
From the way you're whining it sounds like the Websters don't want to either.
With 8 teams already in the SOCII, if Ironton and Portsmouth were added, it would almost have to force the 2 smallest schools (Valley and SW) to the SOCI. At the same time though, you wouldn't need to worry about who you played in your non-conference games because your conference schedule would be so strong.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The SEOAL and TVC need to merge and then have divisions based on school size and competativeness.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

The SEOAL is doomed! With Chilli and Logan looking elsewhere
Portsmouth being a really small school now a days Warren and Jackson prob wouldn't have much trouble finding a league Gallia Academy and Portsmouth may be in a tough position.
With no Div 2 schools in close proximity.
I don't think the Ovc wants either i look for Portsmouth to get a longer look than the Devils.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

personally i think eventually you will see portsmouth and ironton in the soc. i really think they will, several soc schools are considerably bigger than the 2 and it's obvious how it could help the gate.not trying to argue, but the storied past of the seoal is on shifting sands in my opinion, and gas prices ain't helping.i would love to see ironton in a league. but i simply don't see that being the seoal. it makes no sense for especially not portsmouth to not be in the soc, for whatever trivial reason there must be.and the ovc, or soc makes much more sense with ironton if they are not independant.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

frank-n-beans wrote:
Swanker Pine wrote:i don't think the Northwests and Wests want Itown and Ptown for 4 games
I'd say you're right :lol:

How many boys does Portsmouth and Ironton compared to Burg and Waverly?

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Swanker Pine wrote:
frank-n-beans wrote:
I'd say you're right :lol:

How many boys does Portsmouth and Ironton compared to Burg and Waverly?
They both have quite a bit less than Waverly and quite a bit more than Burg. Wheelersburg is the 3rd smallest SOC 2 school, along with Valley and South Webster. Waverly is the largest SOC 2 school. Ironton and Portsmouth would be in the middle.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Oak Hill is bigger than Burg? I know waverly is because they're D2

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Swanker Pine wrote:Oak Hill is bigger than Burg? I know waverly is because they're D2
Yes. Wheelersburg has 155 boys in grades 10-12, while Oak Hill has 160.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Jesco White wrote:
Swanker Pine wrote:Oak Hill is bigger than Burg? I know waverly is because they're D2
Yes. Wheelersburg has 155 boys in grades 10-12, while Oak Hill has 160.
Meanwhile, Valley has 126 and South Webster has 108.

Portsmouth has 179 and Ironton has 174.

Waverly has 235, West has 162, Northwest has 187 and Minford has 187 as well.

In the SEOAL:
Logan has 478, Warren has 356, Jackson has 295 and Gallia Academy has 258

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

which comes first the apocalypse or the Trojans in the SOC......can you say Rapture!?

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

In 1966, when Pomeroy, Middleport and Rutland consolidated to form Meigs Local and Nelsonville and Buchtel-York consolidated to form Nelsonville-York, the SEOAL would be down to seven teams. The league decided at its March meeting to postpone action for one year on the acceptance of a new member.

The league rescinded that action at its August meeting so the SEOAL could admit a new member at that time. Three schools had applied for membership. These schools were Ironton, Vinton County and Warren Local. The SEOAL voted unanimously to admit Ironton. I was at that meeting as part of the Vinton County committee which presented our case to the SEOAL. We felt we were given short shrift by the SEOAL and it did hurt to be denied. But, it may have been the best thing that ever happened for Vinton County.

The way I look at it is, if we weren't good enough for the SEOAL in 1966, then we're not interested now. I might add that since then Athens, Nelsonville-York, Meigs, and Wellston have left the SEOAL and joined the Tri-Valley Conference and are doing just fine. Why would any of these schools consider going back into a league that is shaky at best. The TVC is a much more vibrant league and its future looks good.

It will be a sad day when the SEOAL dies, having been created in 1925, but it looks like that is going to happen. The TVC is only 44 years old, but has a lot of life in it still. It has been crowning champions since 1968 in baseball, basketball and track. The first football champ was crowned in 1969. The TVC has a considerable past and a bright future.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Run Bubba Run wrote:In 1966, when Pomeroy, Middleport and Rutland consolidated to form Meigs Local and Nelsonville and Buchtel-York consolidated to form Nelsonville-York, the SEOAL would be down to seven teams. The league decided at its March meeting to postpone action for one year on the acceptance of a new member.

The league rescinded that action at its August meeting so the SEOAL could admit a new member at that time. Three schools had applied for membership. These schools were Ironton, Vinton County and Warren Local. The SEOAL voted unanimously to admit Ironton. I was at that meeting as part of the Vinton County committee which presented our case to the SEOAL. We felt we were given short shrift by the SEOAL and it did hurt to be denied. But, it may have been the best thing that ever happened for Vinton County.

The way I look at it is, if we weren't good enough for the SEOAL in 1966, then we're not interested now. I might add that since then Athens, Nelsonville-York, Meigs, and Wellston have left the SEOAL and joined the Tri-Valley Conference and are doing just fine. Why would any of these schools consider going back into a league that is shaky at best. The TVC is a much more vibrant league and its future looks good.

It will be a sad day when the SEOAL dies, having been created in 1925, but it looks like that is going to happen. The TVC is only 44 years old, but has a lot of life in it still. It has been crowning champions since 1968 in baseball, basketball and track. The first football champ was crowned in 1969. The TVC has a considerable past and a bright future.
I like your thinking RBR, nothing changes in 46 years! :122245 :roll: So take that SEOAL :!:

Seriously you are right on about the TVC's future.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

With two teams putting hints out there to join the SEOAL the league could be up to seven before you know it.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

What two teams?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I don't think Marietta is very happy with it's latest home in the ECOL ... if I were a betting person I'd say the Tigers come knocking to get BACK into the SEOAL ... can you say ANOTHER Orange and Black school wants to comeback yet again ???????? Ironton ... just some words I have heard on the winds here in the Hocking Hills of late ...

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

pfloyd wrote:... I don't think Marietta is very happy with it's latest home in the ECOL ... if I were a betting person I'd say the Tigers come knocking to get BACK into the SEOAL ... can you say ANOTHER Orange and Black school wants to comeback yet again ???????? Ironton ... just some words I have heard on the winds here in the Hocking Hills of late ...

Marietta is just fine where they are. Travel is easy, competition is good. What does the SEOAL have to offer that would be better? New Philly in regional and Marietta played right with them, might have beaten them once. Beat Dover, lost to Zanesville in OT. Seems like they are ok with the teams they are playing.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Would love to see Marietta come back, but from talking with parents and coachs them seem to be happy with ECOL. Now if new philly and dover leave as some have rumored, that could change the whole landscape. Still think Athens and Vinton would make since as they are central to the remaining members. Any chance Waverly might come into the SEOAL. Their longest rip would be Warren ~96 miles.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

warrior90 wrote:Would love to see Marietta come back, but from talking with parents and coachs them seem to be happy with ECOL. Now if new philly and dover leave as some have rumored, that could change the whole landscape. Still think Athens and Vinton would make since as they are central to the remaining members. Any chance Waverly might come into the SEOAL. Their longest rip would be Warren ~96 miles.
:-D I probably wouldnt start the negotiations off with that fact.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Im sure Waverly is very happy in the SOC

Return to “Boys Basketball”