Portsmouth vs Chesapeake Regional semifinal

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

14U
S

Re: Portsmouth vs Chesapeake Regional semifinal

Post by 14U »

Dion played this game sick and still had 30-10, wow!!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Congrats to the mighty Trojans and another step towards a return trip to CBus. Coach Collins has done a marvelous jog with the program and this success will only motivate the young kids coming behind these experienced team.

To those who like to armchair QB, I'm not sure you could have done better than the Coach who has kept the Peake as a perennial powerhouse in the District, Region and State. If the Peake prides itself on man-to-man D, what makes you think these kids can change up in a few days. Defense is technique, schemes and effort. I guarantee you Coach Davis has seen film on the Trojans vs man and zone. The weakest part of a zone is in the seams and the middle. Evans and the others are very adept at finding, creating, distributing or finishing. I'm not an expert, but Coach Davis is one of the best.

To the Trojan nation, good luck against the Tigers and our old SEOAL foe. Two excellent programs about to lay claim to superiority in SE Ohio. Will be a great one. Hopefully, Fletcher is close to 100%, so the Convo can see a show.
Last edited by Hitchbone64 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Defensive principals are mostly the same in most defenses line of the ball, mid lid, help side. Those pricipals never change! Also I have been to a lot of peake games and have seen them play a 2-3 with success. If things aren't going right for you you have to try something else or the result will stay the same. I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of motion in the offense and all the one on one stuff!

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

peake wrote:Four of five starters are born and raised in Chesapeake.

Last year only both Kennedy's were not from Chesapeake.

How many players are born and raised in one school district? Silly.

Btw, the rase boys dad was the principal at Chesapeake and mom was a teacher there.

Whe have you been trojanfbalum? You are one of my favorite posters of all time.

PJ Rase played all the up through 8th grade at Green

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

SOCFAN1430 wrote:
peake wrote:Four of five starters are born and raised in Chesapeake.

Btw, the rase boys dad was the principal at Chesapeake and mom was a teacher there.

Whe have you been trojanfbalum? You are one of my favorite posters of all time.

PJ Rase played all the up through 8th grade at Green
Noble has lived in South Point alsmost all of his life. I pass the SUV he totaled a couple months ago sitting at this house everyday. He played in the SP system until 8th grade. Carpenter who is a freshman is also from SP.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Just to play devils advocate here, man-to-man principles aren't universally the same.

Chesapeake's current man-to-man is different then when Persin was there. For instance Norm would slip ball screens rather then hedge them, he would also play high side-low side in the post, rather then back or front it, he would also jam every cutter that came across the lane, and absolutely no switching.

Teams have very different philosophies and principales when it comes to man-to-man. For instance Chesapeake under Norm would not apply ball pressure outside of the 3pt line, while others teach to pick it up once they cross half court. Some defenses don't see the need for help side if they are not fronting the post, and mid-line is not taught everywhere. Some want to force their man baseline, while others will force back into the belly of the defense where there is congestion.

Just saying, a lot of different styles are taught.

Are we really still doing the transfers thing? How about the Barnes kid at South Point now? Where was he from again? What about the Baise kid from Fairlanda year or so back, followed by Cole Hatfield who both lived in Chesapeake? What about Lamb, Hatfield, Jordan, Berry group from Fairland who all played their buddy and all-star ball at Chesapeake only to go to Fairland? What about 3 or 4 of the kids on the 04 Ironton state runner-up group?

Congrats to Portsmouth, very well deserved. They are building a good program again.

I will be interested to see where Chesapeake goes from here. The shelf is not restocked so to speak. We will find out if Coach Davis is a good coach or a great coach in the upcoming years.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

VERY PROUD OF OUR TROJANS ON THE WIN!!.......and to Dion McKinley on yet another GREAT GAME!!..........It was a defensive masterpiece by PHS vs. a very good offensive club in Chesapeake........to hold the Panthers to only 45 points is quite remarkable given their resume the last couple of years.......the Trojans allowed very few opportunities for CHS to get their running game going, and also made the Panthers work extra hard in the halfcourt to get looks........considering the opponent, I think it was Portsmouth's best defensive game of the year.

I think Coach Davis is an excellent coach...........one game does not lessen his coaching ability, and remember........he was the first Chesapeake coach to lead the Panthers to the Final 4..........Portsmouth has won games this year vs. zone defenses, and with Dion scoring as few as 7-8 points.........the Trojans have shown throughout the season that there's not just one way to beat them.

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

[quote="wemufans"][quote="SOCFAN1430"][quote="peake"]Four of five starters are born and raised in Chesapeake.

Whe have you been trojanfbalum? You are one of my favorite posters of all time.[/quote]

PJ Rase played all the up through 8th grade at Green[/quote]

Noble has lived in South Point alsmost all of his life. I pass the SUV he totaled a couple months ago sitting at this house everyday. He played in the SP system until 8th grade. Carpenter who is a freshman is also from SP.[/quote]

FYI Eric Kennedy is not Colin Kennedy's brother. Eric is from Spring Valley. And if I am not mistaken they are not even related. And yes Noble is from SP

Just My Opinion
Riding the Bench

Post by Just My Opinion »

peake wrote:Just to play devils advocate here, man-to-man principles aren't universally the same.

Chesapeake's current man-to-man is different then when Persin was there. For instance Norm would slip ball screens rather then hedge them, he would also play high side-low side in the post, rather then back or front it, he would also jam every cutter that came across the lane, and absolutely no switching.

Teams have very different philosophies and principales when it comes to man-to-man. For instance Chesapeake under Norm would not apply ball pressure outside of the 3pt line, while others teach to pick it up once they cross half court. Some defenses don't see the need for help side if they are not fronting the post, and mid-line is not taught everywhere. Some want to force their man baseline, while others will force back into the belly of the defense where there is congestion.

Just saying, a lot of different styles are taught.

Are we really still doing the transfers thing? How about the Barnes kid at South Point now? Where was he from again? What about the Baise kid from Fairlanda year or so back, followed by Cole Hatfield who both lived in Chesapeake? What about Lamb, Hatfield, Jordan, Berry group from Fairland who all played their buddy and all-star ball at Chesapeake only to go to Fairland? What about 3 or 4 of the kids on the 04 Ironton state runner-up group?

Congrats to Portsmouth, very well deserved. They are building a good program again.

I will be interested to see where Chesapeake goes from here. The shelf is not restocked so to speak. We will find out if Coach Davis is a good coach or a great coach in the upcoming years.
Very well said, Peake!!!

Just My Opinion
Riding the Bench

trojandave wrote:VERY PROUD OF OUR TROJANS ON THE WIN!!.......and to Dion McKinley on yet another GREAT GAME!!..........It was a defensive masterpiece by PHS vs. a very good offensive club in Chesapeake........to hold the Panthers to only 45 points is quite remarkable given their resume the last couple of years.......the Trojans allowed very few opportunities for CHS to get their running game going, and also made the Panthers work extra hard in the halfcourt to get looks........considering the opponent, I think it was Portsmouth's best defensive game of the year.

I think Coach Davis is an excellent coach...........one game does not lessen his coaching ability, and remember........he was the first Chesapeake coach to lead the Panthers to the Final 4..........Portsmouth has won games this year vs. zone defenses, and with Dion scoring as few as 7-8 points.........the Trojans have shown throughout the season that there's not just one way to beat them.
With all do respect Trojandave, this was not just one game, this was the second game on the big stage that no adjustments were made, and don't get me wrong I truly like and respect Coach Davis. All I am saying is that Excellent Coaches know when and when not to make adjustments.

Just My Opinion
Riding the Bench

hitchbone64 wrote:Congrats to the mighty Trojans and another step towards a return trip to CBus. Coach Collins has done a marvelous jog with the program and this success will only motivate the young kids coming behind these experienced team.

To those who like to armchair QB, I'm not sure you could have done better than the Coach who has kept the Peake as a perennial powerhouse in the District, Region and State. If the Peake prides itself on man-to-man D, what makes you think these kids can change up in a few days. Defense is technique, schemes and effort. I guarantee you Coach Davis has seen film on the Trojans vs man and zone. The weakest part of a zone is in the seams and the middle. Evans and the others are very adept at finding, creating, distributing or finishing. I'm not an expert, but Coach Davis is one of the best.

To the Trojan nation, good luck against the Tigers and our old SEOAL foe. Two excellent programs about to lay claim to superiority in SE Ohio. Will be a great one. Hopefully, Fletcher is close to 100%, so the Convo can see a show.
Hitchbone64- Sometimes as a coach you have to swallow your Pride and do whatever it takes to put your team in the best possible position to win, and as far as these boys not knowing how to play a Zone is "Bull", this is not Buddy League or Jr. High School.

I'm not an expert neither, but I do know that if something's not working then you have to change it up.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Where did that Peake character go? Nothing worse than some yeyhooo who runs their chops and then is not man enough to step up to the plate.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

4am - "Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup..."

"Wake up moose, you're having a nightmare!"

6am - "Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup ...."

"Moose! Wake up!"

"Leave me alone. It's not a nightmare. I'm listening to the game replay."

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

moose wrote:4am - "Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup..."

6am - "Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup ...."

"Moose! Wake up!"

LOL......

you should have stopped over and said hello I was looking for focus and couldnt spot him either...been a while since I have seen either of you.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

[quoteI think Coach Davis is an excellent coach...........one game does not lessen his coaching ability, and remember........he was the first Chesapeake coach to lead the Panthers to the Final 4..........Portsmouth has won games this year vs. zone defenses, and with Dion scoring as few as 7-8 points.........the Trojans have shown throughout the season that there's not just one way to beat them.][/quote]

Well said, and I don't disagree. I am saying that a great coach will continue to be consistent, not just great when he has great talent. I have no doubt Davis can coach, but he has one of the better runs of talent in Chesapeake history.

Also, going to the final four is about many many things. Getting a good drawl, luck, being well coached, etc. I don't judge a coach based on one great season. There have been many average coaches that take their club to state, but how many win 20+ games a year for 20 years? Norm went on to win a state title, only one other coach in seo can make that claim. It didn't happen at Chesapeake but it didn't make him any less great in my book.

Also, when you lose people will complain, this IS a universal concept.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Pol Pot what are you talking about?

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

biggdowgg wrote:
moose wrote:4am - "Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup, Dion with a layup..."

"Moose! Wake up!"

LOL......

you should have stopped over and said hello I was looking for focus and couldnt spot him either...been a while since I have seen either of you.
I woulda come over but TrojanDave scares me a little. I will be there Saturday to support the local teams. Good luck to your team. They are a great group.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Portsmouth 2 straight Final 8, Senior needs one more to make it where they were last year. Going to be a good one!!!!
Last edited by 14U on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

14U,

Again you continue to show how stupid you truly are.

In 2002 Norm had won 301 games at Chesapeake in 17 years, that equals 17.7 wins per season (so nearly 18). In 03 he won 20+, in 04 he won 20+, and 05 he won 20+. Over the course of his career at Chesapeake he won nearly 20 games a season.

Again you're an idiot!

Oh nice job editing your post so that it didn't make you look like you couldn't count. Let me tell everyone what you said originally, "Norm didn't win 20 games a season, he won 12, do the math, it is not difficult".
Last edited by Peake on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

To be more clear he has won 608 games in 34 years, which equals 17.8 wins over his career. Math is tough.

Return to “Boys Basketball”