Confirmed Coaching Openings

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Confirmed Coaching Openings

Post by smurray »

crazymidgets,
There was all kind of talk and speculation whether he was staying or going after this season. He was actually staying until just recently, when after much consideration it was decided he needed to step away for a while to spend more time with his family. The Gazette article doesn't tell the whole story and I respect Travis very much for the decision he made, I know it was tough.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

lol ok

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

it is amazing how many coaches at all levels step down to spend more time with their families, and then within a year they are coaching again. (urbanmeyeretc.)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I don't see the humor in it, crazymidgets.

sparky, Travis will no doubt be coaching again some day but for now needed to step away. All the talk and speculation during the course of the season was just that, talk and speculation. Travis and his family made the decision based on what was best for them at this point in time. Not saying you are one but the haters will always be haters. Those close to the situation understand.

norman dale2
Waterboy

Post by norman dale2 »

And smurray he has given a lot of time to that program and it is countless hours of scouting, watching film, running practices, games, etc...if he or anyone for that matter decides to step away after the time he's put in they are deserving of it if they wish to

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

i don't have a problem with coaches getting out especially if it really is for family and they don't come back until their kids are at least in high school.
i would like to hear one time from a coach, "i really enjoy coaching but with the talent we have coming back, along with their me me attitudes, and their pain in the ass parents it is time to hit the road."

Jon B
Riding the Bench

Post by Jon B »

Let's get real here.... He is leaving because they will never have that talent again.. He's not leaving for the family smurry... You don't listen to everything the man says.. Of course he is going to say that.

zeb
Waterboy

Post by zeb »

Sparky,

While I agree it would be refreshing to hear that type of honesty, and in some ways humorous as well, no school would hire him later on because he would come across as a loose cannon. It's the same reason professional coaches don't sit at the press conference right next the GM that just fired them and say "I think this is BS" because they hope to get another job someday.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Smurray I wasnt speculating, travis told me a couple of yrs ago he was only coaching a couple more yrs then he was leaving, he said what he was supposed to say to the newspaper and the community its called being politicly correct. wake up. Lets read urban Meyers resignation for health and personal reasons im resigning i want to spend more time with my family its a tough decision but i feel this is what I must do, oops Ohio State job just opened up, well i feel better now and the kids really dont care if i come to their ballgames so fine if I have to take it I guess i will lol.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

let's see what happens now that the chillicothe job is open. would that be one of those " dream jobs?" i can't pass up.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Go for it sparky!....you're still young...compared to some...WW2 veterans

Did Rock Hill hire their guy today? He would be a good choice. Already built one program pretty quickly.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

crazymidgets,
You're not telling anyone anything we didn't already know, I don't need to wake up. What you were told 2 years ago is imaterial. There was talk as the season went along this year but he hand't made a decision and after winning a District Championship with such amazing community support was actually prepared to return - that changed however. You are correct, he told the Gazette all they needed to know but it was not a lie. Don't make it sound like his mind was made up 2 years ago he was quiting after this season. He may have said that back then, but it wasn't that cut and dried 2 years later. Give the man some credit - he lived Waverly basketball!

I just hope we get someone who is as dedicated to Waverly basketball and as successful as Travis Robertson was.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

see thats the funny part you still think he hadnt made up his mind and was actually coming back this yr lol! You think he is just supposed to say after the game no Im gone sheesh you have to play the part, well of course im coming back, or well Im thinking it over now its going to be a tough decision i will have to weigh everything out. Now how would that look if he didnt!

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

And what do we see in sports today, hmmm Kellough resigns at Chillicothe. :roll: :roll: :roll:

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

crazymidgets,
Have you talked to him within the past two weeks about his decision or are you basing your opinion on what he said 2 years ago? I know for a fact he was swaying back and forth and sometimes circumstances happen in life to make decisions for you. He was prepared to coach again next season but things happen in life.
Now, if he applies for and takes the job at Chillicothe (which I know some are now speculating), I will admit the reasoning given for stepping away is subject.
Time will tell but for now let's give the man some credit for bringing excitement back to Waverly basketball.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

BACK! What the heck are you talking about! He inherited 3-4 starters including Walls the best big in the area off a SOC2 championship team. Are you excited to win a couple of sect. and a dist. with the amount of talent that went through Waverly, probably the most talent that has went through here since the 70"s? You do understand sect are set up for a team to succeed right? You do realize how weak D2 is around here dont you?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

crazymidgets,
There has been a ton of talent go through Waverly since 1980 and not one coach or set of players have been able to accomplish what coach Robertson and this Senior class has done. I remember a team under coach Wolfe being ranked #2 in the State and they lost in the sectional (where they were set up to succeed). We could talk all day long about the amount of talent that has gone through Waverly since 1980 but you will never give Robertson any credit. Williamson, Hilton and Roy Conley were all starters so if my math is correct I don't think he inherited 3 to 4 starters from that SOC2 Championship team. Williamson and Hilton were 4 year varsity players, both being among the best players in the league - they lost allot. Were they expected to do better than they did his first year with Walls & Co. as Seniors, YES. 3 head coaches in 4 years for those seniors caught up to them. I had a son in that class play for 3 different head coaches; Hoover (Freshman & Soph.), Seddlemeyer (Junior), and Robertson his senior year. Maybe I feel like my son was dealt a bad hand with the way he was handled from the time he was a Freshman but did we gripe and complain, NO. Did we move him to another school, NO. Did we blame the coach for this or that, NO. What we did do was suck and up and do what you can to get better. Whether you love the guy or hate him, give him some credit for what he's done at Waverly. If you can't do that don't tell the rest of how terrible he is.

What did the legendary Larry Jordan do his 3 years at Waverly? How did Dan Bice fair? Hall of Famer Carl Wolfe had some amazing talent at Waverly, how far did they go?

Rebels on 3
All State

Post by Rebels on 3 »

Any word on the Symmes Valley job? Is Coach Saunders going to get the job?

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

sorry not my legends i dont get googley eyed over a coach and wins alone dont make a great coach in my eyes!
If you remember it wasnt 1 and your a sect. champion then and you had McClain in the way up till what 2006-7.
You love the guy and thats fine still dont understand that though, and I will give him credit he was a tireless worker, and his game preperation along with his scouting was top notch, just that alone doesnt make a great coach sorry.
sorry your kid didnt get to play and you had to suck it up, sometimes it goes like that? you need to let that go though not doing you any good to hang onto that.
Seddlemyer was a good coach liked his style Waverly would do well to get him to come back and take the reigns again.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I wonder if all of the critics expect as much of themselves in their own jobs as they do their coaches.

Return to “Boys Basketball”