Confirmed Coaching Openings

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Confirmed Coaching Openings

Post by smurray »

Spartan, not sure what crazymidgets expects.

crazymidgets, I dont get all boogley eyed over coaches either and never said I "love" the guy, but your dislike is very evident. Travis Robertson is still a very young coach with much to learn. Being a "great" coach requires years of service and experience. I disagreed with some things he did but he was the coach and it was his decisions to make. You can disagree about things and still like and respect the guy. Travis will return to the game someday and will be a great coach. I for one appreciate what he's done at Waverly - I'm sure their are many others.
You totally missed what I was trying to say about my son and he did play, even started some games, nothing to hang onto.
No-one would be disappointed with Seddlemyer taking over but from what I've been told don't look for that to happen.

The job has been posted inside through this week and then will be advertised outside. Hoping the admin. does not settle just so the summer programs have a new head coach in place. Waverly is a great job to have and we need someone experienced and capable of taking the program to the next level.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

I think Board picks SV Boys head coach this evening!
Boys seem excited....cant wait for open gyms!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I hate to get in the middle of this debate over the intent of the former head coach at Waverly, but i will tell you what i know. Travis did a great job as our head coach and he worked very hard and gave the kids a lot during his time as head coach. I think that he may have been leaning towards not coming back but I think the incredible support he and the Tigers got on the tourny run made a big impact on his thoughts and I honestly think he had no idea what he was going to do until he did it. He loved his players and had a great relationship with them and would have been lot better next year than what most people think. I think when all the emotion went away and he had to decide what to do I think he had to do what was best for him given his current circumstances.

Now if there is a school that would like to approach him about an opening this summer I think he would be crazy not to take a look at it- one thing for sure in this crazy world we live in is we should never say never. There would be nothing wrong with him talking to other schools and in fact he would be silly not to.

We dont know what all went into his decision process but I do know him very well and I think he will be coaching again and I know that if the Waverly job would be open again soon he will get a very quick call to see if he wants it back. Speculating on who gets the job is always fun but if I had to guess it would go to coach Stulley if they stay in house and if not there will be a ton of support for former coach Gabby Smith- but I doubt he would take it- every time the job has been open there has always been people that try to get him to come back, but there will be plenty of people that want the job- the problem will be if there are any jobs open at the school to hire someone.

Bottom line is Travis did a great job at Waverly and I hope the next guy works half as hard as he did and if he does we will be fine!

svikingman
Waterboy

Post by svikingman »

Yes Symmes Valley is hiring their coach tonite. I think this will be a huge thing that will happen in viking land. I think Saunders will be hired and that's the greatest news that has hit this small school in a long time. The kids are excited because I know mine is and he doesn't say much about this sort of thing until recently.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Is West Union currently taking applicants?

NormanDale
Freshman Team

Post by NormanDale »

Is that West Union job still open? I was thinking about putting in for that one!

VIKING GRAD
Riding the Bench

Post by VIKING GRAD »

vikingguy12 wrote:im just keeping my fingers crossed... miracles do happen lol.. i just get tired of the "you rub my back , ill rub yours" attitude in symmes valley land sometimes.. maybe they will get this one right!!! we'll wait and see...

You are right. It almost happened. Board went three for Saunders, one for Carpenter, and another passed, she was also supporting Carpenter but she usually passes on tough issues. The new board member who supported Carpenter is the one who probably talked him into reapplying with a promise of the job and then was unable to deliver. This is twice now he has gotten burned on trying to run the board without doing his homework. Loved Alvin Carpenter when he coached at SV but it is very hard to come back to a position once you have left it. Wish coach Saunders all the best. I am looking forward to the run and gun offense we have seen from SG in the past. Hope the SV boys are ready to do some running! This will be a 180 degree about face from the slow offense of the past three years. Good luck Vikings.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

smurray wrote:crazymidgets,
There has been a ton of talent go through Waverly since 1980 and not one coach or set of players have been able to accomplish what coach Robertson and this Senior class has done. I remember a team under coach Wolfe being ranked #2 in the State and they lost in the sectional (where they were set up to succeed). We could talk all day long about the amount of talent that has gone through Waverly since 1980 but you will never give Robertson any credit. Williamson, Hilton and Roy Conley were all starters so if my math is correct I don't think he inherited 3 to 4 starters from that SOC2 Championship team. Williamson and Hilton were 4 year varsity players, both being among the best players in the league - they lost allot. Were they expected to do better than they did his first year with Walls & Co. as Seniors, YES. 3 head coaches in 4 years for those seniors caught up to them. I had a son in that class play for 3 different head coaches; Hoover (Freshman & Soph.), Seddlemeyer (Junior), and Robertson his senior year. Maybe I feel like my son was dealt a bad hand with the way he was handled from the time he was a Freshman but did we gripe and complain, NO. Did we move him to another school, NO. Did we blame the coach for this or that, NO. What we did do was suck and up and do what you can to get better. Whether you love the guy or hate him, give him some credit for what he's done at Waverly. If you can't do that don't tell the rest of how terrible he is.

What did the legendary Larry Jordan do his 3 years at Waverly? How did Dan Bice fair? Hall of Famer Carl Wolfe had some amazing talent at Waverly, how far did they go?
When Coach Wolfe coached at Waverly, Sectionals were the real deal and an accomplishment to get out of, having to win three games on average. Today it's for the most part one and done to get to a District.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Don't anyone take that the wrong way. Believe me, I wasn't saying anything bad about Coach Wolfe. He was a great coach and could have done wonders at Waverly.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

I heard that there have been two or three applicants for West Union. Out of those, I think there's a guy currently coaching in Piketon that would do a great job.

Jim Mora
Freshman Team

Post by Jim Mora »

UKNate wrote:I heard that there have been two or three applicants for West Union. Out of those, I think there's a guy currently coaching in Piketon that would do a great job.
Yeah about the West Union job I have only heard formally of 3 applicants, can't remember the third name, but I believe I heard the former fairfield coach applied along with a young man by the name of Kyle Pertuset.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think Trent Haropp would be a great fit at West Union.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Game point wrote:I think Trent Haropp would be a great fit at West Union.
I think they would be best fit to go young, going to take a lot of youth and enthusiasm to get the program going, they need someone not looking to use West Union as a ladder to other jobs, someone who wants to build a long term program. I don't know Haropp, was he a former coach at western?

awesomepossum
Freshman Team

Post by awesomepossum »

Jim Mora wrote:
UKNate wrote:I heard that there have been two or three applicants for West Union. Out of those, I think there's a guy currently coaching in Piketon that would do a great job.
Yeah about the West Union job I have only heard formally of 3 applicants, can't remember the third name, but I believe I heard the former fairfield coach applied along with a young man by the name of Kyle Pertuset.
Mr. Pertuset has the qualities of a great coach with championship potential. He's a classy guy who knows how to develop kids both on and off the court. It would be a great move for West Union; this is a young man that coaches with a strong passion.

Jon B
Riding the Bench

Post by Jon B »

smurray wrote:Spartan, not sure what crazymidgets expects.

crazymidgets, I dont get all boogley eyed over coaches either and never said I "love" the guy, but your dislike is very evident. Travis Robertson is still a very young coach with much to learn. Being a "great" coach requires years of service and experience. I disagreed with some things he did but he was the coach and it was his decisions to make. You can disagree about things and still like and respect the guy. Travis will return to the game someday and will be a great coach. I for one appreciate what he's done at Waverly - I'm sure their are many others.
You totally missed what I was trying to say about my son and he did play, even started some games, nothing to hang onto.
No-one would be disappointed with Seddlemyer taking over but from what I've been told don't look for that to happen.

The job has been posted inside through this week and then will be advertised outside. Hoping the admin. does not settle just so the summer programs have a new head coach in place. Waverly is a great job to have and we need someone experienced and capable of taking the program to the next level.
Let's get real here.... He is leaving because they will never have that talent again.. He's not leaving for the family smurry... You don't listen to everything the man says.. Of course he is going to say that...

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

in regards to the west union coach i think kyle pertuset is a great candidate for the job. This is a young man that has a lot of energy and love for the game. He was head Junior high at piketon last year and he will have the players playing the game the right way. He also knows how to coach the game so that his players have at least a chance to win the game. I have also watched him coach some AAU games and he does a great job with all the players. West Union needs to take a good look at this coach

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Yes Harrop was the coach of Western in 08 and 09 the last 2 years Western made deep tourny runs. His last year he was district 14 coach of the year he is young and very smart . Great overall person and coach.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

It would appear from reading this thread as if the Dragons have a few good potential good choices to start the resurgence of the program.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

grajon1 wrote:in regards to the west union coach i think kyle pertuset is a great candidate for the job. This is a young man that has a lot of energy and love for the game. He was head Junior high at piketon last year and he will have the players playing the game the right way. He also knows how to coach the game so that his players have at least a chance to win the game. I have also watched him coach some AAU games and he does a great job with all the players. West Union needs to take a good look at this coach

Was Kyle the 8th grade boys coach this past season at Piketon?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Hex99, I take it from other posts you're a Waverly guy. Telling the group of athletes coming back they're not talented isn't supporting your school. The 2012/2013 edition of the Waverly Tigers has a nice core group of players to build around and a couple possibly coming out that didn't this past season. No-one expects his group to do much but I think they will surprise some folks. Say what you want, I do not believe Travis resigned because of the talent level. I would advise you to talk to him personally before posting stuff like that on a public website hid behind a username.

Return to “Boys Basketball”