Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

Post by datchillicav »

I don't think BVMV was trying to turn this into a racial debate. I think he was simply stating, as Buckcraze said, that some people whom are not from diverse areas are not able to relate to a diverse population. That does not mean just black people either. It could even mean white people who react differently to certain motivational tactics because of their upbringings. What I'm trying to say is that while someone from Vinton County, Athens County, Washington County, Rural Virginia, Rural California, or any number of places in the world may not be racist they may have a hard time relating. For the record I am white and I spent my entire life untill College in Chillicothe in the City School district. Going to college I had friends of all colors, religions, sexes, etc and was able to relate to all of them. It was normal for me as that had always been the case. My father was raised in a rural area without any diversity and he is perfectly adept at a diverse environment and coached me in multiple sports growing up and took in many kids for periods of time and was respected by all of them. On the other end of the spectrum however are those who cannot relate. When I went to college I was amazed at how many people, while not overtly racist or mean spirited by any means, harbored misperceptions about blacks, asians, muslims, etc. etc. I never really realized how sheltered a lot of people are until I went to college. Friends I had from inner cities had a hard time adjusting, friends from the country had a hard time, and IMO most of all friends from the suburbs had a hard time. Not that any of this matters and I will quit rambling but I believe that BVMV was simply tring to illustrate that some people will have trouble adjusting to an environment and a mindset in Chillicothe that is MUCH different than the average SEO school. BTW, I'm not trying to make Chillicothe sound like some type of utopia where no one is mean, just that it is different and that I could not imagine being raised in a community lacking diversity.

Back to the topic though, Thank you again to coach Kellough for his excellent tenure. Allthough I never played for him and have only spoken to him a few times, I appreciate everything he has done for the community. Whoever the next coach is, he will need to instill discipline and maintain the defensive presence of the Cavaliers. Go Cavs.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Any more news on candidates, interviews, timeline? Thanks.

The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

Lisath, Stiverson, Combs, Robertson.
Any other possible candidates?

The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

news?

skippyhoops
Waterboy

Post by skippyhoops »

Word I'm getting is that interviews start this week. As far as candidates....not sure. I would bet all of those names listed above will interview.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

The word I got yesterday is Lisath turned in his resignation to take a job in the front office of the NBA Charlotte Bobcats????????

skippyhoops
Waterboy

Post by skippyhoops »

Billy_Hoyle
Waterboy

Post by Billy_Hoyle »

super couldn't get his golden boy stiverson?
also is CHS really going to cut 15 teachers and keep the full time A.D. Veris?

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Post by ztpioneers1 »

I looked at the final 8 potential coaches and this is what I see... I see some local coaches that obviously have been licking their chops to get a chance to coach the Cavs! I wonder how long these coaches had it in the back of their mind that if this job became available hurry up and apply. Jeff Lisath, solid SVC coach that is originally from Portsmouth. He had the opportunity to coach the Trojans a few years ago and stayed with the Redstreaks. He has a loaded team coming back to Piketon (according to the Piketon faithful) and yet is quick to apply for the Cavs. He did lead his SVC team to the final four. I like some things about him but don't know if a prison guard should lead the Cavaliers. Matt Combs, This guy has won a lot of games in the last 12 years but IMO had the easiest schedule around. Everytime someone mentions that statement however the Vikings fans get on here and go crazy. I do remember him winning a district title a few years ago before getting whaliped (sp) by the Cavs. Travis Robertson, this man just lead his Waverly team to the sweet sixteen. It was a nice run for the youngster however his overall record for the Tigers is 54-44 and he's had some major talent in Waverly the last several years. He used to coach the youngsters in Chilly several years ago but I am somewhat confused about his statement in the Gazette about spending time with the family when leaving Waverly. I think he was dishonest with that statement.. He should have said, We don't have anyone coming back and I'm ready to move on. Richard Beverly, Didn't this man lose 39 out of 40 games at Adena several yrs ago? I think he and Richards are on the list because they are teachers. Neither one will be seriously considered. Woody, Assistant coach from Pick Central just enjoyed the magical run that many of us Cavs fans witnessed 4 years ago. This could be an interesting hire from the outside if they really consider him. The same can be said with Meister and Fant. I am guessing this adminstration will pick someone local to lead our cavs.. I am surprised not to see another local coach in Stiverson to apply. He probably would have been the best hire. I think the final three comes down to Lisath, Combs and Robertson. I will type my guess on the next head coach after it is announced on the final 3... Whomever it is will have a tough task to match Coach k and his staff. Go Cavs!

Last but not least i would like to hear from the biggest Cavs supporter in Hitchbone.. This man has been in our community for an eternity and I would like to know what he thinks about the coaching position..
Last edited by ztpioneers1 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Post by ztpioneers1 »

billy_hoyle wrote:super couldn't get his golden boy stiverson?
also is CHS really going to cut 15 teachers and keep the full time A.D. Veris?

I hope no teachers get cut while still having a full time AD. That doesn't make sense at all!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

bluecavs wrote:I looked at the final 8 potential coaches and this is what I see... I see some local coaches that obviously have been licking their chops to get a chance to coach the Cavs! I wonder how long these coaches had it in the back of their mind that if this job became available hurry up and apply. Jeff Lisath, solid SVC coach that is originally from Portsmouth. He had the opportunity to coach the Trojans again a few years ago and stayed with the Redstreaks. He has a loaded team coming back to Piketon (according to the Piketon faithful) and yet is quick to apply for the Cavs. He did lead his SVC team to the final four. I like some things about him but don't know if a prison guard should lead the Cavaliers.

I hope he turns it down......because he will have another successful season and possible Final 4 team. I believe he is a prison Warden, I know he is not a guard.

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Post by ztpioneers1 »

Ok. If he is offered the job he will not turn it down like the Portsmouth job. I know some of you Piketon fans really like him but I just can't see him turning it down. It will be an automatic yes if offered. JMO

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Good morning SEOP! Haven't been on here in a while,missed u guys lol. First let me say that some of you have the wrong perception of me,I'm far from being a racist or would I even think racism..diversity has many colors, not just one! If I seemed to portray a racist sorry for the misunderstanding. Second,bluecavs what's wrong with correctional officers coaching? I'm a 17 year correctional emplyee and have coached many peewee sports and I don't think the kids act differently because of my employment. Jeff Lisath is Deputy of Operations at RCI, which basically means he's one step down from the Warden. It's a important job to the everyday running of an institution. Third, the only drawback in the final 8 candidates is Richard Beverly. Beverly was Head Coach of the Cavalier 7th grade last season,he up and quit in the middle of the season because of many issues he couldn't handle..I'm stumped to why they would even give Beverly a second chance! If for some ODD reason Beverly would be named as Head Coach, look for a mass Exodus of students leave Chillicothe to play basketball somewhere else.And last,my top 3 to lead Chillicothe Basketball into the future 1. Lisath 2. Robertson 3. Woody JMO! Go Cavs!!!!!!!

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

I think it was in very poor taste for the candidates and all those who applied to be made public knowledge. It seems to me that Chillicothe seems insecure and is saying "look who wants to coach at our school." Why include the names of the applicants who did not get an interview? This is very disrespectful to those individuals. I do not know what individual is responsible for this being in the Chillicothe Gazette or on wkkj, but that individual owes some people an apology.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Sid Farkus wrote:I think it was in very poor taste for the candidates and all those who applied to be made public knowledge. It seems to me that Chillicothe seems insecure and is saying "look who wants to coach at our school." Why include the names of the applicants who did not get an interview? This is very disrespectful to those individuals. I do not know what individual is responsible for this being in the Chillicothe Gazette or on wkkj, but that individual owes some people an apology.
Hmmm. So when college and pro programs and organizations make public knowledge of who is applying is disrespectful? Not sure how this is disrespecting anyone. Simply making information availaible that the public wants to know.

zeb
Waterboy

Post by zeb »

I don't know if "disrespectful" is the right word, but it was certainly careless. It appears that many of these individuals are still employed at other places so they could probably do without all the attention before the interviews even take place. I do agree with Sid on the point of why name the people that didn't make it to the interview round. Seems to me this is just a ploy to get noticed.

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

zeb wrote:I don't know if "disrespectful" is the right word, but it was certainly careless. It appears that many of these individuals are still employed at other places so they could probably do without all the attention before the interviews even take place. I do agree with Sid on the point of why name the people that didn't make it to the interview round. Seems to me this is just a ploy to get noticed.
Don't know for sure but I would guess this came about due to a public records request from the paper.

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

letsgolf wrote:
zeb wrote:I don't know if "disrespectful" is the right word, but it was certainly careless. It appears that many of these individuals are still employed at other places so they could probably do without all the attention before the interviews even take place. I do agree with Sid on the point of why name the people that didn't make it to the interview round. Seems to me this is just a ploy to get noticed.
Don't know for sure but I would guess this came about due to a public records request from the paper.
If it did not, it could have if requested.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Some of these applicants are still coaching a team. How would you feel reading this in the paper if you were a player at Piketon? Do you think Coach Lisath enjoys having to answer questions about this from his players? If Chillicothe picks someone else or Coach Lisath decides he does not want this job, then this may create hard feelings when it could have been avoided if Chillicothe hadn't made this public knowledge.

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

My point is it happens all the time its not a big deal. However, I did not read the part about people that were not selected for the final interview. That seems kinda strange. Although, once again, similar things happen at the collegitate and professional level. You see stories of big names interviewing and then the following day "So and so will not be the next head coach, the search continues".

Return to “Boys Basketball”