Gibson steps down at Athens

jottings
SEOPS H

Gibson steps down at Athens

Post by jottings »

Read in the Athens Messinger that longtime Athens basketball and baseball coach Fred Gibson retired Wednesday night after spending nearly 50 years as a teacher and coach for the Bulldogs. Very competitive man. Hope Fred has a long and happy retirement. Hope he'll be in the press box Aig, 24 when GAHS rolls into town for a football game. Good luck, Fred.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Gibson steps down at Athens

Post by danicalifornia »

Congrats to Coach Gibson on a great career and hopefully a long and happy retirement!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Gibby has been a GREAT coach/teacher/ambassador for sports at Athens High School, and the Athens community ... Fred ALWAYS found time to say hello over the years no matter the sporting event ... I'm sure Gibby will continue to support Athens HS & the Bulldog sports nation BUT will find some "ME" time now for himself and family ... wishing you the best in retirement Gibby from those of us here in the Land of Purple ...

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Gibby for sure is one of the good guys.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Congrats to Gibby on the retirement. Gibby has always been a "class act" and well respected. He will be missed.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:Gibby has been a GREAT coach/teacher/ambassador for sports at Athens High School, and the Athens community ... Fred ALWAYS found time to say hello over the years no matter the sporting event ... I'm sure Gibby will continue to support Athens HS & the Bulldog sports nation BUT will find some "ME" time now for himself and family ... wishing you the best in retirement Gibby from those of us here in the Land of Purple ...

I don't think their will be much 'ME' time Floyd ... he probably does more work for Nelsonville T.V. cable and 107.7 than he did coaching ... football games, volleyball games, boys and girls basketball games, varsity and junior varsity ... he is still the P.A. announcer at football games ... I immagine he'll be right in the thick of things just like he's always been ... :mrgreen:

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

Always hated playing Athens when I was in school...every team coached by him...you knew that u were going to get every thing that they had!!!! Respected Coach Gibson then and I've got to know him over the years so I respect him even more now!!!! Good luck on your retirement Coach!!!!

surfsider
All State

Post by surfsider »

I always wind up sittin' behind Coach Gibson at the OHSAA boys tournament. Nice fella. Any friend of sportfolio's and Jottings is a friend of mine. I think I sold him tickets for some games too. Wow, 50 years. Happy retirement.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Congrats Coach

boy of summer
Freshman Team

Post by boy of summer »

Great coach and an even better person! He is and has been a great ambassador for Athens County and southeastern Ohio. He will be missed by all. Good luck in your retirement Coach Gibson!

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

Thanks for all the kind things said about me. But it was only 42 years!! I'm not THAT old yet!

Bravo3
Waterboy

Post by Bravo3 »

Sending a wish from Meigs that you will enjoy your retirement. You always smile and speak to people, which means alot.

Return to “Boys Basketball”