waverly basketball 12-13

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: waverly basketball 12-13

Post by smurray »

Da Tigers fight through foul trouble and an injury to Phil Hart to come away from Washington Court House with a 59-58 win. Aaron Heibel lead the Tigers in scoring with 17 points hitting 5 threes. Hart went down in the 2nd period and didn't return. Tigers had trouble from the FT line in the waning seconds that would have iced it earlier but 2 FT's from White with 6 seconds to play put Waverly up by 4. A 3 by Court House at the buzzer cut the margin of victory to 1. A good opening game win on the road for Waverly.

Waverly goes 3 for 3 with the Freshman coming back to win and the JV winning in OT on a game winning buzzer beater from Beau Szoke's best bud, Jake Henderson.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Do we know if Hart can go Tuesday?
Either way i wish the young man a speedy recovery he can give a spark to our offense just as he did last season.

WigersTaverly
Waterboy

Post by WigersTaverly »

I have heard Hart is out for 4-6 weeks, with 3 torn ligaments in his ankle.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I was told the same, out 4-6 weeks. That is a huge blow, losing 1 of only 2 returning starters, but they have to pick it up and move on. Not much time to prepare for a very tough game at Vinton County tomorrow and then home Friday against a tough Burg squad.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

I watched them tigers Play VC tough. Both teams were without one of their best players. Waverly's size really gave VC some issues. the only real problem i saw for Waverly in that game was VC was more physical and scrappy. VC got loose balls and rebounds that imo they should noy have got against the size of the Tigers. If Waverly turns on the attitude on the court to go with that size and skill, they will be a force. Good luck Tigers.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I want to give a shout out to the boys . They have went threw a tuff spell with Hart getting injured players quiting the death of a friend !! And threw all this you guys have stuck together and seem to have turned a corner you are 3-1 in your last 4 games beating state ranked Oak Hill and a very good Webster team. I am a Waverly alum and am very proud of you boys keep it up guys your a testament to hard work and perseverance !

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

State ranked Oak Hill?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Yes state ranked check the AP Poll !!! They are 7th ! I try not to post unless I research what I'm talking about.

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

I see it now, I was looking at the wrong division. They are ahead of Ironton in the poll.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Tigers are back to playing ball with passion and intensity. Losing Hart during the opening game was a big blow but Da Tigers hung on in the 2nd half to beat Washington Court House is who 7-3 at this point. The Tigers searched for an identity without Hart and quite frankly other things were affecting the team as well. Aside from Wheelersburg and West I'm not sure which other games they could have won. No-one is beating Ironton, Vinton County was on the road 1st game without Hart and Heibel was out. They played Minford and Eastern about as well as they could under the circumstances, and I believe were just totallt gassed for the early Saturday game at North Adams.
The ship is sailing upright once again and the team assembled now is dedicated to playing as hard as they can for 32 minutes, leaving everything on the floor.
It is doubtful they will win every game but all we can ask for is what we've seen the past week. Waverly has a very tough schedule against some very good teams. Two more road games this weekend as they travel to Northwest Friday and then to Chespeake to take on a very good Panther team in the night cap of the Beast of the Southeast. Then the Tigers return home on Tuesday to host a very good Valley Indian squad - NO REST.
Hart continues to get himself in basketball shape and will only get better. Aaron Heibel has a broken nose and will be wearing a mask Friday night. Get everybody healthy and these young guys who have been forced to grow up faster than expected working together and his Tiger team can be a very dangerous group to encounter come tournament time. They could even determine the outcome of the SOC, they have knocked off previously undefeated Oak Hill and 7-2 South Webster.
(Oak Hill then turned around and beat Valley).

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Ya that's insane but that's the power of Norm !! But it gives Waverlys win over them more importance come tourney draw I think.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Waverly could really play spoiler down the stretch that's for sure .

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly 41 Northwest 37 in one ugly game.
Northwest lead 18-17 at the break. Waverly took their first lead at 24-22 but then Northwest lead 33-26 midway through the 4th. Waverly went on a 13-0 run to take the lead 39-33 on Hart's 2 FT's with under a minute to play. Northwest answered with 4 unanswered to cut the Tiger lead to 2 at 39-37 with 18.3 to play. White hit a pair of FT's with 17.1 to play to make it 41-37. The Tigers missed a couple FT's with 4.2 to play and Norhwest missed a last cond shot.

The Tigers couldn't buy a bucket as they missed tons of open looks but they pulled out the win in the end.
Congrats to the JV squad for pulling out the W as well.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

The Tigers won't get any style points for the win Friday at Northwest, but they do a road SOC II win. It was not pretty, it was not clean, it was not technically sound, but it was a win.
I think Waverly made three 3-pointers all night. One was our first bucket one made it 18-15 NW and then White's late in the game. If anybody has shooting stats for either or both I would love to see them, because I know they can't be pretty..

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

G&B.....All they have to be is one point better in the gymnasium on that night.

"If Chow makes the transfer, you will get Teddy. If not, well, then, hey. It's Bangkok." — The Hangover II :lol:

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Keyser,
A win is a win is a win. I know and being a Tiger fan I'll take the win.

B-dawg79
Freshman Team

Post by B-dawg79 »

I tell ya I think the tigers are gonna have a nice dual threat with the Henderson brothers the next four years

Return to “Boys Basketball”