A true rivalry

warningtrackpower
All Conference

A true rivalry

Post by warningtrackpower »

On this week's SVC Sports Talk (podcast show of SVCsportszone.com) we talked about what makes a good rivalry. This talk is in the first 10 minutes of the show. We would love for you to click the link below, listen, and let us know your thoughts...thanks...

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk091712

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: A true rivalry

Post by danicalifornia »

For me, in the SVC, it has to be Unioto vs. Zane Trace. This may be extremely biased though.

I remember the boys basketball rivalry from the time I was a youngster. It's when people were made legends to us in the middle school, I can remember the Beard brothers being carried off the floor after a close win at the Pit, various big shots, and a lot of cheap shots, but most of all, intensity and pride. It really helped that there were two firey coaches, 2 great student sections, and many fantastic teams throughout the 90's for both schools.

Playing in it for me was very one sided, with them beating us all but a single game and with us always being neck and neck in the league race. Once the turn of the century happened(that sounds weird) the rivalry really sparked up in baseball as well. Once Ron Allen took over, the ZT baseball program began to boom and Unioto stayed at or near the top of the league as well. ZT snapped Unioto's extremely long sectional title run in 00 and Unioto kept ZT from a Gold ball in 02. Some great games there as well.

The 2 schools were the only 2 SVC schools to have soccer programs for a long, long time and that started the rivalry for the RossCo Cup. Unioto dominated the early goings in the Cup history, with some tightly contested games and then once it was cut down to a once a year game, it got really heated. Gary Sallade has coached both programs to great success and you can tell how much it means to him to get the W for Unioto now. ZT was rejuvenated in the middle of the 00's and has been a force every since, which has made this rivalry very intense.

They are the top 2 Cross Country and Track programs in the SVC as well, with ZT dominating the girls, while U dominates the boys. This leads to many a discussion on which team is more impressive, with both boasting great credientials and both recently sending standout athletes to top NCAA programs in the country.

Girls sports are not limited to this either, in basketball from Ashley McWhorter and Dennale Speakman hitting game winners in the closing seconds to win the SVC for Unioto to Kristal Tharp hit big shot after big shot trying to will her team to victory to ZT snapping Unioto's attempt at history for longest winning streak just a couple of seasons back. The gym was packed for their rematch where Morgan Gumm got a steal at midcourt and knocked down 2 FT's to win the SVC as an unlikely hero for the Lady Shermans. This is another one with a legendary coach had coached at both schools, Cyndy Driggs coached 2 of Ross County's best ever in Ms. Tharp and Unioto's Aubrey Eblin(who went to JH at ZT!)

I don't think you can exactly call this a friendly rivalry, but it's a great rivalry between 2 great schools and 2 very good athletic programs. I was honored to be apart of it and to play my heart out every time we stepped across the lines to the play the Pioneers.

Other notable SVC rivalries:
Adena/Westfall
Adena/Unioto
Huntington/Paint Valley
Paint Valley/Westfall football
Paint Valley/Unioto baseball in the mid 90's

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Peebles vs North Adams has always been one of the better rivalries in SEO regardless of which sport they are playing, but this is from the perspective of a Peebles fan. The schools are in close proximity to one other, they both have relatively large/passionate fan bases for D3 schools, and each have winning traditions in multiple sports. I think a case for North Adams/Eastern Brown or Peebles/Manchester could also be made as far the SHL is concerned.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

TribeManiac10 wrote:Peebles vs North Adams has always been one of the better rivalries in SEO regardless of which sport they are playing, but this is from the perspective of a Peebles fan. The schools are in close proximity to one other, they both have relatively large/passionate fan bases for D3 schools, and each have winning traditions in multiple sports. I think a case for North Adams/Eastern Brown or Peebles/Manchester could also be made as far the SHL is concerned.
I scouted a NA/EB game, got there at halftime of the JV game...couldn't find a seat. What a game it was too, tons of intensity and like SHL basketball always is, it was very fun to watch.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Piketon v Waverly. Been playing since early 1900's and its still a good one every time they lace them up. Goto finals of Waverly Holiday Classic when these 2 play and you'll see what The Chef is talking about as the Hawhee Palace is always filled to the rafters. Take earplugs and towel to dry off as it gets crazy hot from all the people packed so tightly. Waverly officials always have to open doors to let cool air in. Some folks still call it the Battle for the Pike County Seat.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

definately chef_piketon that game is always crazy its so hot in that old gym but there is so much intensity in this rivalry its always a great game

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Would love for The Tigers to come on down to The Oven just 1 yr. The Chef would make it a special visit. The Chef don't ever remember them coming south down the river to The Village. Its an open invitation. The Trojans of Portsmouth are visiting this season & that will be a special night.

The Piketon-Waverly has to be one of the longest running series in the state. The Chef hears it dates back to like 1914 with all kinda of drama mixed in?

Return to “Boys Basketball”