Chillicothe Cavaliers

SVCrocks
Waterboy

Re: Chillicothe Cavaliers

Post by SVCrocks »

Let me be blunt: Kellough did NOT retire but was forced out. He's just smart enough to "retire" get the bug and he'll be back somewhere. Meister was hired because he's a disciplinarian and higher-ups felt that the kids were "driving the bus" under Kellough. I mean, Meister held try-outs at 5:30 am to see who was a "team-player". That's all fine and well...whatever.

As far as Zach Johnson goes, and it's already been touched on, if he's a D1 talent with no skeletons then no high school coach is going to "ruin" his chances. I remember speaking with Kellough once about Humpty Hitchens and he said that several MAC schools didn't even bother to inquire about his high school stats, only his AAU season and camps were intriguing to them as far as recruiting goes. If Zach isn't playing for a D1 team then I can assure you that it's because of what's going on in Mr. Johnson's head that is holding him back, not the high school coach.

That being said, I think that Coach Meister has stepped into a world that many outsiders have stepped into and lost their bearings. Time will tell whether or not he can find those bearings or not. Much like Jeff Hobbs, there is a very different feel to a Chillicothe athlete. CHS is wonderful mixture of Country-folk, African-American Hip Hop culture, and the Appalachian mindset....all wrapped into one. Portsmouth is a very similar school IMHO. Many coaches come from white school, private smaller schools or even predominately Black schools and are overwhelmed by the "odd" culture at CHS. I don't mean to sound trite or even judgmental (I graduated from there back in the day and loved it) but rather why some coaches succeed here but many fail even when they've had success elsewhere.

Sines, Cuppett, Bobo, Dennis, Davidson, Schaar, Hull, Ray, Kellough, Stewart, Dunn have all had measures of success but almost all of the aforementioned have had long ties to Chillicothe or stayed a long time. Sines was one of the few to succeed and bolt for the more lucrative schools in Columbus.

Hope I've not rambled about too much but just my measly .05

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

SVCrocks wrote:Let me be blunt: Kellough did NOT retire but was forced out. He's just smart enough to "retire" get the bug and he'll be back somewhere. Meister was hired because he's a disciplinarian and higher-ups felt that the kids were "driving the bus" under Kellough. I mean, Meister held try-outs at 5:30 am to see who was a "team-player". That's all fine and well...whatever.

As far as Zach Johnson goes, and it's already been touched on, if he's a D1 talent with no skeletons then no high school coach is going to "ruin" his chances. I remember speaking with Kellough once about Humpty Hitchens and he said that several MAC schools didn't even bother to inquire about his high school stats, only his AAU season and camps were intriguing to them as far as recruiting goes. If Zach isn't playing for a D1 team then I can assure you that it's because of what's going on in Mr. Johnson's head that is holding him back, not the high school coach.

That being said, I think that Coach Meister has stepped into a world that many outsiders have stepped into and lost their bearings. Time will tell whether or not he can find those bearings or not. Much like Jeff Hobbs, there is a very different feel to a Chillicothe athlete. CHS is wonderful mixture of Country-folk, African-American Hip Hop culture, and the Appalachian mindset....all wrapped into one. Portsmouth is a very similar school IMHO. Many coaches come from white school, private smaller schools or even predominately Black schools and are overwhelmed by the "odd" culture at CHS. I don't mean to sound trite or even judgmental (I graduated from there back in the day and loved it) but rather why some coaches succeed here but many fail even when they've had success elsewhere.

Sines, Cuppett, Bobo, Dennis, Davidson, Schaar, Hull, Ray, Kellough, Stewart, Dunn have all had measures of success but almost all of the aforementioned have had long ties to Chillicothe or stayed a long time. Sines was one of the few to succeed and bolt for the more lucrative schools in Columbus.

Hope I've not rambled about too much but just my measly .05
Your post is dead on....Chillicothe and Portsmouth are two schools with a vast diverse of person,and everyone gets along....sorry posters I jumped the gun on my other post that Zach will not start,as of right now it's rumor,but with what happened on Senior Night anything is possible. What made Coach Kellough so good at Chillicothe was because he figured out the diversity quick and was very successful....this is not a racial thing at all either...It's just that it's not working out,and there needs to be a change..I'll say this a million times as I have posted before there is a reason Canton South is now ranked high in DII,it's because Meister left as he was 7-18 last year..

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

7-18 means a hell of a tournament fun though! 5 games in means regionals. I think Chillicothe would take that this year.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

I was told last week by one of coach k's former assistants that he will be coaching again. Where , who knows. As for meister, I'm very unimpressed . Was his contract for one year or more?

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

AAU does help and is where you get most of the exposure to college scouts, but dont under estimate the value of a team game, this is where the scouts get to see what the player actually does in a system as we all know AAU basketball is different it is all up and down and press. There are times where coaches can ruin players careers and this is one of them I mean the kid didnt even finish the game on senior night and he is your best player.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Im sure Zach has many letters at home from a variety of levels concerning his basketball talents. They have seen his skills from the past two seasons and this year. Coach Meister has not ruined him. I think his role now is to help Zach by guiding him and teaching him what the next level will bring in terms of education 1st, and how he can use basketball to grow and obtain a degree. Life awaits, go get it Zach!

AdamSchefter
Waterboy

Post by AdamSchefter »

The kid has been frustrated all year, he has not been playing the minutes he should be at every game and you think he hasnt ruined him? He will never get his senior year back and the memories he has from his senior year I am sure he will not be able to forget what has happened to him. What is Meister bringing to this program besides not winning and coaching decisions everyone disagrees with. Youre right I am sure he has tons of letters at home but when they look at this year because he has not made a decision from what I know of, they will be wondering why he is sitting out and possibly thinking its because of issues with him not knowing its the coach just not playing him for some odd reasoning.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Was Meister hired on a one year contract or what? I would say if he was, this will be his last game or two as head coach.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

NewEra wrote:Was Meister hired on a one year contract or what? I would say if he was, this will be his last game or two as head coach.
You base that on what? Do you actually think they will not renew his contract after passing on quality coaches like Combs and Lisath to get to him? I have watched this school system for years (30+) and even though the Administration has changed the mentality hasn't much. We have the tendency to do weird stuff...bad hires...and then just live with it and hope it gets better. The times and kids have changed so drastically its scary. Coaches have to understand culture, family history and backgrounds, different personalities and what makes a kid tick. Hiring someone to instill discipline is usually someone that you're familiar with, and you've been able to see their work and relationship with kids. I'm sure if the Cavs makes a nice tournament run, all sins will be forgiven...I thought this team would be 13-9 this season, we gave away a couple and played poorly in a couple we should've won. Let's see what happens...

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

First of all, Meister was 6-15 last year at Canton South(Who finished ranked #4 this year)...As far as discipline goes, I saw Kellough coach kids and wondered how they didn't go off with their background... It was because of Kellough... "The administration said he didn't have discipline" someone said on this link so they brought in Meister...
Maybe the administration can't control them at school because they haven't lived where these kids have. Sometimes it takes some understanding to help a kid not a swift kick...
Look at Ray Chambers and others...I rest my case.. should have gone into law. LOL.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

The biggest question we have to ask....why is Coach Meister calling each parent and apologizing to them this past week?! I guess calling all the basketball players after the loss to Canal Winchester S.O.B`s in the locker room is part of his discipline...Not rumor,FACT! If Chillicothe is expected to make any type of long tourney run,Zach is going to have to be on the court and not on the bench to Freshmen and Sophomores....

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Are you kidding me??? He called his players SOB'S!! Good thing he didn't do that in my day, Oh my that would have been UGLY. You talk about a lack of respect for a player and his mother! He evidently lost it! Who picked this guy? Veris, Saxton? Do they deserve equal credit? His X and O's may be OK but he just hasn't coached a Chillicothe kid. Sad, very, very sad. Keep trying to give Meister the benefit of the doubt but he keeps making it difficult.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

I doubt he called any individual a SOB. I would think it was used in frustration and in a general manner. Coach Meister is on the Chillicothe hot block right now and anybody that can will fan the flames. Ask any of Coach Kelloughs players if he ever used a profanity or Tom Cuppett, Harold Bates, Jeff Hobbs, or any coach ever! Is it right? No. Does it happen? Alot, especially in male sports. I played football at Chilli and can remember some halftime speeches that would raise your eyebrows along with some physical movement of structures like chalkboards, etc. I never went home crying to momma that the coach cussed us out. Took it like a boy/man and went out and tried harder. We live in different times and i am not advocating cussing kids out, but sometimes used in the moment it makes a difference. I apologized after every time i ever used a cross word and the funny thing was the kids usually said afterwards that coach we needed that. Point being we don't know what was said and the context it was used. Just saying... lifes too short to get to angry :)

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Post by ztpioneers1 »

Who caused this mess at Chillicothe? Can we get our ole' coach k back??????? Even if we win tonight we need him back!!!!

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

Sectional champions!!

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Congratulation to the CAVS. Hopefully Warren can make it #2 SEOAL team in districts!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Congrats to the Cavs for making a return trip to the Convo. I am extremely proud of the three seniors, Tim Beard, Adam Bixler and Zach Johnson. These young men have had scroller coaster season in terms of wins/losses, adversity and I'm sure the joy of playing the game. Seniors define teams and unfortunately a completely new coaching staff combined with some real young players, has made this difficult. Zach and Adam are like sons to me and I know they can lead this team to a District Final. Tim Beard is one of the hardest working and pleasant young men you can be around. He knows his role and he gives 110%.

The challenge is fir the staff and the young kids to expect to win and show the Southeast District who the king of the Convo has been for the past 7 years. 10-0 in District games is special and rarely seen. This team can get it to 11-0 and than anything can happen.

GO CAVS!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hitchbone64 wrote:The challenge is fir the staff and the young kids to expect to win and show the Southeast District who the king of the Convo has been for the past 7 years. 10-0 in District games is special and rarely seen. This team can get it to 11-0 and than anything can happen.

GO CAVS!!!
Got to get past by my 'Dogs first hitchbone ... :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BTW,

You Cavs fans should know by now where to find all the info on your next opponent ... http://trivalleyconference.com/Athens.html

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Bulldog... Does Athens have a good post player? I think that is where the Cavs could get hurt. If Taylor got into foul trouble I'm not sure they would get much inside other than ZJ's
drives. The draw really helped the Cavs.. getting a 6-seed and still getting to play a team you have already beaten by 20.. it doesn't get any better than that... Still great win for the Cavs and they are back at the Convo... Also Hitchbone... I echo your thoughts about Zach, Adam, and Tim. They have truly shown character this year the way they have hung in there. A lesser man would have quit!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”