Portsmouth 7-9
South Point 7-9
West 6-8
Rock Hill 4-11

maniac66
All State

Re: Jackson Sectional

Post by maniac66 »

Oak hill keeps losing they may end up getting a tough drawl in the seedings.
Valley is playing some good ball and Minford seems to be showing some promise.
Wheelersburg may be the scariest team to play from their history to you don't know what team is going to show.
Ironton well they are just talented and coming to form and will be tough to beat.
Coal Grove and Chesapeake hard to say Cheasy is the better of the two but quality wins are not there to be able to judge just how good they are.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I believe everything is up to date with all the scores. This will get tough with the game cancellations and reschedules. So, if you see any mistakes, just post and I will update.

Here are the records that I have as of 1/27:

Updated Records:

Ironton 12-2
Valley 14-3
Oak Hill 13-3
Coal Grove 12-3
Minford 11-3
Chesapeake 11-5
Wheelersburg 7-7
Portsmouth 7-9
South Point 7-9
West 6-8
Rock Hill 4-11

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr_Know »

Crab, I came out to Lucasville to watch your Indians last night as was very impressed. I've watched them a handful of games this year, most recently vs Minford, but this team seems to be getting better as the season goes on. I believe that Ironton, Valley, and Minford are the cream of the crop in D-III in this region.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Dr_Know wrote:Crab, I came out to Lucasville to watch your Indians last night as was very impressed. I've watched them a handful of games this year, most recently vs Minford, but this team seems to be getting better as the season goes on. I believe that Ironton, Valley, and Minford are the cream of the crop in D-III in this region.
Thanks for the compliments about my Indians. They are finally finding their basketball legs and hands and it is starting to show. The last few games, the guys have really bought into their roles and the sharing of the ball has been outstanding. When this team really focuses on the defensive end and moves the ball offensively, they are an absolute handful.

As far as individual players go, I think Jordan West has stepped his game up to the point where he is tough to handle. He is scoring from everywhere and he work on the glass the last few games has been outstanding. He has the ability to make Valley a very good team.

As far as the region, it is Ironton and then everyone else. I do feel there are a few teams that can challenge the Tigers in the tournament (Valley being one) but they are very, very good and play a schedule that will have them ready for the postseason. Valley, Minford, Piketon, and Eastern Brown will all have a say in who gets to Columbus.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Does the sectional lay out like this?:

Top 3 get byes
4vs5
6vs 11
7vs 10
8vs 9
1 plays winner of 6vs 11
2 plays winner 7vs 10
3 plays winner 8vs 9

How does it work?

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Ok I think I had it off a bit
1 would play 8vs 9 winner
2 would play 7vs 10
3 would play 6vs11 winner
4vs 5

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Dinocrocetti wrote:Ok I think I had it off a bit
1 would play 8vs 9 winner
2 would play 7vs 10
3 would play 6vs11 winner
4vs 5
This one is correct.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

This is not how I think it should be but with the political landscape I think it will go like this

1. Ironton
2.Valley
3. Minford
4. Chesapeke
5. Oak Hill
6. Coal Grove
7. West
8. Portsmouth
9. Burg
10.south point
11. Rock hill

This scenario gives the SOC the best chance at getting 3 advance but it also gives the independents a tougher road.
No way Portsmouth should be 8 but this matches them up with Burg. One of those go down and then none of the top three SOC schools would have to face a maturing Portsmouth team.
This draw also eliminates either Norm or Ryan from the sectional.neither Valley or Minford will want to play Burg,ortsmouth, Oak Hill or Chesy.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Dinocrocetti wrote:This is not how I think it should be but with the political landscape I think it will go like this

1. Ironton
2.Valley
3. Minford
4. Chesapeke
5. Oak Hill
6. Coal Grove
7. West
8. Portsmouth
9. Burg
10.south point
11. Rock hill

This scenario gives the SOC the best chance at getting 3 advance but it also gives the independents a tougher road.
No way Portsmouth should be 8 but this matches them up with Burg. One of those go down and then none of the top three SOC schools would have to face a maturing Portsmouth team.
This draw also eliminates either Norm or Ryan from the sectional.neither Valley or Minford will want to play Burg,ortsmouth, Oak Hill or Chesy.
I agree with a lot of this, but there is no way West is the #7. Burg has beat them twice and they have the better record. I know at the bottom, the goal will be to avoid the 8-9 game. I think that Portsmouth will come in at 9-11. Burg will be somewhere around the same record. Even though Portsmouth beat them, the SOC could help Tom get the #7.

I see it shaking out like this...

1. Ironton
2. Valley
3. Minford
4. Oak Hill
5. Chesapeake
6. Coal Grove
7. Wheelersburg
8. Portsmouth
9. West
10. South Point
11. Rock Hill

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

What if Portsmouth came in 11-9 instead of 9-11? Granted that'd be wins over Peebles and Chillicothe. Also when they put their record vs other divisions on the board how will that effect seeding? For a team like Coal Grove who has an impressive record but playing Rose Hill twice and Symmes Valley? Compared to Portsmouth who have played mostly Division 2 and a few Division 1 teams? Does strength of schedule have an effect? The problem is there are no set guidelines. If I was a coach and the only thing they looked at was record why wouldn't I schedule a bunch of cupcakes? Then if not do you look at head to head but if that's the case Portsmouth beat Burg but you still have Burg ahead of them. Either way you can look at it 20 different ways. Combined opponent record, strength of schedule, head to head, record vs divisions,key wins vs key losses, etc without guidelines it'll be a popularity contest in which if you have the fewest in the corner you you don't make an alliance you're screwed.

My Opinion:
1. Ironton
2. Valley
3. Minford
4. Oak Hill
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Coal Grove
8. Wheelersburg
9. South Point
10. West
11. Rock Hill

With South Point or West being interchangeable along with Portsmouth and Chesapeake.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

trojan7 wrote:What if Portsmouth came in 11-9 instead of 9-11? Granted that'd be wins over Peebles and Chillicothe. Also when they put their record vs other divisions on the board how will that effect seeding? For a team like Coal Grove who has an impressive record but playing Rose Hill twice and Symmes Valley? Compared to Portsmouth who have played mostly Division 2 and a few Division 1 teams? Does strength of schedule have an effect? The problem is there are no set guidelines. If I was a coach and the only thing they looked at was record why wouldn't I schedule a bunch of cupcakes? Then if not do you look at head to head but if that's the case Portsmouth beat Burg but you still have Burg ahead of them. Either way you can look at it 20 different ways. Combined opponent record, strength of schedule, head to head, record vs divisions,key wins vs key losses, etc without guidelines it'll be a popularity contest in which if you have the fewest in the corner you you don't make an alliance you're screwed.

My Opinion:
1. Ironton
2. Valley
3. Minford
4. Oak Hill
5. Portsmouth
6. Chesapeake
7. Coal Grove
8. Wheelersburg
9. South Point
10. West
11. Rock Hill

With South Point or West being interchangeable along with Portsmouth and Chesapeake.
I never said that was my opinion. I said that is how I see it playing out. There is no doubt that Portsmouth could play their way up quite a ways with wins at Chillicothe and Peebles. But as it stands now, the Trojans have played a tough schedule, but not many great wins to show for it. Their 7 wins are against teams that are a combined 35-67. Having said that, the winner of the Coal Grove-Chesapeake game tomorrow will not be seeded below Portsmouth. If Grove wins they are going to be no worse than 16-3. There schedule is not good, but 16 wins and having their whole league voting they will finish at least in the 5 spot. If Peake wins they will come in to the draw with at least 13 wins (they could really make a run with wins over Fairland and Minford). The Panthers' schedule (Athens, Warren, GA, Anderson, Spring Valley, Fairland x2, and Coal Grove x 2) is not that far behind the Trojans in terms of strength.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Wasn't really picking specifically on you Crab just from where you had Burg over Portsmouth. And yes I believe tomorrow's coal Grove-Peake matchup is a big factor but Peake's schedule still isn't as brutal as Portsmouth. Yes Spring Valley, Warren, Athens, Minford, Fairland are tough but I'd still say Ironton 2x, warren 2X, Piketon, Peebles, Columbus Brookhaven, Johnson Central, Minford are a lot tougher. I just think Portsmouth shouldn't be as low as 8 seed unless they do lose to Chillicothe and Peebles and if they win should be in 5 or 6 seed range.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

This is a tough sectional. Should be some good basketball to watch.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Trojan 7
Many times logic takes a back seat to conference affiliation. The SOC has the votes

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Just some more food for thought if we combine everyone's records

Combined opponent record
Coal Grove 77-116
Chesapeake 105-117
Portsmouth 113-92

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

It is my opinion that Ironton will be number 1 and the votes will fall such that Portsmouth and Wheelersburg will be 8/9.

Therefore, none of the other teams will have to face Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, or Ironton in the Sectional.

Wheelersburg will be the sacrificial lamb for the SOC against the non-affiliated teams.....Ironton and Portsmouth.

I agree with Dinocrocetti from an earlier post.

On_the_sidelines
Waterboy

Post by On_the_sidelines »

No way should Portsmouth drop past 7. They beat Berg and South Point head to head and West just doesn't have the resume. If they do then some coaches made poor decisons.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

On_the_sidelines wrote:No way should Portsmouth drop past 7. They beat Berg and South Point head to head and West just doesn't have the resume. If they do then some coaches made poor decisons.
Until they establish a rating system in Ohio to determine Sectional seeding (something like the Litknehous System) then you get conference affiliations dictating the seeds.

http://www.courier-journal.com/section/ ... Basketball

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:It is my opinion that Ironton will be number 1 and the votes will fall such that Portsmouth and Wheelersburg will be 8/9.

Therefore, none of the other teams will have to face Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, or Ironton in the Sectional.

Wheelersburg will be the sacrificial lamb for the SOC against the non-affiliated teams.....Ironton and Portsmouth.

I agree with Dinocrocetti from an earlier post.
The only way for that to happen is West, South Point, or Rock Hill would have to be voted to the #7. That is not going to happen. I defiantly agree that unless Portsmouth beats Chillicothe and Peebles, they will be in the 8-9 game. They will play West or South Point.

Return to “Boys Basketball”