Riding the Bench

Vinton County vs. Piketon @ OUC

Post by ou22 »

thoughts?

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Re: Vinton County vs. Piketon @ OUC

Post by cable_hogue »

I need to see this game, I was born in Pike County (Waverly), and my dad went to school at Wakefield which I think was in Piketon, but for me I am rapidly becoming a Vinton County Viking boys basketball fan, and of Coach Combs. I hate eating my own words, but since I made my first post critizing Vinton County they seem to be kicking it up a notch. Way to handle adversity guys good luck vs Piketon.
I saw on another post that theVikings won 59-24 tonite over Meigs. Not sure how good Meigs is, but if they can hold a team to an average of 6 points a quarter they are playing some kid of "D"! I don't care who you are playing, defense wins games. Reckon I will get out the ole GPS and find where OUC might be located, I assume that is Ohio at Chillitohe?

:aaaaa99 "A BIT OF A RATTLE SNAKE"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

cable hogue from Pike Co?

Great non-conference scheduled game for both.

I'll take Piketon by 5 but this should be a good matchup.

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

What time is the game and anybody else playing?

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

Ironman92 wrote:cable hogue from Pike Co?

Great non-conference scheduled game for both.

I'll take Piketon by 5 but this should be a good matchup.

Yep, I was born there, but my dad went to college at Big sandy Com College ( now KCA kentucky coal academy), and got a degree in coal mine engineering and we moved to the coal fields of W VA. We lived outside Ravenswood, but dad worked mostly in and around the towns of Bluefield, Princeton, Logan, Big Creek, and War. My senior year we beat Big Creek (OWLS) 15-7 to win the West Virginia state AA football championship. Back then the AA title was tuffer to win because there was no A class, it followed the next season with the smaller schools.
Big Creek is the high school the rocket boys attended watch the movie "October Sky"

Piketon must be good, or are you just wanting some revenge against the Vikings :122249 !
Knowing nothing about Piketon I take VC in a sneaker squeaker; possible overtime 8) :?: :!:
I remember reading in another post that you said they had a great high school pitcher; he play roundball too?

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Here Comes the Streaks!

Always a good game when these 2 tangle. Will be a tournament type contest. The Chef is worried how much last nights OT thriller took out of my beloved Streaks versus the Vikings cruised versus Meigs.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Cable Hogue: Piketon/Wakefield is the crossroads of all of southern Ohio. It's amazing how many people have roots from this area even with population being scarce. It's uncanny how many people have a family member who is from this neck of the woods and then have moved away usually to find work. A lot of that can be attributed to the APlant down through the years.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

chef_piketon wrote:Always a good game when these 2 tangle. Will be a tournament type contest.
I agree, this always seems to be a dog fight. I know VC won't have any radio coverage. Will Piketon have any radio or internet streaming of the game?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think Piketon's size in the paint wins the game . Piketon 65 Vinton County 52

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Ty Webb wrote:
chef_piketon wrote:Always a good game when these 2 tangle. Will be a tournament type contest.
I agree, this always seems to be a dog fight. I know VC won't have any radio coverage. Will Piketon have any radio or internet streaming of the game?
100.1 station covers Piketon, but I dont think they stream. Always a fun venue to play in at OUC, thanks Coach Uhrig at OUC, and their AD and administration for still letting us use your facilities.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Piketon lost Colten Williams to a shoulder injury (possible dislocation?) late in regulation last night vs ZT ... Williams is a solid sixth man off the bench for Coach Lisath - his defensive play and points at the offensive end will be missed (11 points last night) ... tonights game will be dictated by whether Jeremy Farmer stays out of foul trouble, last night vs ZT J.Farmer was on the bench more than on the court giving Wes Beam free reign of the paint (21 points, could have/should have been more had Beam gotten touches) ... I agree with the consensus - should be a competitive game at the OU-Chilli venue - a good non league contest for both teams ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

cable hogue....yeah Farmer is the big D1 pitcher and also one of the main basketball guys.

And there is no ill towards any team that beats Jackson in basketball. I haven't a single thing against Vinton Co. Combs is an excellent coach and a good guy. His varsity assistant is a Jackson guy and a very distant relation. I lived beside their JV coach and know the freshman coach. The kids always play hard...while not playing dirty and are fundamentally sound.

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

chef_piketon wrote:Cable Hogue: Piketon/Wakefield is the crossroads of all of southern Ohio. It's amazing how many people have roots from this area even with population being scarce. It's uncanny how many people have a family member who is from this neck of the woods and then have moved away usually to find work. A lot of that can be attributed to the APlant down through the years.
I do not remember living there, and went to Ravenswood schools (Jackson County WVA) my entire education, went to Pitt on a football scholarship, only played few downs except special teams until my senior year when I was backup middle linebacker, and I still got a free college education as a medical office analaysis and technology advisor.

My dad is somehow distantly related to the Rices in Jackson County Ohio, and my mom's maiden name is Thornsberry.
My dad worked for a company called WW Shaft and Slope as an engineer all over the coal fields of West Virginia, and now my parents live in a little town in Florida called "Christmas" just outside of Orlando area.
I work for a firm that assists hospitals and medical centers to make sound financial decisions, and I travel alot. I love it!
Now everyone knows the life and times of Cable Hogue. :mrgreen:

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Vikings must find a way to limit second chance points by Piketon tonight. Defensively the maroon and white must play aggressive. VC did a good job against a much bigger Meigs team last night, holding them to just 24 points.. but Piketon will not miss as many open looks (and contested ones) that Meigs did. This should be a great game between two very good teams. It typically is a pretty competitive game. I know coach Combs and the Vikings are not looking past Piketon, but if you look at the schedule, Logan Elm/PIKETON/South Webster/Athens are a few of the toughest games on the schedule, and if VC plans on getting a high seed at the DII sectional, they MUST find a way to win at least 2 or 3 of these big match ups.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Cable.. if you make the trip tonight, say hello. Ill be wearing a Cleveland Indians hat..backwards lol

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

What time is the game?

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Todays schedule of events
oUC men's game
Piketon/VC freshman