Jackson Basketball

sportsjunkie
Waterboy

Jackson Basketball

Post by sportsjunkie »

I just want to ask a couple of questions:

If your son or daughter was a freshman or sophomore and you had invested time and money into camps, AAU, practice and equipment. Wouldn't you feel cheated that the school decided not to interview any coaches that might be available, to hold a job for someone that hasn't coached in the past 5 years? Wouldn't you want them to at least interview? Wouldn't you want them to put some effort into possibly finding a young, energetic coach that might have some long term goals? If you are a Jr/Sr, are these just considered throw away years? Would a younger coach have been able to get a few of the kids that didn’t come out, maybe to play? The problem would be, if the young coach does a good job, then it would be hard to get rid of him. So… they hire Mr. Kight to bite the bullet for two years, knowing he has no desire to coach past that point. I believe this decision is based more on an administrator wanting to coach and using his power to get his way, than for the kids. And let me be clear. I am no way criticizing Mr. Kight. He works his butt off on any job or project JHS has given him for years, and whoever coached the team this ear wasn’t going to win much if any.

And one last question: Would this happen in FOOTBALL?

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Re: Jackson Basketball

Post by Ironman88 »

I don't think Jackson has one kid 9th thru 12th that played aau basketball. The girls have at least 5 and there work is paying off regardless who is coaching them jackson has no little program for young kids to play in. We have three elementary schools with gyms could have league between grade schools 2nd and 3rd on one team 4th and 5th on other playing each school people just need to put in time we have facilities.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

some schools john wooden or coach k couldn't make winners. it takes willing parents and youth coaches to get the program started on the right foot but it really helps to have some talented players. also schools with football must be able to share.

sportsjunkie
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunkie »

So you both agree that since no kids played AAU, we don't have a youth prgram and we couldn't win anyway, this is ok?

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I know of at least 2 young coaches who have won at lower levels who applied for this job and would of been very hungry and committed to build a basketball program at Jackson.

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

Jackson has one of the nicer facilities around. As big of a school as Jackson is they should at least be competitive even if they are a football school.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson will be competitive in a few years and then for several thereafter.

Jackson has 1? SEOAL title in 49 years....there are numerous reasons. We've had 4 career 1,000 point scorers.....yet we've had 5 1,000 scorers (or would've been) in the last 15 years either transfer or not finish out their playing careers.

Apparently a community of 5'9 guys with Irish heritages aren't great for basketball prowess.

lawcosportsfan
Waterboy

Post by lawcosportsfan »

ironman24 wrote:I don't think Jackson has one kid 9th thru 12th that played aau basketball. The girls have at least 5 and there work is paying off regardless who is coaching them jackson has no little program for young kids to play in. We have three elementary schools with gyms could have league between grade schools 2nd and 3rd on one team 4th and 5th on other playing each school people just need to put in time we have facilities.
Are you saying that in the city of Jackson there is not a little league basketball program. That is a little hard to believe. I thought every town in the world had little league basketball. It is usually bad and out of control, but they have it.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

and that one in 49 years was shared. Are there no youth leagues anymore?
Who are the 5 potential 1000 pt scorers? Ican think of 3.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Extremely young has UPWARDS PreK-3rd

Some 3rd-6th grade kids play at the Y (numbers are low)

Jackson has a team of 2nd-5th graders that play in the Portsmouth area league. The 5th grade also travels around some other tournaments I believe.

When I was growing up there were 6 Jackson teams in 3rd-4th and 6 teams in 5th-6th. Getting 4 teams now would be a push and likely 3 big teams...can't do a league with that. The City hasn't done a league in several years and I think when the Y started having leagues it really went down in the city's numbers.

Mix in how big football is, soccer has grown, baseball is all year and coaches don't want kids playing other sports......it's not the thing to do with most groups.

7th and 8th grades has some basketball players (basketball families).....the teams that go to Portsmouth are very very competitive but facing much smaller schools....and it's just hard to keep the groups together with other sports and selfish/unrealistic parents.

sportsjunkie
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunkie »

The question still hasn't been addressed. Should their not have been an interview? Should they be holding a job for 2 seasons for an administrator who hasn't interviewed either? The last retired coach (Jordan) didn't work out either. Just because there has only been one league title in 100 years, doesn't mean that they should just accept the fact that they aren't good. Shouldn't you at least try to hire the best canditate for the job?

And would the community put up with this if it was football?

Yes, the interest is low in Jackson. Yes the bitty ball situation is bleak at best. But you have to have some stability in a program to create some excitement.

Makes me happy that my kids don't live in this district, but it troubles me to see this.

blazing speed
Waterboy

Post by blazing speed »

Ironman 92 wrote "Mix in how big football is, soccer has grown, baseball is all year and coaches don't want kids playing other sports......it's not the thing to do with most groups."

I called all of the basketball coaches in Southeast, Oh that I know and told them that soccer and baseball are stealing basketball talent in Jackson. They are still laughing. Gotta say that I've heard this argument about football at every school, but never have I heard of soccer and baseball as the reason a basketball team is struggling.
Soccer offseason workouts start in July. I don't think that is hurting basketball.
Plus you say "baseball is year round", are you saying that baseball is interfering with basketball? It's a good thing basketball doesn't interfere with other sports by starting fall open gyms, spring AAU, and summer workouts. Oh wait... Also, I'm assuming you have spoken with Coach Hall, Lord and Mcgraw about them not wanting their kids to play other sports. Before you answer that, you might want to look at the varsity roster. 5 football players, 2 soccer players, 7 baseball players. Some of your post is consistent. But blaming other sports with a situation you obviously know nothing about and are at best guessing about is wrong.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good God.

Are you kidding? Let's keep this simple here because you made a mountain out of a mole hill. I mentioned soccer has grown in Jackson over the years and baseball is more year around doing stuff than it used to be.....it's rare kids play 3 sports anymore and football wins out....baseball is pretty big in Jackson and soccer has grown....basketball often loses out. You made a good point about basketball being far more year around demanding....in the end kids play 1 or two sports and basketball I feel is 3rd with many athletes (heck it was with me as well)

This however has nary a thing to do with any coach you mentioned. Coach Hall, Lord and McGraw are coaching their sports and trying to build their programs and each do a fine job...I haven't an issue with any of them. Every coach is trying to keep up with every other coach at other schools and with each other. Coaches need their kids there to compete better.....basketball is just 3rd a lot here in Jackson.

It's excellent that this thread was started by someone outside the school district.

Ironman88
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman88 »

Jackson has pee-wee football and several travel teams a good little league program for kids no program teaching basketball and no one willing play aau by the time kids freshman they need to choose a sport or two the days of three sport athletes are gone. Kids will go where they have some skill levels. I don't know if holding the job is right but putting a young coach in this program at this time would be bad also

blazing speed
Waterboy

Post by blazing speed »

Ironman92 wrote:Good God.

Are you kidding? Let's keep this simple here because you made a mountain out of a mole hill. I mentioned soccer has grown in Jackson over the years and baseball is more year around doing stuff than it used to be.....it's rare kids play 3 sports anymore and football wins out....baseball is pretty big in Jackson and soccer has grown....basketball often loses out. You made a good point about basketball being far more year around demanding....in the end kids play 1 or two sports and basketball I feel is 3rd with many athletes (heck it was with me as well)

This however has nary a thing to do with any coach you mentioned. Coach Hall, Lord and McGraw are coaching their sports and trying to build their programs and each do a fine job...I haven't an issue with any of them. Every coach is trying to keep up with every other coach at other schools and with each other. Coaches need their kids there to compete better.....basketball is just 3rd a lot here in Jackson.

It's excellent that this thread was started by someone outside the school district.
Sounds good, my apologies for reading too much into it. I do think that mentioning coaches not wanting kids to play other sports is unfair, but maybe not. You bring up a good point about a 3 sport athlete. It's hard to be great at something nowadays when you play a sport for 2-3 months a year and your competition inside and outside the team is playing for 10-12. Something has to give and right or wrong, kids are forced to choose if they want to start or dominate in a particular sport.
What about the number of coaches Bball has had over the years? That has to play some part in the popularity of a sport. Each sport needs a leader. Maybe giving the next coach more time would allow them to get involved in the little kids Bball? One point to mention if the job is waiting on someone, realistically how long is he willing to coach? I'm not sure. Maybe you have a little more insight on this?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thanks....I meant zero ill towards any other coach as I assist in a Jackson sport as well.

Sports nowadays is off-season workouts, specialty coach and main season. For a long time it was get your butt outside and play and main season. Times are ridiculously different. Video games and iPhones rule. It was almost exactly a generation ago that Jackson won the SEOAL title. It was my junior year and as I think back to how we grew up. All throughout the year we were outside....none of us had a basketball hoop for most of our years growing up....4 or 5 of us would go around to different parts of the neighborhood and ask to shoot at their house (funny enough the house of the current coach was one of about 5 different places we'd go. At times we'd go to the old high school and if the gym door was unlocked....we'd be in there, and were kicked out only once. Baseball, basketball and football....nearly everyday all over town we'd do some form of one of the three. 3 of the starters on that league championship team were part of that 4 or 5.

I know....cool story grandpa. Lol

Again.....I'm not saying the coaches don't want kids playing other sports, but the schedule throughout all sports at most high schools is nearly impossible to play as many as some would want to. My daughter only plays two high school sports but she has been non-stop from volleyball to softball for her entire time there. Last spring her team lost in the districts and the very next day she's at volleyball open gym. Her main sport is softball but she barely did any softball at all in the summer as she was at volleyball all summer. She had a fine volleyball season and the day after they are eliminated....hitting barn and open field.....it's endless. Mix in the upped academic schedule and homework....complete yikes and great stress. 3 sports.....not possible....and guess which sport she gave up after 8th grade?

Basketball is 3rd, has been as long as I can remember and again....soccer has grown greatly over the years, even knocking it back to 4th for the athletes of each grade.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Why didn't they hire former Ohio Basketball player Dante Jackson?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

As far as Howard coaching? The guy has a ton of energy and I have zero doubts he could have ample head coaching energy for another 10 years. He is familiar with the 5th-8th grades now. His resume is excellent. His final year coaching his team was knocked out in the regional finals on a rimmed out 3 pointer....then he wasn't permitted to coach anymore? Lol He has plenty left.

As for how it was done? I don't know....I imagine several were part of the decision and put great thought into it. You hire a young and able coach and he does everything he's supposed to but goes 2-44...he won't be staying...no way. I can't think of any examples otherwise....plus who's gonna hire him elsewhere?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

EasternDspy wrote:Why didn't they hire former Ohio Basketball player Dante Jackson?
My guess is he didn't apply...or at least wasn't one of the 3 I was told about.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I know he wants to coach high school level applied at Chillicothe.Give him call he's probably interested and was an Assitant at Ohio U last yr.

Return to “Boys Basketball”