Vinton County (10-2, 4-0) at Athens (10-2, 2-1)

Space Cowboy
SEO

Vinton County (10-2, 4-0) at Athens (10-2, 2-1)

Post by Space Cowboy »

Both teams playin solid, both are well coached, talented, and have reasonable depth. This should be a very physical battle. Being at home should favor the Bulldogs.
But I wont wager against the Vikings. VC by 3 in the upset.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Vinton County @ Athens 1/18

Post by Ironman92 »

I agree with bulldog just not as big as margin as he thinks.

Athens by 11 IMO

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote:I agree with bulldog just not as big as margin as he thinks.

Athens by 11 IMO
say what? lol

I havn't even thought about this game - let alone pick a winner ... Athens still has a game Tuesday before they play the Vikings.

Power 105
All Conference

Post by Power 105 »

This game can be heard on 970 WATH and 97.1 FM as well as online here: http://streamdb3web.securenetsystems.ne ... teURL=true

Follow us on twitter for scores, @WATHSportsFan

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Vinton County (10-2, 4-0) at Athens (10-2, 2-1)

Post by 93Bulldog »

Now that the Jackson game is out of the way ... time for the big TVC-OHIO SHOWDOWN Friday at McAfee Gymnasium!

TTT

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Whichever team wins, no matter how big or close, will be sweating the rematch down the road....but thats just a given with these two teams.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Athens can't afford to fall 2 games behind VC in league play. Although the TVC as a whole is much improved, VC has only one road league game remaining after the trip to Athens. Also, 2nd place in the Logan sectional is on the line for both t,eams. Warren has all but locked up the 1 seed and Logan Elm has struggled a bit as of late. I've seen both teams play this year and it should be a great game. Although VC seems to be the underdog being ranked behind Athens in the elite 8, SEOP top 10 and the TVC power rankings. ;)

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Nobody is buying the VC underdog role :) Seeing as how Athens is still playing without one of their best players.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Spartan wrote:Nobody is buying the VC underdog role. Seeing as how Athens is still playing without one of their best players.
Athens is mostly just a bunch of pups barely old enough to drive - two starters in fact are still being dropped off and picked up from pratice by mommy and daddy ... VC on the other hand is stacked full of grizzled veterans, who not only drive to practice, but probably voted in the last election.

VC is also the defending champs - and basically kings of the TVC-Ohio with their gazzilion banners hanging in the gym in McArthur ... if anyone is the underdog - its Athens.

* This is Athens 5th year in the league ... the other four seasons Vinton County is 39-5 and have won THREE of the four TVC-Ohio titles ... THEY ARE THE TOP DOG till someone knocks em off.

:mrgreen:

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Spartan wrote:Nobody is buying the VC underdog role :)
I am. :shock: Despite Athens' youth, this group of youthful Bulldogs are stacked with talent and size. Compound that with a home court advantage, and I would give them an edge in tomorrow night's showdown. I'm pulling for my Vikes, but they simply don't matchup very well against the Bulldogs.

Plus, I'd offer up another factor that I'd called "the desperation factor." By that, as a follow up to what Dundas mentioned, I mean that Athens needs this game for the conference race a little more then VC, considering The Bulldogs already have one league loss.

It should be a great night of hoops between two great programs. Always nice to hang out with some of my buddies from Athens. BTW, are the fine Administrators from Athens still allowing that thirty some year old guy, who usually wears a hoodie, with his hat on backwards, walk around taking pictures of every freaking play? I know the dude doesn't work for a newspaper. I mean, really?..... :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I believe you forgot to add 'handsome' to that description, Ty ... lol

I'm pretty sure he traded in his camera for a radio mic as well ... all the wonderfull training he recieved out in McArthur under the tutiledge of Mr. Knox and coach Combs ended up being valuable after all!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ty Webb wrote:I know the dude doesn't work for a newspaper. I mean, really?..... :mrgreen:
What's a newspaper? is that the thing I see delivered to old peoples houses in the morning?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Handsome?.....not so much. :roll:

But if he did get broadcast pointers from Knox and Combs, I feel free pretty sorry for what he musta endured. I've heard their studio is a dump and the stories that go when they're not recording would make a sailor blush.

If anyone would like to hear Matt Combs thoughts on the Athens/VC Showdown, just click on this link. They talk about the Athens game in the third segment around the :38 minute mark.....shameless plug! :)

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpress/vrbh01141

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ty Webb wrote:But if he did get broadcast pointers from Knox and Combs, I feel free pretty sorry for what he musta endured. I've heard their studio is a dump and the stories that go when they're not recording would make a sailor blush.
perhaps that's why he was only awarded a partial schedule instead of the full 22 games ... he definitly needs better training I think ...

BUT ... when the option presented itself to call the rematch on Feb 12th in McArthur - he couldn't turn it down ... its not very often you get to (uh um) call an OUT-RIGHT LEAGUE CHAMPIOSNHIP game you know.

;-)

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Come'on Ty, Dog, I am embarrass for you guys. Get a room!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Bulldog.. if you need some pointers on calling a title game, just contact Bob Grillo. He's done plenty. :)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Come'on Ty, Dog, I am embarrass for you guys. Get a room!
Now, now Hawkeye ... there are only two days out of the entire calendar year when Athens and VC can take jabs at each other, you should allow them to have their fun ... :)

But it is game day so I'll get back on topic ...

The one thing that worries me is the team speed of the Vikes ... not sure Athens has seen a smaller, quicker team like VC since they played Logan Elm clear back at the beginning fo the season ... I would not be surprised to see VC jump out to a little bit of lead in the first half, but once Athens adjusts, the second should make for some great basketball ... maybe we'll have another 'Miracle at McAfee' on the horizon ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:Now, now Hawkeye ... there are only two days out of the entire calendar year when Athens and VC can take jabs at each other, you should allow them to have their fun ..
No offense to Tim Ousley and Andy Long (cause their a couple of good young players) ... but that was definitly a jab at your football program, Hawkeye!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Ill be in attendance for this one Bulldog

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Athens by 10

Return to “Boys Basketball”