Oak Hill @ South Webster 1/22 *updates tonight*

Dr_Know
Riding the Bench

Re: Oak Hill @ South Webster 1/22 *updates tonight*

Post by Dr_Know »

I know what you are hinting at and I can't say I disagree. I don't have a dog in any fight, I just enjoy good hoops, but there is something about playing at Oak Hill

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

HUGE win for the Jeeps...maybe their best win of the year considering the circumstances. Oak Hill is the Wisconsin of the SOC II. Doesn't matter who they lose, they will slow down the pace to grind out victories and end up near the top of the conference each year. Coach Ater and staff have the kids playing hard and showing up ready to go every game. Schedule doesn't lighten up any, so will need to keep that focus from here on forward to tournament.

With ND having locked up the #1 seed at Valley Sectional, and East (without many tough games left) the probable #2 seed, the Jeeps need to grab the #3 spot over Whiteoak and Leesburg Fairfield as this will be a much easier path to the District Finals (and beyond) compared to the #4/#5 seeds.*

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

Just curious, how does East lockup a #2 seed? Yea they beat us at home on that small floor by 5, but we beat them by 20+ on a real floor. Who else have they played and won? I seen them playing a team with fifth graders on it at New Boston Classic.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Because they will have a better record and a split with you guys. And since the SOC1 dominates the sectional a split and more wins gives them the #2. Strength of schedual is only considered in a case of same records.

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

Really? Three wins against fifth graders is better than wins vs Wheelersburg and Minford? How many D3 teams have they beat this year?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I know I'm not saying its right it happens to the SHL teams as well look at who they play.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Wow they don't play one "1" school bigger than a D-4 . I didn't realize that. And they play Rose hill (KY) twice but that's why they will get the #2 win total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

You guys are seriously crazy if you think East gets the two seed over South Webster. Right now they're both 10-5, with East beating them once at home and South Webster destroying them by 20+ on a neutral floor. So what warrants them to be seeded over Webster? Strength of schedule? Clearly not. Playing in the SOC I? Clearly not. If Webster doesn't lose more than 2 out of their next 5, they'll definitely get the two seed.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I think Webster is the better team, but East did split with them. If East has a better record at the time of the draw then East gets the 2 seed. Would East have the same record playing webster's schedule? I doubt it.

BUT, playing a tougher schedule does get you ready for the tourney. But, playing a tough schedule and getting beat doesn't justify a team getting a higher seed by losing? The SHL teams (White Oak, Fairfield, and Manchester) usually fair well in the tourney because their record is not as good but they lost games that few in the draw would win. But, the strength of schedule argument is only valid if that team wins some of the games against the good competition. How can you get rewarded for losing in seeding? But, I do think those teams will get rewarded by being tourney ready. Just my opinion.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky/jeepoholic: I didn't say I agreed with it, I'm saying the SOC I schools WILL give East the #2 seed if they finish with fewer losses than Webster/Whiteoak/Fairfield (and that probably happens as East's only tough game before draw is Beaver Eastern). All these teams will have better resumes (not records) than East when it comes time to seed. However, Webster and the SHL schools have never gotten credit for playing tough schedules in the past, so why would it start this year?

And didn't realize it until jeepoholic said it, but East will have played (and won) against Rose Hill (KY) and their junior high kids a total of 3 times before the draw!! Before everyone gets all torqued up about this though, Jeeps can still get #2 seed if they finish with the same record as East (basically can lose only one more time). But can the Jeeps beat either Valley or Minford on the road? That'll be tough.*

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

This is why we need Super Sectionals in the Southeast.

The argument is between East and Webster for the #2 but as someone with no dog in this fight, it should be between ND and Webster for the #1. ND's record is 2 games better than the Jeeps, but they don't have a single win as good as at least 3 (Portsmouth, Minford, and Oak Hill) or possibly 5 (Burg and West) of Webster's wins. That is a joke.

The real losers here are the #1 and #2 seed at Meigs (Probably Eastern and Symmes Valley). Those two (if the seeds and brackets hold) will get 2 of Webster, White Oak, and Fairfield.

If Webster is the #3 and Fairfield the #4, Eastern will have a district Semi that amounts to a District Title game. The winner of that game would only have to beat East or Southern to go to Regionals.

I know East beat Webster, but having seen East I don't see them as a #2. If somehow Manchester slides to #7, that final will not be easy for East.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

I think Webster needs to try to avoid the #4 seed if possible since the #4 ends up with Beaver Eastern at the Convo. A #2 seed would like get maybe Trimble/Southern? while a #3 probably gets a much tougher Symmes Valley.

What's the latest on the Swords injury?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

KingoftheGame wrote:I think Webster needs to try to avoid the #4 seed if possible since the #4 ends up with Beaver Eastern at the Convo. A #2 seed would like get maybe Trimble/Southern? while a #3 probably gets a much tougher Symmes Valley.

Swords is not hurt.

kingofthegame
Freshman Team

Post by kingofthegame »

Crab's brother wrote:
KingoftheGame wrote:I think Webster needs to try to avoid the #4 seed if possible since the #4 ends up with Beaver Eastern at the Convo. A #2 seed would like get maybe Trimble/Southern? while a #3 probably gets a much tougher Symmes Valley.

Swords is not hurt.
Are they completely healthy then? I haven't seen them in awhile and someone on one of the threads mentioned injuries.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

KingoftheGame wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:

Swords is not hurt.
Are they completely healthy then? I haven't seen them in awhile and someone on one of the threads mentioned injuries.
He is not injured. He is out for other reasons.

As far as the tourney seeds go, I hold to the opinion they they mean nothing in the long run. You have to play the best to be the best so what does it matter when you play a perceived "stronger" team? In the end only one team is left standing. Just play the guy that stands in your way and forget about it.

And it was a great win for the Jeeps. They are really playing good basketball and look to be adjusting well to the loss of Swords. Very proud of the way the guys have come together.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

At the end of the day the best teams will advance.....regardless of seeding, the games are played on the court. South Webster's record/schedule speaks for itself. They certainly benefit from playing in the SOC II, and I agree with a lot of what Crab's brother said. I still think ND is better. Webster certainly a tougher schedule and better wins, but that doesn't make them better. In a one and done situation, I think ND and Eastern are both better at this point.

The Soc I schools walk a fine line when it comes to scheduling because of how drastic there talent cycles run. East won only 3 games a few seasons ago, and there schedule still reflects that some. To dismiss there win over SW would also be wrong. They have a punchers chance with any team in the district with Crager and Bias and when they take care of the ball. Bias is one of the most difficult players in the district, regardless of division, to stop 1 on 1. That said, I think they end up with the 3 seed and it would be deserved. They split SW (the likely 2 seed) and split with Symmes (the likely 2 in the other sectional). They'll have a shot at #1 Eastern before the draw as well. Lightle, they opened with division 3 West Union, who is not good, proving that just saying you beat x number of div. 3 schools isn't always telling of how good/tough your schedule is.

It will all be played out in March. On the court, where it counts.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I compleatly agree just playing any D-3 it's who the D-3 teams are that matter. But I totally agree all of the kids will decide it on the floor and I would love for any one of the teams we talk about to get hot and get to state. There's some good teams in D-4 this year and it would be awsome for one of them to take there community on a great ride.

Return to “Boys Basketball”