Warren vs Logan 02-01

warrior90
Varsity

Warren vs Logan 02-01

Post by warrior90 »

Should be a good one. Logan is always tough at home and has been playing better as of late. They will also be out to revenge the earlier loss at Warren. Thoughts on this one??

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: Warren vs Logan 02-01

Post by 1987chieftains »

GO CHIEFS

warriornation
Riding the Bench

Post by warriornation »

If Hall and Patton continue their strong play, this probably wont be close. French has struggled the last couple of games scoring in single digits, but if he gets hot along with the other two it will be over early. Warren by 20.

3morethan2
Varsity

Post by 3morethan2 »

Hope this game stays close, but I don't see it happening, Warren by double-digits

warriornation
Riding the Bench

Post by warriornation »

Is this game still on for tonight??? Warren was closed today, not sure about Logan.

frog
Waterboy

Post by frog »

According to the Logan High School website, the game is on tonight vs. Warren. Play on!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Game online anywhere?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Warren wins in OT-----63/59

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

Was Warren a little flat, or Logan pumped up?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

For my money....Logan is the toughest place to win across the sports in the SEOAL.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

What a game. Warren came from behind in the 4th quarter to tie it. They were down 5 with 1:30 left to go. Then in OT, down 4 with 1 minute and they came back to tie then French hit a big 3 to take the lead and held off Logan to win. French had 29 I think. Logan is a hard place to win and their coach had a good 3 -2 defense that really made Warren work for a open shot. French was hot and if Warren D did not come alive late we would have came away with a loss.

This game was a hard fought physical game. As a Warren fan I though the officiating was somewhat 1 sided until later in the 4th. With 4 minutes to go in fourth, we had 7 team fouls to 1 for Logan. At the end of OT we had 20 team fouls in the second half to Logans 10 team fouls in second half.

Warren needs to find a way to get an offense against this type of defense, they will see it again the way it gave us trouble. Must get that ball in the middle with a little high post / low post action instead of always settling for the outside shot.

Great win. Good to get ready for the post season. GO WARRIORS!!

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Good win for the Warriors. It was what you expect from Warren and Logan, PHYSICAL, and More PHYSICAL!!!!

For those who thought the officating was one sided here is something to think about. Warren for three quarters had 6 shots in the paint. You will not get many fouls called on the other team if you don't attack the rim. Man defense or zone!!! The Warriors were satisfied to shoot the 3 ball instead of going to the paint, hence NO FOULS called on Logan.
Give Logan credit, they came to play and attacked the rim and hit the 3s when needed. They out played Warren for 30 mins. and part of the overtime.

This should be a good wake up call!!! Now go get Belpre!!!!I

Go team warren warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Who won the JV game? Prior to the game, Warren was 6-0 in the league and Logan 6-1.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

Great comment on not attacking defense inside excoach78. I am sure Leffingwell and Patten could have been at the foul line more if we would have attacked the middle. Still thought it was a little one sided though. But I will still take the win!!!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

I thought we played as bad as we could play. I thought every ball bounced the wrong way. I thought EVERY 50/50 call went against us. BUT MOST OF ALL I thought Warren played with class(no faces or gestures) when calls went against them. I thought they played with pride as they got after it diving after loose balls, taking charges, tough like all good Warrior teams. I thought they played with a dogid determination NOT to lose no matter how poorly they played. Down 5 with 44 ticks on the clock and the home team fans are chanting "Sha NA NA Sha NA NA Hey Hey Goodbye" somehow the kids found a way to win. To me that's most important part of a win like tonight.

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

that Sha NA NA will bite you sometimes--better to do that with a 20 point lead-lol

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Warren 13 15 9 17 9 -- 63
Logan.. 8 19 10 17 5 -- 59

WARREN 63 (15-1; 7-0 SEOAL): Dylan Leffingwell 1-4-6, Evan Yabs 3-4-11, Adam Lang 1-0-2, Danny Pannell 1-0-3, Michael Hall 2-2-6, Evan French 10-3-29, Reese Patton 3-0-6. Totals 21-13-63. 3-point goals: French 6, Yabs, Pannell.

LOGAN 59 (4-11; 4-4 SEOAL): Josh Mutzner 1-1-3, Joey Cottrill 0-8-8, Josh Vermillion 3-2-8, Patrick Klinger 1-3-5, Chance Cox 0, Tristan Myers 6-7-19, Nick Kost 0, Anthony McNeal 5-2-16. Totals 16-23-59. 3-point goals: McNeal 4.

FG: Logan 16-39 (.410), Warren 21-60 (.350). 3-pt FG: Logan 4-14 (.286), Warren 8-29 (.276). FT: Logan 23-35 (.657), Warren 13-18 (.722). Rebounds: Logan 30 (Myers 8, Vermillion 6, Mutzner 5), Warren 32 (Leffingwell 9, French 8, Patton 5). Assists: Logan 11 (Cottrill 4, Mutzner 3), Warren 14 (Pannell 5, Yabs 3, Hall 3). Steals: Logan 8 (Cottrill 4), Warren 11 (Yabs 3, Lang 3). Turnovers: Logan 18, Warren 13. Fouls: Logan 15, Warren 23

These are the stats from the paper. If you normalize the shooting stats by adding a FG for every two treys made and divide the FTs by 2 and add them to the FGs, you get 31.5/69 for Warren and 29.5/53.5 for Logan, a 55.1% to 45.7% advantage for Logan. So how did Warren get 15.5 more normalized FG attempts than Logan. 5 came from turnover and 2 came from rebound differentials. That gets it down to about 8 FG attempts. You have to figure some of those 8 came from quarters(OT too) that Warren had the first and last possession. That gets it down to stats not balancing or rebounds going out of bounds that were not credited to the team total.

Warren's press defense is their forte and they must practice it a tremendous amount to have it well honed to break out the best versions of it at the most opportune times. I have witnessed it over the last 1-3 years, especially in several games vs. Marietta when it looked like Marietta was in good shape to hold on for a victory and they could not quite withstand the intense defense, so Warren's opponents giving it up at the end is not unusual.

One of my pet peeves is the 7 to 1 fouls comment. Often when I start hearing that at a game, I'm thinking that a more fairly called game would have been a greater disparity. Excoach78's comments do well in illustrating a good reason for that. I92's comment about Logan being a tough place to play hold a lot of water also about it being tough to play at Logan. Officiating I have seen there has been very tough on opposing teams. Sticking out in my memory on that point is the 2002 Marietta boys at Logan SEOAL game. I wasn't at last night's game so I can't give an opinion on how the officiating affected the game.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Jottings; The Warren jvs won 50 to 40 over Logan.
The freshmen game was won by Logan 38 to 32 over the younger Warriors.

Sorry for not posting this but I left all my stats with Coach Maddox last night. Had to call brother to get the scores.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

mhs95_06 wrote:Warren's press defense is their forte and they must practice it a tremendous amount to have it well honed to break out the best versions of it at the most opportune times. I have witnessed it over the last 1-3 years, especially in several games vs. Marietta when it looked like Marietta was in good shape to hold on for a victory and they could not quite withstand the intense defense, so Warren's opponents giving it up at the end is not unusual.

One of my pet peeves is the 7 to 1 fouls comment. Often when I start hearing that at a game, I'm thinking that a more fairly called game would have been a greater disparity. Excoach78's comments do well in illustrating a good reason for that. I92's comment about Logan being a tough place to play hold a lot of water also about it being tough to play at Logan. Officiating I have seen there has been very tough on opposing teams. Sticking out in my memory on that point is the 2002 Marietta boys at Logan SEOAL game. I wasn't at last night's game so I can't give an opinion on how the officiating affected the game.
I didn't believe at the start of the season that this team could or would play the Warrior Basketball, that tuff hardnosed defense that Coach Maddox's teams are known for. With Leffingwell providing an enormous inside physical presence they have turned that corner. Senior Leadership has been outstanding . You can see it on and off the court.

As far as the refs. The was a kid that looked to me as if he were doing his 1st Big Time Gane. A couple inavertant whistles and a mixup on a call they had to announce "no foul" after he signaled foul to the scorers table. Another sequence a Warren play, I believe it was Leffingwell was clearly "mugged" knocked to the floor and step on, while Coach Maddox pleads his case to the ref on the "no call" the ref calls a "ticky tack" cheap very questionable reach in the front court before Logan crossed the time line.
In an earlier post I mentioned in all the above that was going on I NEVER saw one scowl or reaction from the kids or the coaching staff. Win or lose we as Warren Warriors should be mighty mighty proud of the content of character that they all displayed. I saw no pleading with refs. Danny Pannell was brutalized a couple times and that young man stood tall to it like a true Warrior and played harder the next play. Coach Maddox has took something pretty good and I believe is molding something that may be greater than the sum of its parts. In this day an age all that trash talking attitudes and players that play when they want to it is sooooo refreshing to see what's going on in Warriorland. Yes the winning is nice but the displayed character and the way this group represents our community I think is special.

Congrats newspaper reported that its the 1st SEAOL title since 2006. Is that correct? If it is well that's a tremdous accomplishment.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

A few things to clarify.....Logan students were doing the goodbye chant to he kid that fouled out not because the game was over. Second, sitting in the very front row, i was able to see plenty of reactions from some warren players when calls that they didnt get, including a player saying "thats f#%?ing bull@#%`" so please gimme a break with the holier than thou nonsense. Three people commented on seeing that.

But, one of the best games at Logan in a long time. Best effort for four quarters by Logan all season. French is best pure shooter ive seen in 10 yrs.

Return to “Boys Basketball”