Portsmouth Trojans 2013-2014 Preview

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 2013-2014 Preview

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth went 3-1 yesterday at Waverly, splitting 2 quarters with the Tigers (tied 23-23), and winning 2 quarters convincingly against Miami Trace (won by about 28 points). The Trojans showed a lot of energy on defense, creating a lot of their offense off turnovers. 3 different players knocked down 3 pointers. The FT shooting seemed to be a little better, which will be very important considering that the Trojans have a number of players that can take the ball to the basket and draw fouls. Rebounding was okay, with much room for improvement........but it's still early, and there's time to get better at every phase of the game.

I can see Waverly having a good season if they can adequately handle ball pressure like the Trojans employed on them. WHS did a credible job in that area, and showed some good outside shooting. Miami Trace has some talent, but they did not handle the defensive pressure as well as Waverly did.

Portsmouth will not be playing in the OVC preview on Friday, with the final scrimmage being at Northwest, Tuesday at 5 PM.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Due to the playoff success of the Wheelersburg Pirates football team, the game scheduled for Tuesday, Dec.3rd apparently will be moved to another date to be determined. The opening game then would be at Jackson on Friday, Dec.6th, followed by a road game at Ironton on Sat.7th.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Wheelersburg game has been moved to Tuesday, Jan.21st.(at Wheelersburg)

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans finished their scrimmage schedule last night at Northwest........and overall looked very strong against the Mohawks, as PHS created a lot of their offense by creating numerous turnovers. Kyre Allison and Sky Oliver looked really good driving to the basket, while Isaiah Lisath played some outstanding defense. Alex Dickerson showed some prowess from the 3 point line, while Hunter Gibson used his muscle inside to draw fouls. Kendall Reynolds played with a lot of energy, and Kahlil Lattimore played all-around solid basketball. Every player got minutes, and even the second unit played well. #44 on Northwest (don't know his name) is a very nice player, about 6-5 with a good skill package.

The free throw shooting still must get better.........the Trojans will get a ton of opportunities at the charity stripe this year with their ability to drive to the basket, and to maximize success, have to do better in this area. Boxing out for rebounds is another concern with PHS's lack of size. The coaching staff works on these things again and again, but it comes down to kids executing it in game action.

Given no injuries, being able to rebound and shoot free throws better, there's no question from what I've seen that the Trojans can post around a 15-7 record in the regular season (they won 10 games last year with a totally inexperienced team).......could be better if they become proficient in the aforementioned areas. The schedule has some uncertainty to it, mainly how good are the Cleveland teams and the teams PHS will face in Florida. Considering the possibility that those teams will be really good, and taking into account the needed improvement in rebounding and FT shooting, that's why I'm going with a 15-7 prediction.

The strength of the 2013-2014 Trojans will be being able to force turnovers with their defense. Coach Collins has these kids guarding with a lot of energy. Opposing teams could have a tough time running their offenses against the Trojans ball pressure.......and PHS has shown the capability to quickly get down the court, converting turnovers into points.

With D3 being subpar this year, Portsmouth is very capable of making a good run in the postseason........rebounding and FT's will definitely have an impact on how the tourney will go for the 2013-2014 Trojans.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

trojandave wrote:The Trojans finished their scrimmage schedule last night at Northwest........and overall looked very strong against the Mohawks, as PHS created a lot of their offense by creating numerous turnovers. Kyre Allison and Sky Oliver looked really good driving to the basket, while Isaiah Lisath played some outstanding defense. Alex Dickerson showed some prowess from the 3 point line, while Hunter Gibson used his muscle inside to draw fouls. Kendall Reynolds played with a lot of energy, and Kahlil Lattimore played all-around solid basketball. Every player got minutes, and even the second unit played well. #44 on Northwest (don't know his name) is a very nice player, about 6-5 with a good skill package.

The free throw shooting still must get better.........the Trojans will get a ton of opportunities at the charity stripe this year with their ability to drive to the basket, and to maximize success, have to do better in this area. Boxing out for rebounds is another concern with PHS's lack of size. The coaching staff works on these things again and again, but it comes down to kids executing it in game action.

Given no injuries, being able to rebound and shoot free throws better, there's no question from what I've seen that the Trojans can post around a 15-7 record in the regular season (they won 10 games last year with a totally inexperienced team).......could be better if they become proficient in the aforementioned areas. The schedule has some uncertainty to it, mainly how good are the Cleveland teams and the teams PHS will face in Florida. That's why I'm going with a 15-7 prediction.

The strength of the 2013-2014 will be being able to force turnovers with their defense. Coach Collins has these kids guarding with a lot of energy. Opposing teams could have a tough time running their offenses against the Trojans ball pressure.

With D3 being subpar this year, Portsmouth is very capable of making a good run in the postseason........rebounding and FT's will definitely have an impact on how the tourney will go for the 2013-2014 Trojans.
My guess would be #44 from Northwest was coach Scarberry's son, Drew Scarberry. Hes got some ability and should have an excellent season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Jesco, I was really impressed with that kid last night. He should have a really good year, but like any good player, will need his teammates to make some plays so opposing coaches won't gameplan just to stop him.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coach Collins currently is the 9th winningest coach in PHS history with an overall 67-28 record in 4 years. The 6th, 7th, and 8th winningest coaches are in order, Bob Doll, 85-59, Jim Rhea, 81-52, and Bill Rohr, 80-29. Given a good season, and a tournament run, Eugene could be moving up to pass all 3 this year. The 5th winningest coach in Trojan history is Joe Suboticki, with an astounding 94-11 record. His winning pct.of 89.5% is tops among all PHS coaches.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Who was the longest tenured coach in PHS history?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jesco: The late George Heller coached the Trojans from 1952-1968, and had a very good record of 224-135, with 9 district titles, 1 state championship, and 2 other teams that reached the regional finals. Coach Heller had to deal with the competition of the Greater Ohio League, which at that time in history was the toughest basketball league in the state (11 big school state championships from 1944-1961). The Trojans lost in the regionals in 1952, 1954, and 1956 to the eventual state champion, Hamilton or Middletown. The Trojans beat Middletown in the regular season in 1953, and the Middies went on to win the state title. PHS reached the regional final in 1955, but lost to Cincinnati Hughes 56-54 on a buzzer beater. Hughes went on to finish state runnerup. In 1963, PHS lost to Columbus East in the regional semifinals, and then East went on to win the state title. In 1964, Dayton Belmont beat the Trojans 79-64 at the former Grant Gym, and then the Bison went on to win the state title. Belmont's stars were Bill Hosket and Don May, both of whom would go on to play in the NBA.

The competition back then was incredible!!.......yet Coach Heller and the Trojans held their own in the GOL, winning the league in 1955, 1961(Trojans state champions), and 1965........a very proud chapter in PHS basketball history.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

That's awesome stuff!!!! How did Portsmouth fair against the Jerry Lucas led Middletown teams from '56-'58?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jesco: The Trojans did not fare well against the great Jerry Lucas led Middletown teams........in fact, in the 1956 regional semifinals, the Middies beat the Trojans 102-82. Scoring 100 points back then was virtually unheard of, and PHS scored 82 themselves!! Middletown did not lose to the Trojans from 1956-1959, 9 straight losses (including tournament play)......but Portsmouth swept the Middies in 1955 and 1960. Lucas' Middies won state titles in 1956 and 1957, both years going undefeated, and went into the 1958 state semifinals with an undefeated mark. But Columbus North upset Middletown ending Lucas' great career at MHS.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Trojandave, thanks for the info! I absolutely love reading up on the history of sports in our area, and no school in Scioto County has a richer history than Portsmouth's basketball program! I remember as a kid in the 80's, the guys that played for the Trojans seemed like super heroes to me.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

For anyone interested in the history of Portsmouth basketball, check out http://www.trojanhoops.org., and go to Trojandave's thoughts........not trying to promote myself at all, the website is the outstanding work of Matt Payton, who asked me to do the history part of the site. I think the reader will enjoy the rich history of Trojan basketball. I know it has made me even more proud to be a Trojan when I started researching our past. As I've told people, our history is more than winning 4 state championships. So many great players, great coaches, great teams, and great competition.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

trojandave wrote:For anyone interested in the history of Portsmouth basketball, check out http://www.trojanhoops.org., and go to Trojandave's thoughts........not trying to promote myself at all, the website is the outstanding work of Matt Payton, who asked me to do the history part of the site. I think the reader will enjoy the rich history of Trojan basketball. I know it has made me even more proud to be a Trojan when I started researching our past. As I've told people, our history is more than winning 4 state championships. So many great players, great coaches, great teams, and great competition.
I absolutely will. Here's a funny history note for you, I was actually present the day Matt was born. He and his older brother share the same birthday, and his mom had to go to the hospital in the middle of his brother's bday party lol

I look forward to reading everything!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

dave I look threw your book on a weekly basis, such great stuff, its a top ten book on my list...now If I could find the time to put together a football book

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Good luck to the Trojans this year! Glad you guys still on Chillicothes schedule. ..

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here is Portsmouth's bracket in the KSA tournament in Orlando which will be held between Dec.26th-Dec.30th:

Upper bracket

Portsmouth vs. Cinnaminson (NJ)
Owen County (KY) vs. Griswold (CT)

Lower bracket

Liberty Christian Prep (FL) vs. Legacy HS (FL)
Logan Elm (OH) vs. Mercyhurst Prep (PA)

Don't have the exact dates or times, but there will be a winner's and loser's bracket, and each team will be playing 3 games. This bracket is considered the small school bracket. In 2011, the Trojans went 2-1 playing in the larger school bracket.
Last edited by trojandave on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

bvmv4life: I will be looking for you when the Trojans come to Hatton Gymnasium later in the season.........PHS and CHS should ALWAYS play each other........this year's meeting will break a 43-43 tie, although your Cavaliers have won 16 of the last 19 games against us.

CCC
Riding the Bench

Post by CCC »

Trojan Dave, what was PHS's over all record for the 06-07 season through the 08-09?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

CCC: Here are the Trojans' records for the period you requested:

2006-07: 4-18
2007-08: 9-12
2008-09: 10-12
2010-2011: 21-5
2011-2012: 24-3
2012-2013: 10-13

Return to “Boys Basketball”