2/28 - #2 Athens v. #6 Chillicothe @ Convo

Spartan
All Conference

Re: 2/28 - #2 Athens v. #6 Chillicothe @ Convo

Post by Spartan »

I think Burrow spearheaded the comeback, Watson and Saltzman picked up the offense and Luehrman X 2 played great defense blocking shots making passes, deflections etc and Elmore made some tough baskets. The Luehrmans really get the tough rebounds when the game is on the line.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

Another SEOAL team being put out by a conference they all think is beneath them. Warren is next!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

BURROW - 8 pts in the 4th quarter ... 12 in the 2nd half.
SALTZMEN - 13 pts for the game ... 6-for-8 from the free throw line.
WATSON - 20 pts ... 16 in the 2nd half and was a perfect 7-for-7 from the free throw line.
ELMORE - 9 pts

they all stepped up, IMO.

(Athens defense holds Johnson scoreless in the 3rd quarter - also a testement to the 'team')

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Congrats to the Athens Bulldogs on victory from a Cavs fan...officiating wasnt as bad as thought,that didn't determine the outcome....Athens made adjustments at the half that Coach Meister didn't counteract on..a Coach Kellough coached team would've finished the Bulldogs especially being up by 13 and Zach Johnson having 16 at the half...but oh well!!! It is time for Coach Meister to ride off into the sunset cause his way just isnt working!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 59
Chillicothe 49

... what a tale of 2 halves ... Athens in the first 2 quarters put up 14 points - TOTAL ...the Bulldogs (IF that's who was on the Convo court in the White uni's- I'm still working on the theory that someone kidnapped the AHS boys and we watched a shadow of the Athens team in half #1) ... 11 TOs ... 0/4 shooting from behind the arc, a team that looked so unlike the Bulldog squad we have become familiar with in the 2012-13 regular season ... Chillicothe? the Cavs (at least that's who was supposed to be on the opposite side of the mid court line) focused, quick, a team that took the "Convo Factor" out of the equation by getting to the rim - 5 of their first 6 baskets were "at the rim" not from the perimeter ... defensively the Cavs (if that's who they really were) were the aggressor - getting to the loose balls, forcing Athens turnovers , this team was so unlike any Cavs team in any game this season... the scoreboard showed Chillicothe 27 Athens 14 at intermission ... Zack Johnson for Chillicothe put up 16 points on his own ball in half #1 ... Zach Johnson 16 Athens 14 at the half ... half time allows coaches to make "changes"/"adjustments", I'm thinking' Coach Skinner will be bottling his half time "pep talk" - what a difference a half makes ... Athens hit the floor running/upping the defensive pressure, turned up the tempo of the offense - Ibi Watson kick started the AHS "O" with a big 3 ball in Athen's first possession, Athens began taking the ball to the rim - Burrow/Saltzman/Watson put the Bulldog offense on their backs for 14 points ... Athens picked up the pressure defensively forcing 8 Cav turnovers in the 3rd, limiting Chillicothe to 7 points in the 3rd ... shutting out Zach Johnson ... Johnson 16 Athens 28 ... Athens 28 Chillicothe 34 after three ... the 4th and final quarter was all Athens - 31 points in the qtr. ... 12/13 from the FT Line ... Burrow/Watson/Saltzman took over ... that's a sophomore and 2 freshmen taking over the game inside and out in the 4th ( Burrow 8 pts/Watson 13 pts/Saltzman 7 pts ... throw in the "old man" Jared Elmore picking up the go ahead bucket at the 4:46 mark of the 4th Athens 40 Cavs 39 ... scoring went back and forth Athens took a 47-46 lead with the ball ... 2:10 left in the game ... Zach Johnson with a steal at mid court ... nothing but open court to the rim and a Cavs lead Johnson elevated for the dunk ............ didn't happen a dunk that wasn't a dunk - ended up a TO - Athens ball ... Athens finds Zacchia Saltzment in the left corner for the 3 ... a 5 point swing on the "not dunk" + Saltman trey ... Athens got the separation they needed 50-46 ... the beginning of the end for CHS as the Cavs were forced to foul, Athens responded with Watson going 7/7 from the line,Saltzman 4/4 from the line overall 12/13 in the 4th period for the Bulldogs ... game, set and match as Athens get the "W" 59-49 to advance to take on Miami Trace next Thursday night for a District Championship ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats -Chillicothe

Scoring : Zach Johnson 25,Nate Rosenbaurer 7, Adam Bixler 6, Tommy Bolte 5, Nolan Taylor 4, Tim Beard 2

3 Pointers : 6/19 ... Johnson 4, Rosenbaurer 1, Bolte 1

FT's : 1/1

TO's : 20

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring : Ibi Watson 20, Zaccia Saltzman 13, Joey Burrow 12, Jared Elmore 9, Ryan Luehrman 3, Adam Luehrman 2

3 Pointers : 4/11 ... Burrow 2, Watson 1, Saltzman 1

FTs : 15/19 ... 12/13 in the 4th period

TO : 16

Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Congrats to Athens, and a big "W" for the TVC.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd LOVES the 'free-throw' factor ... Athens 15-of-19 ... 12-for-13 in the 4th quarter.

good recipe for wins.

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

I was at the game and I don't have ties to either team but I did think the disparity in fouls was a little suspect.. however I do think the best team won and if I did root for someone it was Chilli.. It is hard for one player to beat five.. if you Athens fans are so blind to not realize that Zack Johnson was the beat player on the floor, you just plainly don't know basketball ... I don't know if you mentioned number 14 for Athens, he was your best player tonight. When the game started to turn was when he started to drive to the hole..sometimes scoring and also a nice drop off to a teammate. Look at the film if you have a chance.. he was the one that turned the momentum..the others made some shots but when he did his damage was when they were way behind and he wouldn't be denied.. I wouldn't know that kid if he walked up to me but he played a great game tonight... Congats to Athens...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Freshmen Zacciah Saltzmen is #14 ... this was only his 2nd game back after sitting out for a few weeks with a back injury ... he IS VALUABLE to the Athens offense, having him back on the floor and getting more involved was a good sign.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Johnson was the best player on the court but Athens had the better team. I was really impressed with Saltzmen. First, he is built more like an upperclassmen than a underclassmen. He did a nice job of getting to the basket for some shots and also kicking. Burrow and the rest of the Bulldogs also had some big plays. They have a very nice team. They picked up their game a couple of notches in the second half, a young team learning how to raise its game to the tournament level, while I felt Chillicothe didn't come out all that fired up, despite being the underdog and up 13.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Could there have been a few more fouls called against Athens? Sure, there are always a few more fouls that can be called on either team. Chillicothe settled for too many offbalanced threes and jumpers instead of attacking the zone.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I'm not going to blame officials....We had an opportunity to put the game away at the start of the 3rd and our "lackluster effort" got us in trouble. When the game got tight, we quit believing and we failed to manage the game at the most critical points. Zone Offense had no kind of answer and we committed some silly fouls. No real adjustments made down the stretch was the difference.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Chilli Blue wrote:I'm not going to blame officials....We had an opportunity to put the game away at the start of the 3rd and our "lackluster effort" got us in trouble. When the game got tight, we quit believing and we failed to manage the game at the most critical points. Zone Offense had no kind of answer and we committed some silly fouls. No real adjustments made down the stretch was the difference.
exactly...blaming the refs don't cut it...We had the opportunity and Coach Meister made no real adjustments down the stretch to win this game....right Team,wrong Hire....

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I have already watched the replay, and I don't see where there could have been more fouls called on Athens. They played a zone, and when Chilli did penetrate A. Luehrman blocked shots. Chilli gave fouls down the stretch. Athens couldn't have played a more shaky half and still won by 10.

sibibis45
JV Team

Post by sibibis45 »

If Chilli was up double digits at halftime and Athens was in a zone the second half why in the world would Chilli even think about shooting the ball until Athens came out of a zone. 1. you are winning 2. shorten the game 3. make Athens do something they don't want to do play man at the time. I just don't understand why coaches that are up a good margain think their team has to continue to shoot the ball when you can take time off the clock and frustrate the other team.

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

Post by Myra Fleener »

First off, Athens did not play zone the entire 2nd half. When Chilly brought the ball out and Athens was in a zone, they extended their guards to defend the ball. As a matter of fact, Chilly went dribble drive and tried to attack Athens off the bounce for many possessions in the second half. In my opinion, Johnson took WAY too many forced shots early in possessions. While he made a few, he missed many more. The big kid from Athens erased a lot of shots when Chilly got in the paint.

The freshman (#14) from Athens looks like he's in slow motion, but he knows how to get to the rim. Very impressive body for a freshman. #20 made some huge shots in the 2nd half. He was automatic from 15 feet. Athens and MT should be a very interesting game. I don't think either team gets out of the 40's.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens should have had zacciah guard Johnson whole game but did like athens left 2 big guys under the basket at all time. Johnson is too short for the athens bigs. Showed in second half. He never went below the three point line

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

My point almost prooved true. The inexperienced and unexpected Athens team almost lost. They came out cold, slow, and fearful. The way many good teams play when they come to a 10K arena infront of a couple thousand. They got their act together though and out played my Cavs in the second half.

If this team was coached by Kellough 1. We would spplit with Athens 5-5 if not win more than loose and 2. Would have had a better seed than 6. ZJ is arguably the best player in the district and if he had his coach of the last 3 years I think this is yet another district title for the CAvs.

Always next year! Although our talent seems low :(

Go CAVS!

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

Don't get me wrong I don't think Chilli lost because of the diference in fouls called... I honestly thought the LE-MT game was a whole lot worse as far as officiating goes.. One team can bump and block impeding a drive to the bucket..Oh well that's over.. Chilli didn't attack the zone when it counted and that was that. Athens was the better team. If #14 was playing for Chilli instead of Athens and he was attacking the seams of the zone and dishing or kicking out the result may have been reversed...

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

what is kellough doing these days?

Return to “Boys Basketball”