Possession Arrow Ruining the Game?

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Possession Arrow Ruining the Game?

Post by Steel Reserve »

Remember the good old days when we would jump for it after each jump ball and starting each quarter. I wish that rule was never changed!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Possession Arrow Ruining the Game?

Post by danicalifornia »

I'd rather it be like the NBA where the winner of the opening tip gets it to start the 4th and the loser of it gets it to start the 2nd and 3rd and you jump on all held balls.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Varsity boys games the number of held balls is low, however at every other level boys and girls this would make for a LONG game. I know why they changed it, but I still would like to see it back in the game myself.

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

No.. But your name of "Steel Reserve" has ruined this thread and my taste buds! Yuck!

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

Survey I took this year asked about the opening jump ball and if we would like to see it go. Replace it with a coin flip. Can you imagine? Coin Flip!!

It's coming. Usually these surveys are 2-3 years away from what will happen.

Amarranavajas
Freshman Team

Post by Amarranavajas »

baseball16 wrote:Survey I took this year asked about the opening jump ball and if we would like to see it go. Replace it with a coin flip. Can you imagine? Coin Flip!!

I hope you are correct on this. I hate the jump ball. Most officials can't throw the ball straight up anyway.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Possession Arrow ruining the game of basketball...Nah. I think the non use of a shot clock ruins the game of basketball. Hoops should be uptempo and not slowed down if the team has a lead. Bring the shot clock to high school basketball...Please!

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Possession arrow ruining the game - NO
Shot clock in high school basketball - Please NO. How many possessions in a high school basketball game are actually longer than 35 seconds anyway? Team A wants to play a slow paced game they force that upon the other team. If Team B wants an uptempo game it should be up to them to force that on their opponent.
I think a shot clock just takes more strategy out of the game.

Ushoot2Ishoot3
Riding the Bench

Post by Ushoot2Ishoot3 »

Bring back the jump ball. Non jump ball playing gives weaker athletic teams an advantage.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Raiderball wrote:Possession arrow ruining the game - NO
Shot clock in high school basketball - Please NO. How many possessions in a high school basketball game are actually longer than 35 seconds anyway? Team A wants to play a slow paced game they force that upon the other team. If Team B wants an uptempo game it should be up to them to force that on their opponent.
I agree 100%

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No shot clock please - HUGE MISTAKE
Possession Arrow - not a fan, give it to the defense who created the tie up.
I like the jump ball to begin the game - fans really get into it! Rotate possession each period after the opening tip.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Mister B wrote:
Raiderball wrote:Possession arrow ruining the game - NO
I agree 100%
I agree as well. If you don't like a team slowing it down, play some defense and get the ball back!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I agree with Raiderball. A shot clock would eliminate some strategies for teams that me be having a down year and they try slow it down to keep the game close. You would say way more lop sided games if a shot clock comes to high school basketball. As a purist, I say NO SHOT CLOCK.

As far as the possesion arrow. I like the thought of giving it to the defense who tied the ball up. It's like creating a turn over.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Amarranavajas wrote:
baseball16 wrote:Survey I took this year asked about the opening jump ball and if we would like to see it go. Replace it with a coin flip. Can you imagine? Coin Flip!!

I hope you are correct on this. I hate the jump ball. Most officials can't throw the ball straight up anyway.
I think its unfair of you to throw us officials and our athletic ability under the bus that way. Being an older official, I pride myself in being polished at this skill. The only time I waiver is when I am doing a home game for the Cats. Then the ball tends to go up on the side of the home team.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

Out of Bounds wrote:I agree with Raiderball. A shot clock would eliminate some strategies for teams that me be having a down year and they try slow it down to keep the game close. You would say way more lop sided games if a shot clock comes to high school basketball. As a purist, I say NO SHOT CLOCK.

As far as the possesion arrow. I like the thought of giving it to the defense who tied the ball up. It's like creating a turn over.
I am with you and raiderball on this. Let those really bad programs run that four corners offense and try to upset a good team by a score of 6 to 4. Thats is fun to see once in a while. I remember watching Eastern do that to Southern a long time ago and almost pulling it off.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Let's keep the shot clock out of high school basketball please.

Adding it takes so much away from the game, especially strategy for coaches. Otherwise we might as well just run up and down the floor and the first guy to touch it cross half court shoots, sounds about like the NBA to me.

There is one rule change I would be 110% in favor of a change. Loose ball on the floor a player dives gets the ball then slides a foot or so in the act of diving for the ball. Please DO NOT call this a travel, I love seeing kids hustle their butt off for a loose ball, don't punish them for it. I agree with he can't make an attempt to get up with the ball but I think this needs looked at and changes made.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

Let's make it a 24 second shot clock, fast paced games are much more fun to watch!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... imo the possession arrow is FAR from "ruining" the game of high school basketball - although wasn't it "possession arrows that did Custer in at Little Big Horn" but I digress - personally I'm on the side of giving the ball to the defensive team who drew the jump ball with the defensive effort, when I do my napkin stats for games I give the offensive team who lost the ball on a tie up when the possession arrow goes against them a Turnover - a forced or unforced error by the offensive team ... should be a TO every time in my book when the offense is tied up by the defensive team ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... now on the other hand I would hate to see a shot clock at the high school level ... imo a shot clock WOULD ruin high school hoops as we know it ...

RoadMan
Riding the Bench

Post by RoadMan »

SOC Fan, this rule is already as you have stated you would like to have it:
4.44.5 SITUATION B:

A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without ­violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is ­traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

There is one rule change I would be 110% in favor of a change. Loose ball on the floor a player dives gets the ball then slides a foot or so in the act of diving for the ball. Please DO NOT call this a travel, I love seeing kids hustle their butt off for a loose ball, don't punish them for it. I agree with he can't make an attempt to get up with the ball but I think this needs looked at and changes made.

Return to “Boys Basketball”