Warren (23-1) vs Vinton County (19-4) - March 7th - 8:15

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Re: Warren (23-1) vs Vinton County (19-4) - March 7th - 8:15

Post by WarriorBlue »

First I want to congratulate Vinton Co and Coach Combs. A class act all the way. The run the Vikings put on in the 2nd quarter had all the Warrior faithful worried.

To the Warriors and Coach Maddox GREAT GREAT JOB! Fantastic call going zone in the 2nd half. The coaching staff made the nesasary changes and the team excuted the plan to perfection. Everybody stepped up tonight and it was a team effort just like its been all season. Mike Hall's 21 points, 16 in the 2nd half was huge. With Patton in foul trouble Hall gave the Warriors that needed "other" weapon opposite French. For the 2nd game in a row the senior dynamic duo of Adam Lang and Danny Pannell once again were instant action and gave us a chance to turn the heat up on the defensive side of the court. What can I say about Dylan Leffingwell, this kid just provides the backbone of that BIG BAD BLUE DEFENSE! Evan Yabs ran the offense and played like the senior leader he is.
Job well done Warriors!

GO BIG BAD BLUE!

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

First congrats to coach Maddox, coach Duck, coach Coffman and Big Jack you all worked your butts off for this one. I could not be happier for this coaching staff. Great Game Plan!! Duck maybe you should read that Zone book I gave you.

Second to all the Warren players. Great bunch of young men that really worked their Butts off for this District title. Through out the 2nd quarter and you almost carried out the game plan to a T. The 19 turnovers, well sometimes when you play fast that happends. I am sure coach will have you work on that.

Vinton Co., nice team. The kind of team coaches hate to prepare for. Hard nose, hard working players that just keep coming at you and never give up. Congrats to you for making it to the District Finals. Coach Combs, from my seat on the floor right across from me, you had every right to be upset on that foul. It was a foul but not THAT BAD!! Great coaching job again.

Stats from the game
Warren
Field goals 23 out of 48 for 47%
Free Throws 10 out of 12 for 83%
3 pointers 5 out of13 for 38%
Rebounds defensive 27 offensive 7 Total 34
Turnovers 19 not good

Vinton Co.
Field goals 19 out of 60 for 31%
Free Throws 7 out of 9 for 77%
3 pointers 2 out of 19 for 10%
REbounds defensive 12 offensive 7 Total 19
Turnovers 10

Maybe I will post more but it is late.

GO TEAM WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Congratulations to Coach Maddox and the Warriors on your first district title. Its an amazing experience and the Warren faithful should be proud. The Warriors played 3 very good quarters. I'm not sure anyone around here could beat Warren when they're "on" like they were last night. Great defense, great shooting and great hustle. Add that to the speed and size of WHS and they're near unstoppable. Congratulations again.

To the Vikings. Hold your heads high! 19-5, TVC Champions, sectional champions, district runner ups. Nothing to be ashamed of! To the seniors.. congratulations on making it back yo the Convo in your final year and also winning 3 TVC championships in your 4 years. You've done a wonderful job and have been fun to watch! To the "youngsters"the future is bright for you all. Last night there were 2 freshman, a sophomore, junior and senior on the floor during the second quarter run.. you WILL be back! Get ready, work hard and stay focused! To Coach Combs and his staff.. you never cease to amaze me. You get the most out of everyone and are truly a class act on and off the floor. Quite possibly the best thing that's ever happened to Vinton County basketball. Go Vikes!!

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

There were a lot of doubters out there who hadn't seen Warren play as they are capable...but the Warrior faithful know...you eliminate even half the turnovers in the second quarter and this gets uglier much earlier...no disrespect to VC, but this team can overwhelm you before you know it...just great the team got to show everyone in the Convo they can play...so proud of the players and coaches, now hopefully we can play well again against Athens...Warren beat them in their house, now on a neutral court what will happen?

Been B&B
Riding the Bench

Post by Been B&B »

First I am not a Warren fan but I am happy for Coach Maddox.. He had been so-o-o close so many times..it is good to see him break through..the adjustments he made at halftime were outstanding.. Going to a litlle motion action ( for you old timers) and picking across for French and trying to isolate French on the block.. also the zone to stop the penetration that Vinton was getting in the second quarter.. Warren should appreciate the masterful job their coach does and their kids were well-prepared and deserve the dictrict title. GO SE district. Montesoro scored 40 last night for St. Clairsville and they are back in the regionals.. Yes, they still have all the three pont shooters but they are a year older.. Good luck Warren..

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I think that those who saying Warren was "overrated" were being glib, ignorant, or spiteful.

Congratulations to Coach Maddox and his team.

As far as the game, we knew that it would be a hard-fought contest. Although Warren was bigger and stronger, we felt we could win the toughness battle, and for the most part we did. It was our lack of primeter threat (shooting 11%) and losing French in the first quarter (he scored 10 of his 16), and losing Hall in the second half (scoring 16) and going zone in the second half were the difference in the game. We have been hard to guard all season, we can have five guys at any time that can put the ball on the floor and attack the glass, causing match-up nightmares. So the zone call was a great one.

We have been undersized all year and have quality wins against those teams, teams that have competed in the district finals (Zane Trace) and teams that are in the regionals (Athens, South Webster, Piketon).

It is sad that it came to an end. We say goodbye to six wonderful seniors; Jordan Kidd, Bryce Owings, L.B. Remy, Matt Smallwood, Per Smith, and Tyler Walton.

As for next year, the Vikings might have a different style for we won't be so small anymore. We had plenty of youth that gain tremendous amount of experience this season; therefore, the future is bright for the Vikings and I am extremely proud and honored to be a part of it.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

For the Vinton kids this year - to turn ME into a Vikings fan - speaks volume ... I can honestly say I was rooting for them in every game but three (Athens, Athens, last game versus NY) ... :)

Return to “Boys Basketball”