Coaching Change at Alexander?

theuglytruth
Varsity

Re: Coaching Change at Alexander?

Post by theuglytruth »

sportslifelove wrote:
theuglytruth wrote:
greatone wrote:Normally teachers don't make the best coaches. It's normally just extra money for them plus there's the part about being qualified.
I know I am really late on this, but is this a serious post? I'm sure there has been instances where someone coached for the extra money, but considering the time and stress is takes to run a program I really doubt any of these coaches are doing it solely for the money. As far as teachers who coach, Here is a list of a few coaches from the area who have been educators while coaching....

Rob Beucler- Eastern (Final four)
Dave Young- North Adams (Final four over 300 wins)
Pat Hines- Whiteoak (Final Four)
Joe Wills- Lynchburg (Final Four)
Larry Jordan- Southeastern/Western Latham- 433 wins 15 sectionals, 8 districts, 3 regionals, and played in the 1977, 1981 and 1990 state tournament
Rick Van Matre- Greenfield 472 victories ,16 Sectional Championships, eight District Championships, and were Regional Runner-Ups three times

Norm Persin- Chesapeake/Oak Hill (State Championship)
Tom Barrick- Wheelersburg
Mike Kennedy- Ripley
Linda Hatten- Lynchburg girls
Tom Wessner- Whiteoak
Nathan Copas- North Adams

just to name a few coaches who were educators. Not a bad lookin list
If you ask me, teachers make the best coaches.........

I absolutely disagree..... Teachers should never be coaches. Performance in one should never interfere with the other aspect but it almost always does.
This is honestly the most ignorant post I have read since being on SEOP. So your saying everyone on that list let their coaching interfere with their teaching job? I would like for you to say that to Rick Van Matre and Rob Beucler, and if it was possible the late Dave Young and would love to hear the response you get.....I thought surely after I post this list of many hall of fame caliber coaches that were also respected teachers, no one would be ignorant enough to disagree..... but I guess I was wrong. I think Fred G. Sanford hit the nail on the head. Trust me none of those coaches above coached for the measley pay check. I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours sir is laughable.

....................................and that my friends is the UGLY TRUTH!!!!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I can tell you from personal experience, it is very hard being a coach and not being in the school system. I wasn't even a varsity coach. I have coached Jr. High, Freshman, JV and Varsity Asst. And it's very difficult to have another full time job and coach. You have to have a very forgiving job and boss first of all. Second, it's very disappointing to rush from work get to practice and little Johnny isn't there because of he went home sick, or after school suspension etc..and you didn't know. Third, school schedules change sometimes. Practice locations change because of Science Fairs, Board Meetings etc..... and you don't find these things out till you get to the gym. I was lucky enough to have other coaches in the system to give me a call or a heads up on most things. But it just adds to many obsticles and pressures coaches have. I think it's absurd to say educators shouldn't be coaches.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

So any word on this? Have they interviewed anyone?

DICKAUKERMAN
Waterboy

Post by DICKAUKERMAN »

good luck in your search for a new coach. great respect for this school district.

Return to “Boys Basketball”