poll: Warren (24-1) vs Athens (21-4) - March 14th

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Re: poll: Warren (24-1) vs Athens (21-4) - March 14th

Post by Sid Farkus »

rebelionfan99 wrote:
Steel Reserve wrote: Typical Warren fan! Listen, Athens is going to beat you guys by 15+. Mark my words!!
Steel Reserve,
I've seen your post before and it's fans like you that are a disgrace to your school. I'm not saying the warriors are going to win this game but I surely can guarantee it will not be a 15 point game either way. Both teams play great ball and its all about who plays well that night. You seem to be pretty confident about the win. Ill mark your words but if you're so confident maybe you should just tell us all what you're wearing so we can laugh at you when it's not a 15 point game there Dicky-V. You seem to know basketball champ. Warriors already won the first time shooting 1-19 from beyond the arc. We'll see you Thursday!
I don't think this Steel Reserve is even from Athens. From what I've gathered they are from Meigs Co. He/she was on here talking trash about Warren the last two weeks. Warren must have beat their team really bad this year!

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

Warren beat their team bad this year, and beat them really, really, really bad last year. like 99 to 40 if my memory serves me right!! they have lost to Warren for several years in Basketball. this character "IS" from meigs....he/she dogged Warren bad during football season under a different name. i wouldnt pay much attention to the post he claims. i have read them for quite some time and find them funny at times. hahahahahahahaha. Cant wait till Thursday. it will be a couple of good games on tap at the Convo.

mray23
All Conference

Post by mray23 »

Steel Reserve wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:
Steel Reserve wrote:I don't even look for this to be much of a game. Warren is one of the most overrated teams in the area on a yearly basis. They FINALLY won a district and now all of the sudden they think they created the game. Warren fans, be happy you were lucky enough to get to the regionals, but don't expect to win any games there.
This years Warren team IN NOT OVERRATED ... they have size, quickness, can shoot, can handle the ball ... I see NO REAL weakness in the Warriors what-so-ever.
Typical Warren fan! Listen, Athens is going to beat you guys by 15+. Mark my words!!
93, i assume you'll be changing your name to 93Warrior now...right?

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Iggy25 wrote:Ryan Luehrman was out for Athens in the first matchup. Offensively, the twins haven't needed to do a ton, but they are great defenders inside and both have been putting up 5+ blocks throughout the tourney.

In the first game, Athens was 6-20 from deep and 16-26 on FG's. Burrow had 24, Watson had 13. Nobody else scored in double digits for Athens. Jared Elmore had just 2 points. He will need to come up big. Saltzman had 9. Athens had 17 turnovers, Warren had 12. Warren outrebounded Athens, 32-28. Warren was 50 percent from the field but hit only one trey. Hall had 4, French had 22. Patton had 18. Burrow pretty much dominated Hall. Watson is much improved since the first matchup and has absolutely turned it on during the tournament.

Athens controlled most of the game. In fact, Athens had a 10 point lead at one point. Bulldogs had a couple opportunities to win it late.

Here is the "no-call" that was so controversial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHgDpOnciQ

Looked a lot like a charge.
Watching that video, I think no call was the most correct call. If no call wasn't an option I would say it was a foul on the defense for going under the offense.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

mhs95_06 wrote:
Iggy25 wrote:Ryan Luehrman was out for Athens in the first matchup. Offensively, the twins haven't needed to do a ton, but they are great defenders inside and both have been putting up 5+ blocks throughout the tourney.

In the first game, Athens was 6-20 from deep and 16-26 on FG's. Burrow had 24, Watson had 13. Nobody else scored in double digits for Athens. Jared Elmore had just 2 points. He will need to come up big. Saltzman had 9. Athens had 17 turnovers, Warren had 12. Warren outrebounded Athens, 32-28. Warren was 50 percent from the field but hit only one trey. Hall had 4, French had 22. Patton had 18. Burrow pretty much dominated Hall. Watson is much improved since the first matchup and has absolutely turned it on during the tournament.

Athens controlled most of the game. In fact, Athens had a 10 point lead at one point. Bulldogs had a couple opportunities to win it late.

Here is the "no-call" that was so controversial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHgDpOnciQ

Looked a lot like a charge.
Watching that video, I think no call was the most correct call. If no call wasn't an option I would say it was a foul on the defense for going under the offense.

Agreed.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

The controversy was more about the 3 charges called on Athens in the second half that took 6 points off the board and then they are not going to call the one at the end.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Warrior just sounds awfull ... I think I'll keep my user name ..... :)

UPDATED VOTING:

WARREN - 27
ATHENS - 12

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

No doubt this is gonna be a great game. All season both these teams have proved to be 2 of the best teams in the district. It's only fitting that they square off to see who gets to play St Clairsville. A tall order indee.

When you talk about this matchup most want to start with French-Hall-Patton/ Watson-Borrows-Salzman. In my opinion this game will be decided by the role players. That's exacatly where Warren has a big atvantage. Leffingwell, Yabs, Lang and Pannell all seniors, all been thru some heartbreak and all bring something to the table. All four have contributed mightily to this years tourney run. I think these kids ability and senior leadership will allow the Warriors more flexibility if a couple of the "Big Chiefs" do have a less than a stellar game. Leffingwell and Lang both have had a double figure game in the district tourney. Leffingwell will hit the 3ball so Elmore will have to come get him when he does Leffingwell does a nice job of getting to the rim off the bounce. Yabs running the point gives the Warriors a veteran ball handler to keep everything under control. The Bulldogs are gonna go 6 deep but then it comes to scoring not much besides the "Big 3". The last game I know one of the twins was out for the Bulldogs but Hall had a severely sprained ankle. Whichever team can put together 4 quarters of solid basketll has the best chance to win. This time both teams will be running on all cylinders and no doubt a great game.
Too close to pick a winner but my heart will be with

BIG BAD BLUE

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens role players are no scrubs WarriorBlue ... :)

6'4 - Ryan Leuhrman
6'4 - Adam Leuhrman
6'5 - Jared Elmore
6'0 - Sawer Summer

Athens goes 7 deep

* Elmore doesn't have to go anywhere if the Bulldogs stick in the 1-2-2 zone.

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

I get a little irritated about the continued wining about the 'no call' at the end of the first game..how many empty possessions did both have that could avoided it coming down to the last possession? Athens was up 10 and let it slip away...Warren has had it's share of agonizing 1 point losses in the past 3 years, 2 one point losses in the district finals to Logan Elm and Chillicothe and the 2011 regular season loss to Chilli on Raglands 3 ball at the buzzer...so maybe some things even out over the years and Hall said maybe the defender flopped a little bit? So let's focus on this game between 2 very good teams and the best team Thursday night will win, maybe a 1 point win!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I seem to remember an Athens team - that was 18-1 during the regular season - being ousted from the tournament on a last second shot by Mr. Cunningham of Warren ...

The Warrios may have suffered agonizing defeats ... but ATHENS has suffered the same defeats - by the hands of the WARREN WARRIORS ...

'redemption and pay back' are two phrases I love when it comes to the sports world ... :)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Schnellfritz ! pfloyd will be in the house Thursday night , his usual Cheap Seat location - no recognition dinner this week ONLY $4 hot dogs/$3 waters/$3 soft pretzels LOL ... all eyes will be on the Convo floor - 2 excellent basketball teams, talent at every position, SEO D2 Co-coaches of the year court side - what's not to look forward to Thursday night OR Tuesday/Wednesday nights as well :-D

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

So which circle did you check in the poll - at the top of the page, Floyd?

let me guess ...

Athens is the Chieftains old rival.
Athens is in the TVC (and Floyd has never liked us poor little schools in the TVC ... lol)
We all know Maddox is 'your boy'.
Warren is a fellow SEOAL team.

so I'm guessing Floyd has his BLUE sweatshirt - and blue Chuck Taylors all shinned up and ready to go for Thursday.

:)

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:Athens role players are no scrubs WarriorBlue ... :)

6'4 - Ryan Leuhrman
6'4 - Adam Leuhrman
6'5 - Jared Elmore
6'0 - Sawer Summer

Athens goes 7 deep

* Elmore doesn't have to go anywhere if the Bulldogs stick in the 1-2-2 zone.
In no way did I mean to say the Athens role players were bad. I just feel Warren role players are better. Just an opinion. As far as that 1-2-2 you better hope for a repeat of that dreadful 1-17 performance at "The Mac" Odds are the Warriors shoot better this time around. The 7 kids that Warren will play can all shoot the trey. I'm sure the kids from Athens can as well but during their play at "The Convo" haven't seen it. Adam Lang and Dylan Leffingwell both steped up big against Unioto and Vinton Co.
Again I wanna take nothing away from the Bulldogs they are a great team and well deserving of their place in the "Sweet 16"

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Yes, that 2010 Athens loss to Warren in the Sectional had to sting bad...I was there....and there was controversy on that last second shot as to whether it was a walk and whether it left Cunningham's hand before the buzzer....also I recall the Bulldogs were up big in that game as well! No question this game is a toss-up...which team will draw first blood (a lead) and will they be able to hold it? Or will it be a grind it out, within a few points from start to finish??

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good Luck Athens

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

warriorfrosh wrote:Yes, that 2010 Athens loss to Warren in the Sectional had to sting bad
Its all good ... I think Athens took out its frustration on the Warriors football team ...

Athens - 66
Warren - 14

- did I just say that out loud?

:mrgreen:

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Burrow is an athlete...

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Basketball thirty....makes people come watch a ball game that havnt been out in years, makes a guy work when hes really wanting to watch the cream of the crop, makes you spend big money on hotdogs, and really like it. Makes a guy dig into the football bag of I beat yous....he probably could have picked hockey....

Both Athens and Warren have earned their stripes to get here. Athens is probably gonna get back here a few more times with their young talent. I also think Warren will too. That is as long as you have the constant behind these fine teams. The coaching behind these two teams are where its at.

We have district Co-coaches of the year going head to head. Maddox has come out on top the past several meetings. My heart says Warren, my mind says go watch. Its gonna be worth the price of admission.

Sportsfanallnightlong, I had the same feeling you did about Steel Reserve. I cant remember his old user name though. I guess if he were important I might. All I remember is it was written on a pizza box one game.... Oh well, doesnt matter.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

32, 16, 6 wrote:Makes a guy dig into the football bag of I beat yous....he probably could have picked hockey
LOL!

I bet I can find a few BIG BASEBALL wins by Athens over Warren.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Boys Basketball”