Ironton vs previous SEO teams...

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Ironton vs previous SEO teams...

Post by WIFAN-22 »

How does this Ironton team compare to previous SEO powerhouse teams?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ironton vs previous SEO teams...

Post by danicalifornia »

Finish the season and then I think the comparisons can be legit. District Champions can be forgotten.

But there is one big one in my head right now, but I'll hold off for a couple weeks.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

win something first

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

I guess your right, but it seems everyone already has them winning it all. My bad....

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

I got one DII 2008 State Champ in my mind....but you gotta get to and win the BIG one first...

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I don't think would stack up well against some of the old powerhouses

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Tough to top Portsmouth's basketball success in Southeast Ohio. Can be done, but nobody there yet in my opinion.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

I personally would love to see the Wheelersburg 06-07 team square off with this Ironton team.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have seen a lot of outstanding teams in my 40 years of watching basketball in the SE District, but the best team I have seen is the 1988 D2 State Champion Portsmouth Trojans, who went 27-1 playing virtually half of their schedule against D1 competition, and throttled the 1988 D1 state runnerup Columbus Linden McKinley 88-66. The 1988 Trojans were the very first D2 state champion in OHSAA history.

And there are many in Portsmouth to this day who still maintain that the 1961 Big School State Champion Trojans were the best team in PHS history. There were only 2 classes back then, with about 500 schools in each class, compared to 200 in each of the 4 divisions today.

This is a very good Ironton team that may win the state, but I wonder how many think this team is better than the 2005 Ironton team that went 26-0 going into the D3 state championship against North College Hill with OJ Mayo and Bill Walker, nearly pulling off the upset? Dennis Gagai and Brigham Waginger were outstanding players for IHS that year.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Question is too premature to even consider.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

IndianFan4life wrote:How does this Ironton team compare to previous SEO powerhouse teams?
... IndianFan4Life - a great question AND hopefully "we" as SEO hoops fans will have the opportunity to make comparisons at the end of March for it will mean the Ironton Fighting Tigers have in fact 1) won the SE Regional to make the final 4 ... 2) the I'town seniors will have won the D3 State Title ... point number 2 HAS to happen for us to even consider the question and comparisons to the PHS teams , Chilli State Championship team ... South Webster championship squad ... a wait and see time ...

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

We will just hold the thought for a couple more weeks then...... Hopefully we have something to talk about.

Return to “Boys Basketball”