3/16 - Ironton 66 Oak Hill 49 (D3 Regional Championship)

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Re: 3/16 - 7 pm - Ironton vs Oak Hill (D3 Regional Champions

Post by NewEra »

Honestly, if I was Ironton I would be flattered, it's Southern Ohio's topic, how can you defend Ironton? Tremendous challenge as well as being respect for the talent level. Yeah Norm has run some 1-3-1 in the past, but with the struggle NA and Martins Ferry had running it vs. Ironton not sure if I would expect it. Another interesting question is I have like noted above noticed Lafon continueing to attack zones even with a lead. I feel by doing this he is just getting reps for his guys vs zone defenses incase they see a top flight one in the State Tournament. But nonetheless Carter is always fun to watch, especially when he gets hot.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

Really enjoyed watching both of these teams play the other night. Oak Hill is very good at guarding the 3. I think any other team would need to junk it up against Ironton. However, I think Oak Hill can stay close by guarding the three and playing their style (if possible!). Their key will be to contest every shot and keep Tigers off the boards. If they limit possessions maybe Ironton becomes frustrated.

55-46 Ironton

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I am an Ironton fan, so my views are a bit biased. Athletically, I think Ironton is superior to any D-III team in the Southeast District this year. They are a nice combination of size and speed, with at least three starters who have dunked in live action this season. The Tigers possess skill as well as athleticism, as evidenced by their 10 3-pointers against Martins Ferry the other night in an arena whose shooting background can be a challenge for many high schoolers. Last but not least, the Tigers have great big game experience with 7 seniors, including the starting 5, some of whom saw action in a Regional Final as freshmen. I have watched this group of young men mature significantly during their high school years.

Since Ironton's last trip to the Final Four in 2005, it has fielded some very good teams, but none good enough to advance back to Columbus. Instead, the Tiger faithful have watched their southeastern Ohio rivals from Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Wheelersburg, Piketon, Chillicothe, and yes, even Oak Hill, take that magic carpet ride to The Schott. For those of us who have stayed patient these last 8 years, we view this season as "our time" at last. That is why some have coined the motto, "One goal, one mission!" Indeed.

All that said, I think if fate could select one team out of southeastern Ohio this season capable of pulling an upset of the top-seeded Tigers, it would be Oak Hill. The Oaks have a Hall of Fame coach in Norm Persin who will do everything in his power to defeat his former pupil and player, Mark Lafon, on Saturday night. I have no doubt that Oak Hill will have a fabulous gameplan for the Tigers, just as they did for Piketon on Wednesday, when they simply out basketballed and outcoached a very good Redstreak team. It was fun to watch the Oaks execute in the half court on both ends, especially on the offensive side where dribble penetration broke down the Piketon defense like a hot knife through butter. Oak Hill never stopped moving and cutting to the hoop. Plus we all know that Coach Persin and his teams are quite comfortable playing a deliberate pace, which is definitely not what Ironton prefers. There is no doubt in my mind that Coach Persin gets as much, if not more, out of his players' abilities than 99% of his peers.

I do not go into tomorrow's game with any sense of dread, however. This Ironton team needs a good challenge. It has played a challenging schedule to prepare for a game like this. It is talented, confident, and well-coached as well. It controls its own destiny. Ironton may or may not win, because that is what makes sports so great a spectacle. But the Tigers will definitely show up for basketball-thirty, and there will be lots of orange there to root them on. Is it time to leave for Athens yet?

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I agree pembrook burrows III Ironton has worked for this and I think the Wheelersburg game woke this Ironton team up.
They saw it wasn't going to be a cake walk to through the District or regionals.
The schedule Ironton played has paid off big time and it showed when playing a huge team like MF and a quick and disciplined team like NA.
And I am sure this team will not be over looking a well coached and talented team like Oak Hill.
Knowing how to stop this Ironton team is one thing stopping them is another.
There was several times this year when Ironton had to play with out two of their star players this year at the same time and they never missed a beat.
So stopping one or two players won't do it a team will have to stop all 5 players and then have to find a way to score when they manage to stop them.
Go Ironton continue that march to the state.

THE CORDIAL ONE
Waterboy

Post by THE CORDIAL ONE »

I just talked to a buddy who lives in Oak Hill and has a son on the team. He said Oak Hill has praticed the 1-3-1 both days in practice, and no other defense. A couple of posters figured this out already. This was the main defense the Oaks played in 2009 when they were state champs.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Zac Carter is THE catalyst that makes the Ironton engine run as smoothly as it does ... the young man is simply the BEST pg in Southern/Southeast Ohio ... his skill set makes him as close to unstoppable as you can get imo ... he handles the ball as well as anyone, sees the floor, distributes the ball, scores from the perimeter if you give him room to defend his quicks in getting into the lane, if you defend the perimeter shot he gets his shoulder by the defender and he is in the lane or at the rim or dishing to either Fletcher/White/Stephens ... Ironton defensively puts pressure on the oppositions perimeter people for 4 qtrs forcing ball handlers to "need" to give up the dribble/get rid of the ball - bringing to the table the TOs from the Tigers quickness at all positions ... IF the opposition scores the ball - Carter & Co. penalize you by getting back down court/in your face before teams can get back on defense ... 32 minutes of continuous "pressure" defensively and offensively by the Tigers ... I KNOW Coach Persin/ I have admired what he did at Chesapeake/ now for the Oaks - am a fan of the emphasis on TEAM, fundamentals - Coach Persin is a great teacher/coach of the game for sure ...I just don't see OH being able to handle the individual talent of the I'town boys, the pressure, Zac Carter specifically ... playing the Tigers within 10 points - I don't think will happen, Ironton is the best TEAM no matter the division in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...imo 10+ Ironton "W" ...

Oaksince59
Freshman Team

Post by Oaksince59 »

Can't wait to feel the electricity in the Convo Saturday night. Would love to see an offensive strategy that gets Carter in foul trouble and a defensive strategy that gets Fletcher in foul trouble early. Having them sitting early and for significant periods of time might just be the defense the Oaks need to pull off what most would call a David vs Goliath upset.

Coach comes up with the game plan. Players execute the game plan. I think the Oak's coaches and players are both capable and talented enough to get r done. Go Oaks!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Oaksince59 - I almost posted the same thing about Carter/Fletcher and the foul trouble scenario ... the amazing thing about Ironton , with all of the pressure the Fighting Tigers put on a team defensively they DON'T foul ! LOL - vs North Adams 7 fouls for the game, vs Zane Trace 9 fouls for the game, vs Martins Ferry 9 fouls for the game ... you would think that Carter would be susceptible to picking up the charge type of foul when he gets into the lane and up in the air - just doesn't seem to happen LOL ... when Carter gets into the lane he is "looking" to put his body on a defenders body, looks to draw the contact - he's amazing, I thoroughly enjoy watching the young man play the game ... then you add Trey Fletcher ... 6-6 athletic body, handles the ball, looks to get to the rim and take a hit while being fully capable of hitting the three ball the "Fletcher Combo" of inside/outside is just not fair ! LOL ...

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

After reading some of the posts I wonder if some have not seen Ironton play yet. If it were my Indians I guess I would want to think they could win this game too, but this team is just a class ahead of the teams in SEO by quite a large margin. Short of taking out some player knees, it won't matter what game plan Norm comes up with. Just too much to overcome. It really is no disrespect to Oak Hill, their just that good. Good for OH program for making it this far, but Ironton won't get a competitive game til next week at the Schott. But, ill say this they better be ready next week, cuz their wont be no easy games in the Final Four. Good luck to both. Ironton 77-48.....

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

THE CORDIAL ONE wrote:I just talked to a buddy who lives in Oak Hill and has a son on the team. He said Oak Hill has praticed the 1-3-1 both days in practice, and no other defense. A couple of posters figured this out already. This was the main defense the Oaks played in 2009 when they were state champs.
Ironton will kill a 1-3-1. They will go a 4 low with fletcher and white on the blocks shooters in the corner and carter will attack elbows and will b guarded by 3 oaks. Leaving tigers open everywhere. Carter will flat out pick apart a 1-3-1

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

IndianFan4life wrote:After reading some of the posts I wonder if some have not seen Ironton play yet. If it were my Indians I guess I would want to think they could win this game too, but this team is just a class ahead of the teams in SEO by quite a large margin. Short of taking out some player knees, it won't matter what game plan Norm comes up with. Just too much to overcome. It really is no disrespect to Oak Hill, their just that good. Good for OH program for making it this far, but Ironton won't get a competitive game til next week at the Schott. But, ill say this they better be ready next week, cuz their wont be no easy games in the Final Four. Good luck to both. Ironton 77-48.....
This is still the same team that beat Portsmouth by 2 and Wheelersburg by 10, they are capable of having an off night. There is no doubt in my mind that Ironton wins this game but I look for the Oaks to keep this a little more respectable than a 30pt beatdown.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

IndianFan4life wrote:Ironton will do to the Oaks what Piketon wouldn't, or couldn't. They will throw it in to Fletcher, and he will have a huge game. This could be the most lopsided Reg Final in a while. I see another 85-90 point performance for the Tigers...... No one on this Oaks team gonna be able to slow down Carter. Ironton gets to the State Semi after their BIG win on Saturday!
I think Wheelersburg beat the Oaks in a regional final by around 30 or 40 points back when they made the back to back Final 4 appearances. I can see Ironton doing the same unless Norm can find a way to slow the game down and keep it in the 40's or 50's.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm not even going to this game. Say 30 or 40 pt win for ironton. Wish Lawson didn't get hurt. Like to see brown play them

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Tribe - I know teams can have off nights, but this Ironton team looks awfully comfortable since they have arrived at the Convo. I hope it's a good game, but I have doubts. Anyone who has been down there when both of these teams played would have to see the difference between the two. If Carter plays at the Schott like he has at the Convo he will get some D-1 nods.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

Coach Lafon and the Tigers on to the Final Four! The Mentor has shown his coaching abilities but it ends with the Tigers cutting the nets and headed to the Schott to finish this mission. Great season oaks!

Schoolboy
Riding the Bench

Post by Schoolboy »

RAIDER6309 wrote:I'm not even going to this game. Say 30 or 40 pt win for ironton. Wish Lawson didn't get hurt. Like to see brown play them
Wouldn't make a difference if Lawson was playing. Eastern would still be out and it would be Ironton vs Oak Hill.

The Exciting One
Riding the Bench

Post by The Exciting One »

THE CORDIAL ONE wrote:I just talked to a buddy who lives in Oak Hill and has a son on the team. He said Oak Hill has praticed the 1-3-1 both days in practice, and no other defense. A couple of posters figured this out already. This was the main defense the Oaks played in 2009 when they were state champs.
I am hearing the same thing. It will be nothing but a 1-3-1 defense. Norm knows what he is doing. Should be very exciting! Good Luck Oaks!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

great posts , the oaks and the fighting tigers have had amazing seasons. in the end i think the fighting tigers strength of schedule pays big dividends, when the pressure is on. i'm not discounting oak hill for a minute. they are very good and obviously very well coached. but coach lafon has the fighting tigers clicking on all cylinders as well.

go fighting tigers, stay focused 1 game at a time.

Oaksince59
Freshman Team

Post by Oaksince59 »

Ironton is an excellent team. Carter is an athlete and coach on the floor. Knows the game inside and out. Tigers should be the favorite but I am not sold on it being Ironton's game to lose only if they have an off night. The Oaks just might have an all on night and sneak away with a close win. Even if Ironton plays well. Win or lose I think the Oaks will represent well! Might just grab a tiger by the tail and be able to hold on long enough to get the win.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This is the 4th year in a row that the Jackson sectional has produced not only the regional champion, but the 2 teams playing for the regional championship.

2010: Chesapeake 63, Ironton 47
2011: Portsmouth 69, Chesapeake 68
2012: Portsmouth 50, Ironton 40
2013: Ironton vs. Oak Hill (#1 and #2 seeds at Jackson)

Return to “Boys Basketball”