River Valley Coaching Search

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Re: River Valley Coaching Search

Post by Rvbballdude »

Ty Webb wrote:I've heard from some pretty good sources that Jim Slone, who has been an assistant under Norm Persin at Oak Hill for many years, will be the next Head Coach at River Valley. Slone will bring a no non sense approach to the Raiders program. He's also an expert at coaching the 1-3-1 zone defense. If this really happens it will be quite a blow to Norm and the Oaks program but would be great for River Valley. I wonder if Oak Hill's other two assistants, Hale & Hale might follow?
The last admistration really never had a lot of parent problems or nonsense, I really don't know where that comes from? Discipline was good and the head coach worked very hard at his job. The problem at RV is getting kids to work in the offseason, come to workouts, lift weights, in Summer you might have 8 kids showup for open gyms or Summer League then when season starts have a gym full. It's called lack of dedication to themselves and the program or not caring! If we get a new head coach and Jim Slone is a good Basketball man!!! I really think if someone comes in ruling with an iron fist you might have 5 kids on the whole varsity team (The kids just could care less whether they play or not! The parents prob don't care any more that they do.) I have helped and been involved in the program for a few years and I realy think RV needs someone who relates to the kids allows them a little freedom and treats them like adults and expects discipline. I hope they take their time interview several candidates and get the right person. Changing the RV mindset is not going to be easy but the younger kids have good support and are pretty talented, They will be easier to coach.

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Rvbballdude wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I've heard from some pretty good sources that Jim Slone, who has been an assistant under Norm Persin at Oak Hill for many years, will be the next Head Coach at River Valley. Slone will bring a no non sense approach to the Raiders program. He's also an expert at coaching the 1-3-1 zone defense. If this really happens it will be quite a blow to Norm and the Oaks program but would be great for River Valley. I wonder if Oak Hill's other two assistants, Hale & Hale might follow?
The last admistration really never had a lot of parent problems or nonsense, I really don't know where that comes from? Discipline was good and the head coach worked very hard at his job. The problem at RV is getting kids to work in the offseason, come to workouts, lift weights, in Summer you might have 8 kids showup for open gyms or Summer League then when season starts have a gym full. It's called lack of dedication to themselves and the program or not caring! If we get a new head coach and Jim Slone is a good Basketball man!!! I really think if someone comes in ruling with an iron fist you might have 5 kids on the whole varsity team (The kids just could care less whether they play or not! The parents prob don't care any more that they do.) I have helped and been involved in the program for a few years and I realy think RV needs someone who relates to the kids allows them a little freedom and treats them like adults and expects discipline. I hope they take their time interview several candidates and get the right person. Changing the RV mindset is not going to be easy but the younger kids have good support and are pretty talented, They will be easier to coach.

I could have sworn I read on here last year where the administration came and monitored practices because of parents complaining. Surely you are not that naive to act like you don't know. I'm not from River Valley and all I have to do is read on preps and see the nonsense. I would rather have five kids that want to play than twelve that don't. They better get a coach that won't be pushed around if they want to get this mess cleaned up.

Rvbballdude
Varsity

Post by Rvbballdude »

Read the opening thread about the EXPERTS!
Yes there was one incident about loose ball drills it was quickly extinguished, never amounted to nothing. Topics material more than anything. I never said you had to get pushed around,have discipline, absolutely strict discipline but you can give on some things and make them earn extras, being a coach in this day is a lot different than in 1980, when your from a place with an established tradition the coach can be a dictator. RV is different! Winning is fun bottom line. Now a days you have to be a politician to be a coach or you will be gone before you know it!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Boy, been a long time since I've dived into a thread like this, but I'm taking the plunge. So, in other words, it sounds like you are looking for a hybrid of Dr. Phil, Richard Simmons, Bill Clinton, and Mr. Rogers to make it work at RV, since "RV is different!"

Well, good luck with that. Based on your posts throughout this thread, sounds to me like APATHY is a major problem at RV, your kids don't care, your parents don't care, and if you get a coach that does care and puts out some demanding expectations, well, no one will show up to play, 'cause it doesn't suit their needs. Okee Dokee.

Outside looking in, with no dog in this fight that apparently no one will win, this is a no win situation. Wow.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

You are 100% correct Dan with your analysis of the situation.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Steely Dan wrote:Boy, been a long time since I've dived into a thread like this, but I'm taking the plunge. So, in other words, it sounds like you are looking for a hybrid of Dr. Phil, Richard Simmons, Bill Clinton, and Mr. Rogers to make it work at RV, since "RV is different!"

Well, good luck with that. Based on your posts throughout this thread, sounds to me like APATHY is a major problem at RV, your kids don't care, your parents don't care, and if you get a coach that does care and puts out some demanding expectations, well, no one will show up to play, 'cause it doesn't suit their needs. Okee Dokee.

Outside looking in, with no dog in this fight that apparently no one will win, this is a no win situation. Wow.

That's pretty much dead on SteelyDan. Ive given up hope that it will get better ever.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

BlizzardMan wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Boy, been a long time since I've dived into a thread like this, but I'm taking the plunge. So, in other words, it sounds like you are looking for a hybrid of Dr. Phil, Richard Simmons, Bill Clinton, and Mr. Rogers to make it work at RV, since "RV is different!"

That's pretty much dead on SteelyDan. Ive given up hope that it will get better ever.

That is one way to look at it...... The other would be that you certainly have to care about the kids/parents/community before they care about you and that if you hire a person that can at least express some SYMPATHY and can connect with the kids and the community instead of being a Hitler who has no true feelings for the kids you may be able to get things heading the right direction? The first thing you need is participation and the last coach simply didn't care if you played or not, that was the first mistake was having that attitude. "IF" RV is to ever has success(big IF) it will be a process indeed but one that can be accomplished but will require the right person.

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

The candidates are....? Interviews will be...?

galliagrad89
Freshman Team

Post by galliagrad89 »

UKNate wrote:The candidates are....? Interviews will be...?
I believe it hasn't been advertised yet. I bet it doesn't until end of the school year.

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

This may not be the case but I heard that Hill has yet to turn in a written resignation so therefore they cannot do anything about the job until he does. Can someone verify this?

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

Where's Hoopshothead been on this discussion? He was all over the RV threads during season.

seopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by seopsfan »

kidsarewhatmatters wrote:
BlizzardMan wrote:

That is one way to look at it...... The other would be that you certainly have to care about the kids/parents/community before they care about you and that if you hire a person that can at least express some SYMPATHY and can connect with the kids and the community instead of being a Hitler who has no true feelings for the kids you may be able to get things heading the right direction? The first thing you need is participation and the last coach simply didn't care if you played or not, that was the first mistake was having that attitude. "IF" RV is to ever has success(big IF) it will be a process indeed but one that can be accomplished but will require the right person.
SO I guess what the new coach needs to do is to lay down and let the kids and parents run all over them.
Coaches in SEO don't coach for the money. They coach beacuse they love the game and want to teach the kids the game. They have to care about the kids or they wouldn't coach. I can't think of one coach that never cared about their kids.

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

coaches care about kids , just not the parents :)

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

I am listening hoopsfan.......I just don't have the answer....RV is RV......

One thing is for sure.....the person that gets this job will have their hands full.....

Also....it is possible to win at RV....ask anyone that ever played for me.....

In my opinion....hiring outside the county would be a mistake....need someone that wants to build a program not a resume....and yes I will be applying again

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

That explains why you haven't been on here then. Best of luck. Everything I have read on here, this is a difficult situation.

Clark Griswold
Waterboy

Post by Clark Griswold »

You don't have the answer but will be applying again? Best of luck with that..

bevo
Varsity

Post by bevo »

word, they are going to hire a teacher or someone already working for the system i think everyone knew that

hoopsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by hoopsfan »

Clark Griswold wrote:You don't have the answer but will be applying again? Best of luck with that..

I didn't want to point that out.

Prep Expert

Post by Prep Expert »

I'm surprised the experts that run the school system have not offered this job to bevo. If they aren't going to offer him the job they should at least put him in charge of the search committee. With his expertise on all sports he could pick the people at River Valley a winner.

Raiderfan69
Riding the Bench

Post by Raiderfan69 »

Agree ^^^^^, man he has the highest Basketball player/coaching IQ I've ever seen... He should definitely get the job :roll:

Return to “Boys Basketball”