Warren VS New Philadelphia * Regional Final *

bman
SEO

Re: Warren VS New Philadelphia * Regional Final *

Post by bman »

After a couple of heartbreakers over the last few years, nice to see Warren not only win its first district but also its first regional.

Congrats to the Warriors, and good luck at state.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Outstanding!

Warren Local in the Final 4

That should shut up that one hater!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 49
New Philly 47

... on the back of my Warren 2010-11 T-Shirt it reads "It's Basketball Thirty - to the Convo and Beyond !" with Evan Yabs first & only points in today's regional final the Big Bad Blue of Coach Maddox are going "BEYOND" - to C'bus, to the Schott, to the D2 final four, to The Show ... Congratulations to the Warren TEAM, coaches, fans, school community ... so awesome to be present as the Warriors continued to add banners to the decor at the Warrior Dome ... 2012-13 Sectional Champions, 2012-13 SE Ohio District Champions, 2012-13 SE Regional Champions ...

... I KNEW this game was going to be special 1) No Purple Teletubbies in the stands (although there was some type of sumo wrestling looking BIG thing in the Warrior student section - no fear of being confused for a purple hippo) 2) the NP student section was yelling a cheer "nu-phil-a-del-phi-a" WAAAAAAAY too many syllables in that one to catch on 3) the entire Warrior Nation was in the stands 4) Evan French was on the floor - obviously the only one of those 4 items that meant anything was that Evan French was wearing the Blue & White ... after carrying WHS to the regional final Thursday night with the 29 point night/27 in the 4th period & OT French picked up where he left off as the junior knocked down 2 first quarter bombs from somewhere in Meigs county (as 2old pointed out), Reece Patton added his own triple to go with 2 medium range jumpers by Michael Hall to get the Warren offense off to a good start BUT more importantly the Warren D was outstanding in qtrs one and two - great help defense in the paint, everything inside and outside was contested by the Blue and White ... Warren 13 New Philadelphia 8 after one ... quarter two was more of the same - all Warren defensively, keeping the NP offense limited to scoring by the Quaker "BIG" 6-6 Evan Boose (4 pts down low in each of the first two quarters for an 8 pt half to lead NP) ... Warren continued to punish NP from the perimeter ... New Philly threw a 1-3-1 zone at WHS only to have French & Co. shred the zone with 4 more treys in the 2nd - French 3/Dylan Leffingwell 1 - Warren 27 New Philadelphia 14 at the half ... Intermission is a time to regroup for the team on the short end of the score - adjustments ( I'm thinking that Coach Spurgeon for NP convinced his team that they had Warren right where they wanted them - rewind back to Thursday night Warren vs Athens ... WHS 22 AHS 11 with 4+ minutes to go in the 2nd, Athens went on a 35-11 run to take the lead by 11 after 3 qtrs.... fast forward to today 3rd quarter action - NP held Warren to 10 pts while getting 7 pts from Boose on put back buckets, with Marco Columbo adding 9 including a three ball ... NP 17-10 run ... no WHS perimeter scores in the 3rd ... NP took control of their offensive boards (5 of 6 fgs were of the put back variety) ... Warren 37 New Philadelphia 31 after three ... the 4th and final quarter had New Philly coming with the half court pressure turning the Warriors over 11 times in quarters 3 & 4 ... Evan Boose took over inside for NP hitting 12 points in the 4th/17 pts in the 2nd half/ Boose converted on 2 old fashioned 3 point plays in the final 2 minutes ... French was held scoreless in the 4th - needing A scorer - Reese Patton stepped up to hit 6 BIG 4th quarter points to keep the Warrior's heads above water ... a Marco Colombo midrange jumper tied the game at 47-47 ... the Quakers 33-20 run had drawn the Red & Black even with the BBB... Evan Boose/Marco Colombo put NP in position to go to C'bus ... the Warriors had been in close game scenario's in past Convo district appearances losing on last second shots , this time it was even bigger stakes - a chance to win a regional championship, move on to the Big Show - the final four ... Warriors ball with less that 20 secs to play, time out Warriors :10.5 to play ...from the computer keys of a Warren fan warriorfrosh " those last 9 seconds the ball was inbounded on the side by French no one was open then Dylan Leffingwell came to the ball about 12 feet from French...everyone was on the perimeter but no one was open....soooo Leff drove down the left side of the lane (just like he did many times in the Athens game), his left hand attempt carromed off the rim right into the soft hands of Evan Yabs....I was going crazy and thought the ball left his hand ahead of the red light but really wasn't sure....and it was over....I have seen the video of those last 9 seconds and that confirms it (if I could figure out how the copy and paste it I would do it--maybe someone else will)....no matter the refs got that call correct....any way I know you like to get it right....that 9 seconds is now a part of Warrior lore forever" - all of those near misses of years past erased! - the Convo scoreboard said it all : Warriors 49 0:00 Quakers 47 final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - New Philadelphia

Scoring : Evan Boose 27, Marco Colombo 15, Dylan Hagan 5

3 Pointers: 1/10 ... Colombo 1

FTs : 6/11

TOs : 13

... great 3rd/4th quarter run by the Quakers ... 6-6 Evan Boose was a beast on the offensive boards for NP ... was this the same balanced offensive attack that eliminated St. Clairsville in the regional semi final - nope ... 1/10 from downtown, only 3 players dented the scorebook ... Warriors held NP's perimeter people Hagan/Beans/Johnson to 5 points / the trio had 25 vs SC ... the BIGS for NP came to play in the 2nd half - owning the boards/totaling 42 points between Colombo/Boose on the game ... New Philly WILL be back as the Quakers have 0 seniors on the roster ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring : Evan French 21, Reece Patton 15, Michael Hall 6, Dylan Leffingwell 5, Evan Yabs 2 - THE GAME WINNING PUT BACK

3 Pointers: 7/14 ... French 5, Patton 1, Leffingwell 1

FTs : 6/10

TOs : 15 ... 11 TOs in the 2nd half

... Reece Patton didn't get the "game winner" BUT I give the young man the "game ball" as his 10 second half points were HUGE for keeping the Warriors in position to get the "W" at the end of regulation ... the Warrior defense in the first half was some of the best I have seen this season - shutting down NP inside and out the first 16 minutes of action holding the Quakers to 14 first half points ... " ... to the Convo and Beyond !" - ON TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WARREN WARRIORS

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

Good job, Warriors! I knew you could do it. When others doubted you I remained confident in your abilities to reach this level. This is what comes when you combine talented players, good coaching and hard work. Kudos to you, Warren!

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Congratulations Warriors!

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

Congratulations to Warren from Ironton! Win 2 more and bring it home!

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

wow still in a state of shock....but really good shock....

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

warriorfrosh is ANYONE walking on the ground in Warrior Nation? I'm thinking the masses will be floating on air for days in Vincent LOL ... so happy for all of those involved with Warren basketball - a well deserved championship - Congratulations from the Land of the Purple ... I haven't stopped smiling since the buzzer went off and I'm just a Warrior/Coach Maddox & Co fan LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Steel Reserve wrote:Good job, Warriors! I knew you could do it. When others doubted you I remained confident in your abilities to reach this level. This is what comes when you combine talented players, good coaching and hard work. Kudos to you, Warren!
Lol.....good post

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Congrats Warren! SEOAL boys team in the final four,has that ever happpened? Bad news is they face big, bad ST.V,I just remembered Ports.and Chilli did it

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to Warren

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Congrats to Coach Maddox and the Warren Warriors.... Chillicothe will be rooting you guys on...Go SEOAL!!!!!!

86Tiger
JV Team

Post by 86Tiger »

Go Warren from Tiger land!!!!!

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

pfloys you are the best...warrior fans everywhere appreciate that you have gotten excited for our good fortune the past few days in the Regionals...although we know you are "neutral" you always are pulling for our SEO teams and you are just fantastic for high school basketball! I love the napkin stats for this last game but a small correction....actually in those last 9 seconds the ball was inbounded on the side by French no one was open then Dylan Leffingwell came to the ball about 12 feet from French...everyone was on the perimeter but no one was open....soooo Leff drove down the left side of the lane (just like he did many times in the Athens game), his left hand attempt carromed off the rim right into the soft hands of Evan Yabs....I was going crazy and thought the ball left his hand ahead of the red light but really wasn't sure....and it was over....I have seen the video of those last 9 seconds and that confirms it (if I could figure out how the copy and paste it I would do it--maybe someone else will)....no matter the refs got that call correct....any way I know you like to get it right....that 9 seconds is now a part of Warrior lore forever....thanks once again for all you do and God Bless!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... warriorfrosh - you are right I DO want to get it right - I have updated the final seconds after the timeout ... the final 9 seconds of this one are now YOUR words highlighted in Warrior blue - YOUR words as a true Warrior fan - an "I bleed blue & white" fan - tells the story much better than I could ever do it my friend - thank you ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 49
New Philly 47

... on the back of my Warren 2010-11 T-Shirt it reads "It's Basketball Thirty - to the Convo and Beyond !" with Evan Yabs first & only points in today's regional final the Big Bad Blue of Coach Maddox are going "BEYOND" - to C'bus, to the Schott, to the D2 final four, to The Show ... Congratulations to the Warren TEAM, coaches, fans, school community ... so awesome to be present as the Warriors continued to add banners to the decor at the Warrior Dome ... 2012-13 Sectional Champions, 2012-13 SE Ohio District Champions, 2012-13 SE Regional Champions ...

... I KNEW this game was going to be special 1) No Purple Teletubbies in the stands (although there was some type of sumo wrestling looking BIG thing in the Warrior student section - no fear of being confused for a purple hippo) 2) the NP student section was yelling a cheer "nu-phil-a-del-phi-a" WAAAAAAAY too many syllables in that one to catch on 3) the entire Warrior Nation was in the stands 4) Evan French was on the floor - obviously the only one of those 4 items that meant anything was that Evan French was wearing the Blue & White ... after carrying WHS to the regional final Thursday night with the 29 point night/27 in the 4th period & OT French picked up where he left off as the junior knocked down 2 first quarter bombs from somewhere in Meigs county (as 2old pointed out), Reece Patton added his own triple to go with 2 medium range jumpers by Michael Hall to get the Warren offense off to a good start BUT more importantly the Warren D was outstanding in qtrs one and two - great help defense in the paint, everything inside and outside was contested by the Blue and White ... Warren 13 New Philadelphia 8 after one ... quarter two was more of the same - all Warren defensively, keeping the NP offense limited to scoring by the Quaker "BIG" 6-6 Evan Boose (4 pts down low in each of the first two quarters for an 8 pt half to lead NP) ... Warren continued to punish NP from the perimeter ... New Philly threw a 1-3-1 zone at WHS only to have French & Co. shred the zone with 4 more treys in the 2nd - French 3/Dylan Leffingwell 1 - Warren 27 New Philadelphia 14 at the half ... Intermission is a time to regroup for the team on the short end of the score - adjustments ( I'm thinking that Coach Spurgeon for NP convinced his team that they had Warren right where they wanted them - rewind back to Thursday night Warren vs Athens ... WHS 22 AHS 11 with 4+ minutes to go in the 2nd, Athens went on a 35-11 run to take the lead by 11 after 3 qtrs.... fast forward to today 3rd quarter action - NP held Warren to 10 pts while getting 7 pts from Boose on put back buckets, with Marco Columbo adding 9 including a three ball ... NP 17-10 run ... no WHS perimeter scores in the 3rd ... NP took control of their offensive boards (5 of 6 fgs were of the put back variety) ... Warren 37 New Philadelphia 31 after three ... the 4th and final quarter had New Philly coming with the half court pressure turning the Warriors over 11 times in quarters 3 & 4 ... Evan Boose took over inside for NP hitting 12 points in the 4th/17 pts in the 2nd half/ Boose converted on 2 old fashioned 3 point plays in the final 2 minutes ... French was held scoreless in the 4th - needing A scorer - Reese Patton stepped up to hit 6 BIG 4th quarter points to keep the Warrior's heads above water ... a Marco Colombo midrange jumper tied the game at 47-47 ... the Quakers 33-20 run had drawn the Red & Black even with the BBB... Evan Boose/Marco Colombo put NP in position to go to C'bus ... the Warriors had been in close game scenario's in past Convo district appearances losing on last second shots , this time it was even bigger stakes - a chance to win a regional championship, move on to the Big Show - the final four ... Warriors ball with less that 20 secs to play, time out Warriors :10.5 to play ...from the computer keys of a Warren fan warriorfrosh " those last 9 seconds the ball was inbounded on the side by Patton no one was open then Dylan Leffingwell came to the ball about 12 feet from French...everyone was on the perimeter but no one was open....soooo Leff drove down the left side of the lane (just like he did many times in the Athens game), his left hand attempt carromed off the rim right into the soft hands of Evan Yabs....I was going crazy and thought the ball left his hand ahead of the red light but really wasn't sure....and it was over....I have seen the video of those last 9 seconds and that confirms it ....no matter the refs got that call correct...that 9 seconds is now a part of Warrior lore forever" - all of those near misses of years past erased! - the Convo scoreboard said it all : Warriors 49 0:00 Quakers 47 final ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - New Philadelphia

Scoring : Evan Boose 27, Marco Colombo 15, Dylan Hagan 5

3 Pointers: 1/10 ... Colombo 1

FTs : 6/11

TOs : 13

... great 3rd/4th quarter run by the Quakers ... 6-6 Evan Boose was a beast on the offensive boards for NP ... was this the same balanced offensive attack that eliminated St. Clairsville in the regional semi final - nope ... 1/10 from downtown, only 3 players dented the scorebook ... Warriors held NP's perimeter people Hagan/Beans/Johnson to 5 points / the trio had 25 vs SC ... the BIGS for NP came to play in the 2nd half - owning the boards/totaling 42 points between Colombo/Boose on the game ... New Philly WILL be back as the Quakers have 0 seniors on the roster ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring : Evan French 21, Reece Patton 15, Michael Hall 6, Dylan Leffingwell 5, Evan Yabs 2 - THE GAME WINNING PUT BACK

3 Pointers: 7/14 ... French 5, Patton 1, Leffingwell 1

FTs : 6/10

TOs : 15 ... 11 TOs in the 2nd half

... Reece Patton didn't get the "game winner" BUT I give the young man the "game ball" as his 10 second half points were HUGE for keeping the Warriors in position to get the "W" at the end of regulation ... the Warrior defense in the first half was some of the best I have seen this season - shutting down NP inside and out the first 16 minutes of action holding the Quakers to 14 first half points ... " ... to the Convo and Beyond !" - ON TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I give the game ball to French ... for helping Warren build up such a lead - and providing them with all the momentum heading into the locker room at halftime.

His 4th quarter (and overtime) versus Athens ... coupled with the first 2 quarters versus New Philly ... may be the best stretch of basketball I have ever seen from one player at the Convo ...

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

93Bulldog wrote:His 4th quarter (and overtime) versus Athens ... coupled with the first 2 quarters versus New Philly ... may be the best stretch of basketball I have ever seen from one player at the Convo ...
Yeah, I hadn't thought about it until you posted this, but in 4 full quarters from the beginning of the 4th quarter in the semi (+1/2 a quarter of OT) to halfway thru the 3rd quarter in the title game (I believe he had all his points in the game by then - scoring 6 early in the 3rd), he put up 48.

Return to “Boys Basketball”