Unioto 67 Warren 55 final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Unioto 67 Warren 55 final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Unioto 67
Warren 55 a final

… Pfloyd's #1 Unioto vs #2 Warren … District D2 finale … two outstanding TEAMS … two outstanding coaches in Warren's Coach Maddox and Unioto's Coach Hoops … the Shermans lived up to their pre game #1 billing as the most 'complete" TEAM Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line … Size on the inside, speed/skills on the perimeter … scoring in the paint, double digit scoring potential from any one of 7 players … 8 deep … 6-5, 6-5, 6-4 down low … solid defensively … skilled offensively … the Shermans took control right from the tip off as the tip went to a streaking Cole Cottrill 2 points on the drive and one for a 3-0 UHS lead … I don't believe Coach Hoops' boys ever relinquished the lead … Warren tied the Tanks 3-3 … that was as close as the Warriors would get the rest of the way as UHS established their superiority inside with Erique Hosley - the 6-4 post player attacked the rim getting his own &1 , going 4/5 from the line while drawing 2 quick fouls on Warren inside muscle Blake Kidder … Warren was playing catchup from that point on never catching TEAM Unioto … quarter breaks Unioto 14 Warren 7 end of 1 … Unioto 30 Warren 21 intermission … Unioto 47 Warren 40 end of 3 … Unioto 67 Warren 55 a final …

… some key Napkin Stats showed the overall "complete TEAM" domination by the Shermans …

* Unioto BENCH scoring … Unioto 26 Warren 2
* Unioto inside game of Hosley/Adkins/Wheeler scoring 16 points in the first half/ 19 points in the 2nd half … 35 points for the game
* Unioto D held the Warren perimeter players to 5 points for the night
* Unioto turned the Warriors over 18 times vs having only 3 TOs themselves when the Warriors turned up the heat in the 3rd/4th quarters

* Warren BENCH scoring 2 FTs for 2 points on the night
* Warren perimeter scoring 3/23 from the 3 point line for 13% on the game
* Warren defensively could not turnover the UHS guards … UHS 12 TOs for the game/3 in the 2nd half
* Warren was held offensively to 2 players carrying the load Michael Hall 27 points/Blake Kidder 17 … 44 of the 55 points

… Bench, Bigs in the paint on the boards, 4 players in double figures scoring, 8 players scoring , defensively taking away the Warren TEAM offensively = W = District D2 Championship …

Pfloyd official "Unofficial" napkin Stats - Warren …

Scoring … Michael Hall 27 , Blake Kidder 17, Drew Henthorn 5, Aaron Mazurkewicz 2, Collin Welch 2

3 Pointers … 3/23 … Drew Henthorn 1, Michael Hall 1, Blake Kidder 1

FT's … 8/16

TOs … 18

… tough matchup for the Warren Warriors … size does matter inside - lack of size inside put the BBB in the hole to start the game and kept them on the up hill climb throughout the game … the Warriors gave us the outstanding effort we have come to expect and have come to respect Henthorn, Maz, Seth Hall, Michael Hall, Blake Kidder, Luke Drayer, Kyler Dennis gutted it out by just being on the floor tonight … great ball club deserving of the #2 ranking this season … I have many great basketball friends in the Warrior Nation thanks again for including me all season in the Warrior family you have some outstanding kids - I wish those graduating seniors nothing but the best … Mike Hall - outstanding game … 27 points 13 boards … great to hear that you are continuing your hoops career at the next level … thank you for sharing your talents with us cheap seat guys the last 3 years ...

Pfloyd's official "Unofficial" Napkin Stats - Unioto …

Scoring … Alek Adkins 17, Erique Hosley 14, Nick Corcoran 12, Nick Overly 11, Isaac Wheeler 4, Logan Swackhammer 4, Brandon Kennedy 1

3 Pointers … 2/13 … Nick Corcoran 1, Alek Adkins 1

FT's … 19/29

TOs … 12

… in my discussions with fellow cheap seat fans I have defended my choice of Unioto as the #1 team on the Elite 8 list by the fact that UHS HAS BEEN/IS the most "complete TEAM" in the Southeast district - tonight's performance backed me up … Unioto established the inside game - check … negated the TEAM component Warren brings to the court - check … matched up speed/quickness on the perimeter with the Warrior speed/quickness - check … let the offense perform as it has ALL season - balanced/TEAM offense - check … showed that their own bench is as good as any bench Below the Line - check … congratulations to Coach Hoops - one of the class acts in the coaching ranks in SEOhio … SE District D2 Coach of the Year - well deserved honor … pfloyd will be in the stands next week to see where this ride goes ...

mhs95_06
S

Re: Unioto 67 Warren 55 final ...

Post by mhs95_06 »

Once Unioto got up 7 in the 1st qtr, the margin stuck between 2-9 pts all the way thru to Warren cutting it to 2 again for the last time at 47-45 in the 4th, and after that it got past 9 pts late in the game.

The skill advantage Unioto had was most manifest when Warren got the ball in key offensive attack situations relatively close to the basket. Many times the ball was knocked loose and turned over before the Warrior in the key offensive position left the floor, and many times if they did get off the floor the skill of the Unioto defenders in the air also caused them to have to alter what they were going to do, and they missed many shots badly as a result. To me that was the key to the game!

Senior sub Alek Adkins was a tremendous contributor to the Unioto victory tonight.

OUBobcat010
Waterboy

Post by OUBobcat010 »

Very fun game to watch! The style that Unioto plays is all about constant hustle(sometimes gambling) and constant shots. This is a recipe for some hectic and fast paced play. However, tonight they showed their composure as an undefeated team and made the critical plays on both end when they needed too. Adkins played huge and was truly the difference in my opinion. That is a prime example of the type of TEAM that the Sherman's are. Next man up! You want to stop Corcoran? Okay. Hosley? Okay. Overly? Okay..... They keep throwing guys at you that can ruin your night! Hope to keep watching this run go for the Tanks

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

I want to see Unioto play (26-0) John Glenn let's hope it happens

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great atmosphere and crowds last night for the BIG game.

Alek Adkins is a kid that doesn't get a lot of attention or accolades, but just does his job quietly every time out. He has a knack for making big plays and keeping plays alive with his length. Not a lot of kids can handle the role he's been in the last two years, only starting 4 games, but always being ready to play and make an impact. He's a kid who totally understands the team aspect and is a major reason why the Shermans are moving on.

Thanks for the great write up as always pfloyd and I'm glad the Shermans and Warriors were able to put on a fun show last night.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Warren had another outstanding season. Coach Maddox does a great job, year in, year out.

Michael Hall took his game to another level tonight and was a pleasure to watch. Kidder was outstanding as well with his excellent shooting.

I did think that Cole Cottrill's ability to handle to ball and break down a defense was a major factor in Unioto handling a variety of runs from the Warriors. He had the best 4 point game I've seen in a long time, definitely made a greater impact than just in the scoring column. Corcoran had a quiet double-double, Overly knocked down big FTs, Hosley has stepped his game up big time lately. Strange struggled, but he's a gamer and will always give maximum effort and leadership that the team needs. Wheeler and Swackhammer were big cogs off the bench, each with timely baskets...even if Wheeler's shot to end the half was absurd.

I wanna give a shoutout to Austin Houser. The big man tore his ACL in practice on Thursday and will have surgery today. He made unbelievable improvements throughout the season and was vital in the Shermans tightest game of the season at Miami Trace. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery!

ToTheTop56
Waterboy

Post by ToTheTop56 »

congrats to the tanks, very hard fought win you earned and deserve this one. However once a gain in the big game Maddox goes away from what got him here. well the men in blue and white got him here. The stats will show he played the bench, wrong Drayer who played lights out in the semis saw limited time, Welch who has proven when left on the floor can score (Portsmouth) and play some heads up D (Logan vs Meigs) got 7 seconds in the first half and his honor moment at the end of the game. then not to be announced as a Senior.. just the perfect top off for the lack of respect he and others received all year. Dennis who has practiced 1 day gave a great effort, but when your wheel is flat it's hard to move yet he got minutes. mike Hall had a fantastic effort full of heart. Blake Kidder (should be player of the year for sure seol and prob. districts) gets tough guy award. Going on very flat wheel, but toughed it out played well I thought. Henthorn did a great job stopping their shooter, Seth Hall just had his normal go get it game and he did do that. If our coach would learn to stick with what gets him here maybe Warren can get past the districts and on to regional. Overall very proud all the boys. very few gave you a chance to win the league let alone go to District finals. Warrior Nation could not be prouder of our men!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

EasternDspy wrote:I want to see Unioto play (26-0) John Glenn let's hope it happens
Unioto vs Walnut Ridge should be fun to watch. Both run. Walnut Ridge should win by 15 but you never know during the tournament

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Unioto has a terrific team no doubt. My only complaint is; I would like to see the players shake the hand of the opposing teams coach before the game. It comes across as bush league not doing so.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:Unioto has a terrific team no doubt. My only complaint is; I would like to see the players shake the hand of the opposing teams coach before the game. It comes across as bush league not doing so.
bush league? Warren has a kid that flops a lot. That's unsafe

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

whs9 wrote:congrats to the tanks, very hard fought win you earned and deserve this one. However once a gain in the big game Maddox goes away from what got him here. well the men in blue and white got him here. The stats will show he played the bench, wrong Drayer who played lights out in the semis saw limited time, Welch who has proven when left on the floor can score (Portsmouth) and play some heads up D (Logan vs Meigs) got 7 seconds in the first half and his honor moment at the end of the game. then not to be announced as a Senior.. just the perfect top off for the lack of respect he and others received all year. Dennis who has practiced 1 day gave a great effort, but when your wheel is flat it's hard to move yet he got minutes. mike Hall had a fantastic effort full of heart. Blake Kidder (should be player of the year for sure seol and prob. districts) gets tough guy award. Going on very flat wheel, but toughed it out played well I thought. Henthorn did a great job stopping their shooter, Seth Hall just had his normal go get it game and he did do that. If our coach would learn to stick with what gets him here maybe Warren can get past the districts and on to regional. Overall very proud all the boys. very few gave you a chance to win the league let alone go to District finals. Warrior Nation could not be prouder of our men!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coach Maddox has led the Warriors to the state tournament and a number of district championship games. If you don't want him, I'm sure a lot of schools would love to have him. Very good program.

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

I second (2nd) that!!!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote:Unioto has a terrific team no doubt. My only complaint is; I would like to see the players shake the hand of the opposing teams coach before the game. It comes across as bush league not doing so.
I think it comes off as fake 80% of the time that players do that. Usually it looks like they are doing it because it is expected, not because it's out of respect like it's meant to.

I understand why people like to see it, I just personally hate it lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bman wrote:
whs9 wrote:congrats to the tanks, very hard fought win you earned and deserve this one. However once a gain in the big game Maddox goes away from what got him here. well the men in blue and white got him here. The stats will show he played the bench, wrong Drayer who played lights out in the semis saw limited time, Welch who has proven when left on the floor can score (Portsmouth) and play some heads up D (Logan vs Meigs) got 7 seconds in the first half and his honor moment at the end of the game. then not to be announced as a Senior.. just the perfect top off for the lack of respect he and others received all year. Dennis who has practiced 1 day gave a great effort, but when your wheel is flat it's hard to move yet he got minutes. mike Hall had a fantastic effort full of heart. Blake Kidder (should be player of the year for sure seol and prob. districts) gets tough guy award. Going on very flat wheel, but toughed it out played well I thought. Henthorn did a great job stopping their shooter, Seth Hall just had his normal go get it game and he did do that. If our coach would learn to stick with what gets him here maybe Warren can get past the districts and on to regional. Overall very proud all the boys. very few gave you a chance to win the league let alone go to District finals. Warrior Nation could not be prouder of our men!!!!!!!!!!!!
Coach Maddox has led the Warriors to the state tournament and a number of district championship games. If you don't want him, I'm sure a lot of schools would love to have him. Very good program.
Agreed. One of the more irrational posts I've seen on here in a while and that's saying a lot. The Warriors overachieved all season.

ToTheTop56
Waterboy

Post by ToTheTop56 »

Overachievers?????? Without Mike Hall, 35-0 in jr high, With out Mike Hall sophomore year, 21-0, then you add a talent like Mike and Arron Maz , Henthorn, Seth Hall, kyler Dennis, Kidder, then Drayer, Cochran,Welch, Mollohan. Awesome group of men/athletes. Really? Overachievers.

ToTheTop56
Waterboy

Post by ToTheTop56 »

Overachievers?????? Without Mike Hall, 35-0 in jr high, With out Mike Hall sophomore year, 21-0, then you add a talent like Mike and Arron Maz , Henthorn, Seth Hall, kyler Dennis, Kidder, then Drayer, Cochran,Welch, Mollohan. Awesome group of men/athletes. Really? Overachievers.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Warren just ran into a bigger, faster, and deeper team. I was surprised Unioto didn't pull away and win by 20 so I think Maddox did a good coaching job

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

whs9 wrote:Overachievers?????? Without Mike Hall, 35-0 in jr high, With out Mike Hall sophomore year, 21-0, then you add a talent like Mike and Arron Maz , Henthorn, Seth Hall, kyler Dennis, Kidder, then Drayer, Cochran,Welch, Mollohan. Awesome group of men/athletes. Really? Overachievers.
Was Hall not there in Junior High? And if not, where did he come in from?

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

unioto would have won by 20+ if the officiating wasn't so poor. It's amazing you get to this level in tournament play and the officiating is this bad. My 81 yr old dad even commented that this was one of the poorest officiated games he's seen in 30 years. Kudos to the unioto coaches and players for keeping their composure
Last edited by Bronc21 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

D4hero wrote:Was Hall not there in Junior High? And if not, where did he come in from?
He's from Belpre. He and Patton played well at state so idk why that person said they were good without him sophomore year

Return to “Boys Basketball”