#7 West Union vs. #2 Portsmouth Saturday 2/28 6:00 pm

Bear42
Freshman Team

#7 West Union vs. #2 Portsmouth Saturday 2/28 6:00 pm

Post by Bear42 »

Thoughts?

West Union has some size and decent shooters. I don't believe they can hang with the athleticism of Portsmouth though. I will take the Trojans by 12.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: #7 West Union vs. #2 Portsmouth Saturday 2/28 6:00 pm

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Trojans don't have a true big, hope they can run the floor and the ball flows threw the basket, if they are shooting well, think they can move on

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

West Union is just good enough to pose a threat to the upper seed teams if they are on their game. No first or second team all-district players on this dragon roster but they have a large senior class that have played together all the way up and a decent amount of size in comparison to some other local teams. Portsmouth should advance but West Union has the potential to make it interesting.

Jayhawks
Freshman Team

Post by Jayhawks »

If West Union can pound the ball inside, they could give the Trojans a good game. Hinkle will have to have a big game on the glass. I still think the Trojans will prevail but that is why they tip it up!

gotgame?
Riding the Bench

Post by gotgame? »

To much tradition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trojan in double digits.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

hoops76 wrote:To much tradition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trojan in double digits.
I agree with Trojans by double digits but what does this even mean?? lol
If this is the case why do the Celtics and Lakers stink?

.........................and that my friend is the ugly truth!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

hoops76 wrote:To much tradition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trojan in double digits.
Is this an alumni game?

Portsmouth wins, but it will be tight, IMO. West Union's size will give the Trojans trouble.

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

If Portsmouth beat The Peake with their size i dont think WU should give them any trouble.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I don't pick Portsmouth to win on a game by game basis (to keep from being a homer), but I will say that size hasn't really bothered the Trojans on defense this year. Our kids have faced Kevin Fisher, 6-8 from Logan, Michael Hall, 6-7 from Warren, Meadows, 6-6 from Chesapeake, and also the 6-8 kid on the Peake. PHS also faced a very athletic Dylan Malone, 6-4 from Ironton, 6-6 Van Hoose on Fairland, and 6-8 Austin Pleasants of Coal Grove. Meadows from Chesapeake had the best game vs. PHS this year, with 25 points and 21 rebounds in the first game (CHS won 68-53) between the 2 schools. In the 2nd game, he was held to 8 points and fouled out (Trojans won 61-49). In no other game did one of above mentioned bigs dominate Portsmouth.

What's exciting for Trojan fans the last couple of weeks is the return to prime form of Sky Oliver. Sky had been nursing a nagging knee injury since the Wheelersburg game in late December, but lately has shown no effects whatsoever of the problem and has shown the full package of skills that he possesses. In addition junior Ethan Leonard has started the last 7-8 games, and has played well in all of them, and in turn PHS is a better team than they were in December and early January.

Defensively, I will put 6-3 senior Alex Dickerson up against post player in the SE district. He has been outsized all year and has more than held his own in the paint and on the glass. He just might lead the entire SE district in blocked shots, and he does it the majority of the time without fouling.

Portsmouth will be playing for a SE district record 62nd sectional title on Saturday.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

thebull wrote:If Portsmouth beat The Peake with their size i dont think WU should give them any trouble.
Agreed

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

I agree with tribemaniac and danicalifornia I think west union will take down the Trojans in round one

buckeye_monester
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye_monester »

I agree with Tribe, West Union is just good enough to make things interesting. Sininger good shooter, Hinkle very good on boards, Price good ball handler with a nice floater on offensive end. West Union has lost a few games in the last 5 minutes game, they have trouble closing, foul shooting has been brutal at times. I would be tempted to take them in a upset but foul shots generally win basketball games, Portsmouth by 8.

sballchck
Freshman Team

Post by sballchck »

Rooting for the OVC in this one.

The physical play the Trojans saw in the OVC this season has prepared them well for any bigs they will see in The Tournament.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

West Union needs to limit the Trojans to one shot, and control tempo to be in this game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

baitbuster wrote:I agree with tribemaniac and danicalifornia I think west union will take down the Trojans in round one
Lol definitely didn't say that.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

Everyone talking about the bigs, but the difference in this game is the guard play. Portsmouth takes that aspect of the game 100%. If West Union can handle the press and the ball, then the bigs might be a difference. I don't see that happening against Portsmouth's guards.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

What a long, strange trip of a season it's been for the Trojans. A team I thought going into the season that was almost a lock to go undefeated into tournament play. But, there was one major flaw in my thinking. I completely ruled out the rest of the OVC teams. :/

Every silver linings got a touch of grey. The Trojans win this matchup 77-49.

Truckin.....up to the convo. Where the Trojans belong.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FalconFan wrote:What a long, strange trip of a season it's been for the Trojans. A team I thought going into the season that was almost a lock to go undefeated into tournament play. But, there was one major flaw in my thinking. I completely ruled out the rest of the OVC teams. :/

Every silver linings got a touch of grey. The Trojans win this matchup 77-49.

Truckin.....up to the convo. Where the Trojans belong.

actualy the Trojans did pretty good against the ovc team only loseing 2 games in that league I think"? one to Chesapeake and one to Ironton...other losses was to Chillicothe,warren,twice and logan once all schools larger then them.

but their main focus now is west union , as we all know tournament basketball is very dangerouse who ever you play because a loss ends your season, we was at wavery on Wednesday and seen two upsets so everyone needs to come to play!

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

When was the last time West Union won a sectional title?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

BillyHoyle42 wrote:When was the last time West Union won a sectional title?
Maybe 06? 07? The year they had Bennington, Cox, and Fossyl.

Return to “Boys Basketball”