Warren 66 Logan 55 … final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 66 Logan 55 … final

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 55
Warren 66 … final

… Warren started it's expected extended stay this week at Jim's Gym in Logan with a "W" vs my Purple tonight … I would have to characterize this one as "sloppy" (the teams combined for 39 turnovers)- not the great game I had hoped to see … poorly officiated (one Logan fan removed from the gym)… more in the vain of a football encounter as both quarterbacks (Mazurkiewicz for Warren/Little for Logan) were 'sacked hard" and a little wobbly after some hard hits … neither team got into a flow offensively - turnovers playing a big part in keeping both teams out of sync imo … the Warriors jumped out an early 12-2 lead and never looked back … Logan finished the 1st quarter on a 12-3 run that drew the Chiefs within 3 but that was as close as Logan would get on the night … Warren 17 Logan 14 after 1 … both teams combined for double digit TOs in the 2nd ( Logan 6/Warren 5) but Blake Kidder put on a show offensively tallying 11 points in the quarter … Warren 32 Logan 24 at the half … in the 3rd quarter Warren did what we have become used to seeing - the Warriors turned up the Defensive pressure forcing 6 more Chieftain TOs - turning 4 into transition baskets … 5 separate WHS players dented the scorebook (18 pts) in the quarter while defensively holding Logan to 9 points … first to 50 usually wins I have found … Warren 50 Logan 33 end of 3 … Logan won the 4th quarter outscoring Warren 22-16 but it wasn't nearly enough to put that first loss on Warren in Jim's Gym … Warren 66 Logan 55 a final …

… Pfloyd's Official "Unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren …

Scoring … Blake Kidder 17, Michael Hall 14, Kyler Dennis 12, Drew Henthorn 10, Seth Hall 9, Aaron Mazurkiewicz 4

3 Pointers … 6/12 … Kyler Dennis 2, Drew Henthorn 2, Blake Kidder 1, Seth Hall 1

FT's … 10/15

TOs … 20

… Warren didn't appear to be as focused in this one as I've seen - could be the long week of no school , getting out of the routine … the 20 turnovers were a big surprise ,one that kept Logan closer than it needed to be … the Warriors effectively took the ball out of Lane Little hands most of the game while keeping 6-8 Kevin Fisher out of the paint and away from the basket - negating any size advantage Logan hand in the paint … Warren played 9 … 4 players in double figures for the night … escaping Logan with no one injured (as difficult as that seemed as you watched the game) … Game 2 for Warren in Jim's Gym will be Wednesday night vs the winner of Meigs/New Lexington …

… Pfloyd's Official "Unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan …

Scoring … Cole Baron 12, Chance Cox 11, Kevin Fisher 11, Isaiah Smith 10, Lane Little 9, Kory Henthorne 2

3 Pointers … 6/18 … Cole Baron 2, Isaiah Smith 2, Lane Little 1, Chance Cox 1

FT's … 5/7 … the Purple needed to put up 20+ FTs to get the W

TOs … 19

… Logan was missing an inside game ALL game … Fisher/Henthorne were non factors with Fisher being held to 4 fgs on the game … Logan went to the line for only 7 FT attempts /Logan needed to pound the ball down low/ get to the line and have shot 20+ FTs to make this one close - didn't happen … without Fisher's inside game Warren kept pressure on the perimeter turning the Chiefs over 19 times in the game … I have preached this all season to the folks in the Cheap Seats Isaiah Smith can be a big time scorer ! - at 6-3 he can get his shot off vs most defenders AND he has the best perimeter shot on the team … he has a good size body to get inside … I'm excited about the nucleus of Cole Baron/Lane Little/Isaiah Smith/Kory Henthorne returning next year for the Purple …

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: Warren 66 Logan 55 … final

Post by C-Bolt »

Heard Fisher and his dad were having words with Maddox at the end and his dad got the boot.They said a couple others got tossed out earlier.Must have been an ugly night at the reservation.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I didn't see anything between Coach Maddox and anyone … only one Logan spectator was tossed …

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

pfloyd wrote:I didn't see anything between Coach Maddox and anyone … only one Logan spectator was tossed …
It happened immediately after the tall player fouled out. I don't know who the kid's dad is, but a Logan fan did approach Maddox before play resumed after the foul.

Side note - I didn't pay much attention to the Senior Night festivities, but is #1 returning for Logan next year or graduating? He was fun to watch tonight and quite sportsmanlike the entire game.

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

C-Bolt wrote:Heard Fisher and his dad were having words with Maddox at the end and his dad got the boot.They said a couple others got tossed out earlier.Must have been an ugly night at the reservation.
They were doing all the talking Coach Maddox showed class and character just like his team does. The Warriors DO play a physical intense brand of basketball but you will NEVER see a "Cheap Shot" or a Warren player mouthing a ref. If a Warren player did some of the actions I saw a Logan player do this year, I'm quite sure they'd NEVER finished the game. Coach Maddox runs an excellent program. We're lucky to have him.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I like Maddox,I used to play pick up with him and hooter back in the day, you could see the coaching instincts back then just playing with him.Good luck to the Warriors the rest of the way

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

WarriorBlue wrote:
C-Bolt wrote:Heard Fisher and his dad were having words with Maddox at the end and his dad got the boot.They said a couple others got tossed out earlier.Must have been an ugly night at the reservation.
They were doing all the talking Coach Maddox showed class and character just like his team does. The Warriors DO play a physical intense brand of basketball but you will NEVER see a "Cheap Shot" or a Warren player mouthing a ref. If a Warren player did some of the actions I saw a Logan player do this year, I'm quite sure they'd NEVER finished the game. Coach Maddox runs an excellent program. We're lucky to have him.
I have never had a problem with Coach Maddox, what he does with the Warren program, year after year, always winning is simply incredible. But when Fischer did foul out, Coach Maddox obviously didn't like the foul and started yelling at him, no clue what he said, but was obviously not professional to yell at another team's player. The fan that approached the bench was his dad, and no he was not tossed. The foul was unnecessary, but Blaine should not have said anything to him. I'm sure it was just in the heat of the moment in the rivalry.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Chieftain2009 wrote: I have never had a problem with Coach Maddox, what he does with the Warren program, year after year, always winning is simply incredible. But when Fischer did foul out, Coach Maddox obviously didn't like the foul and started yelling at him, no clue what he said, but was obviously not professional to yell at another team's player. The fan that approached the bench was his dad, and no he was not tossed. The foul was unnecessary, but Blaine should not have said anything to him. I'm sure it was just in the heat of the moment in the rivalry.
"Started yelling at him" is a very poor spin. It was obvious to everyone that a cheap foul was coming soon just prior to the call. Warren's coach didn't leave his position when the final foul occurred and said pretty simply, "What was that?" I can't say for sure that it was or wasn't a direct question to the Logan player, to the officials, or just in general out loud. It wouldn't be the first time that the player in question interjected himself in a conversation between Warren's coach and the officials, if that were in fact the case. At that point, the Logan player walked a straight line directly to the Warren coach, at which point the coach asked, "What are you doing?" May have been in regards to the foul, may have been in regards to being approached. I didn't notice any other words said by the coach. I'm sure people can compare histories and draw conclusions as to who was out of line.

ddp
Riding the Bench

Post by ddp »

WOW. logan has seemed to have these problems all year is this the same kid that kicked a player in the face in the last meeting with warren? seems like their players and coaches have been getting technical fouls all year one player has had a few why does he get away with it coach should have addressed this problem early in season and it would not be a problem now. and the kids dad that went to coach Maddox? NOT A SURPRISE!!

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

enigmaax wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote: I have never had a problem with Coach Maddox, what he does with the Warren program, year after year, always winning is simply incredible. But when Fischer did foul out, Coach Maddox obviously didn't like the foul and started yelling at him, no clue what he said, but was obviously not professional to yell at another team's player. The fan that approached the bench was his dad, and no he was not tossed. The foul was unnecessary, but Blaine should not have said anything to him. I'm sure it was just in the heat of the moment in the rivalry.
"Started yelling at him" is a very poor spin. It was obvious to everyone that a cheap foul was coming soon just prior to the call. Warren's coach didn't leave his position when the final foul occurred and said pretty simply, "What was that?" I can't say for sure that it was or wasn't a direct question to the Logan player, to the officials, or just in general out loud. It wouldn't be the first time that the player in question interjected himself in a conversation between Warren's coach and the officials, if that were in fact the case. At that point, the Logan player walked a straight line directly to the Warren coach, at which point the coach asked, "What are you doing?" May have been in regards to the foul, may have been in regards to being approached. I didn't notice any other words said by the coach. I'm sure people can compare histories and draw conclusions as to who was out of line.
How do you know what was said and who he was talking to? It was pretty loud in that gym and Warren's fans were sitting all the way on the other side of the gym. I on the other hand was sitting right behind Warren's bench. Saying anything like that, regardless of what he said, is something you just absolutely don't do as another team's coach. I agree the foul was not necessary, but it was in no way a dirty play.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Chieftain2009 wrote:
How do you know what was said and who he was talking to? It was pretty loud in that gym and Warren's fans were sitting all the way on the other side of the gym. I on the other hand was sitting right behind Warren's bench. Saying anything like that, regardless of what he said, is something you just absolutely don't do as another team's coach. I agree the foul was not necessary, but it was in no way a dirty play.
I stand by what I saw/heard. I already said I can't speak to intent. My feeling is that Warren's coach did nothing out of line from what I witnessed. You may take issue with saying anything, but when you said he was on the floor yelling, I felt it important to describe what actually happened. The Logan player approached the coach, not the other way around. Again, not the first time.

The foul wasn't "hard", but you know as well as I do that the Logan Player was going after a specific Warren player. He kicked him in the face last game. He threw several shoulder blocks at him last night. And it ended with a knee. It was "dirty" in that EVERYONE knew he was looking to foul the one kid. Failing to make it worth it or to cause any real damage doesn't change the clear agenda. Would you honestly try to argue that there was no pattern of behavior that allows a reasonable conclusion of intent to be drawn?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… I'm not sure about anyone else but I was sitting in the Cheap Seats … I saw the "hard foul" giving the Logan player his 5th for the game … when I saw the foul MY first words to Mrs pfloyd was "What was THAT about ?!!!" … and I am willing to bet that to a person in the gym last night THOSE words were "voiced" so I would not be surprised if something similar came from Coach Maddox just as a "normal" response to the foul on the floor …

… imo - the way the game was officiated on the floor opened the door for some of the hard fouls to happen … as a fan you want the officials to "let them play" vs calling every ticky tack foul BUT lots of physical no calls led to the frustration/and hard contact at the end of the game ...

… just my observation from the Cheap Seats … I'm just thankful that none of the players for either side were not seriously injured due to the "fouls" on both sides … both PGs - Aaron Mazurkiewicz for Warren and PG Lane Little for Logan took major "contact" after being up in the air, both falling awkwardly, full body contact with the floor … both of these kids are major role players for their respective teams … success in the post season depends on their being on the floor for their respective teams … Best of Luck to both teams in the post season ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”