Will any Pink Floyd's projections make it to The Shott ??

gotgame?
Riding the Bench

Will any Pink Floyd's projections make it to The Shott ??

Post by gotgame? »

Let's hear it !!!!!!!!!!!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Will any Pink Floyd's projections make it to The Shott ?

Post by bbjunky81 »

Anyone from Southeast Ohio make it to Schott? I actually don't think it's very likely this year.

Peebles and Paint Valley are two very good D4 teams, problem is they're going to run into Africentric/Harvest Prep in the Regionals. Not impossible to win, just not likely.

D2 has some solid teams but not as solid as some of the D2 teams that made State in the past. If Watson was still at Athens I may predict them, but not without him.

D3 I actually think has the best chance. Chesapeake has the size and discipline to make it. Portsmouth is talented but haven't quite had the season I imagined.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I can speak for Portsmouth having watched every game.........the Trojans are talented, but inconsistent simply because they are a jump shooting team without a true post game on offense. Defensively, they can cause problems for anyone they play, yet again have been inconsistent on that side of the floor.

I have been to the state tournament 25 of the last 26 years, and I can say that Portsmouth's starting 5 is as good as at least 1 or 2 of the D3 teams most years. For the Trojans to make the state, which is always the goal at PHS, consistency is the key. It's tough for a jump shooting team to put together 5 good games in a row, so I think it's imperative that PHS create more turnovers on defense. I don't think the lack of size hurts the Trojans on defense as much as it does on offense. They have to find seams in zones (virtually everybody zones the Trojans) and score some baskets in the paint. They can't rely solely on jump shooting to advance far into the tournament. Most likely they will have to get some good minutes off the bench, although I don't look for any major contributions there.

Portsmouth is 15-5, with 3 of the losses to D2 or D1 schools.......2 of those losses being losing 15 point leads to Warren and Logan.......the Trojans were good enough to get those leads, but inconsistent enough to lose them. Chesapeake outplayed the Trojans at Chesapeake, but the Trojans outplayed the Panthers at Portsmouth.

The Trojans have a coach that has 2 Final 4's on his resume, and a roster that has a lot of experience back from last year. It's certainly possible for PHS to make the state, but they have to be more consistent on both ends of the floor to do so.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I've been watching SE basketball for almost 40 years, I can truly say anything can happen tournament time. I'm not sure if the talent level to compete is there this year, but talent doesn't always win championships.
DI...I would love to see my Chillicothe Cavaliers make a run, however we will be lucky to get out of the always tough Sectional.
DII...Unioto is having a magical season, but the SVC is down and strength of schedule may hurt the Shermans the deeper they go in the tournament. In the District they would have to beat Minford, Warren or Athens and lurking around the Regionals is probably the best New Concord John Glenn 17-0 team I've seen since Jay Burson or another 17-0 Whitehall Yearling who I haven't seen. Time will tell...I like to see one of the SE teams make it to the Final 4.
DIII...Portsmouth seem to always have a chance, they just know how to turn it on tournament time. They have struggled against zones, but appear to be back on track. With only 5 loses (1 to my Cavs...just saying) and such a tough schedule, makes them the favorite in my mind to get past the District; but not so fast! Chesapeake who split with the Trojans could be a problem and maybe even Ironton the rival who also split with the Trojans. Nevertheless a tall task awaits in the Regionals as Columbus Grandview Heights is enjoying their best season since coach Lisath's Piketon squad beat them in the Regional Finals in '09. I'm not sure about the Belmont District, but certainly Fort Frye 17-2 and St. Clairsville are the unknowns that appear to be having good years.
DIV....Peebles would be my pick to make it to the Regionals, but as always the team that comes out of Columbus District always give the SE DIV teams fits. Both Harvest Prep and Africentric are down this year, so cross your fingers this might be the year Peebles creeps in!

Good Luck to all SE teams I only attend state tournaments when we are represented....

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Out of Belmont sectional there is Union Local who is ranked or was and has 2 6-7 monsters one of whom is going to West Virginia Colton Mckivitz???

SVCFan
Waterboy

Post by SVCFan »

The SVC is 39-20 in the non-conference. Hardly qualifies as a down year.

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Chilli Blue wrote: DIV....Peebles would be my pick to make it to the Regionals, but as always the team that comes out of Columbus District always give the SE DIV teams fits. Both Harvest Prep and Africentric are down this year, so cross your fingers this might be the year Peebles creeps in!

Good Luck to all SE teams I only attend state tournaments when we are represented....
Harvest Prep has given an 18-1 D2 Whitehall-Yearling its only loss. HP plays in a pretty decent to somewhat good league also for hoops, lots of athleticism and shooting. I'm not sure how they're down this year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

In D3, I would take our representive over Grandview Heights right now. The East team would be the bear in the Regional this season.

I'll still take Portsmouth as my pick for the SE District rep at the Schott, but Chesapeake wouldn't be a shock to me either.

This is the best the SVC has been since Piketon made their run to the Schott.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

The SVC is far from down this year. They are a very deep and good conference.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

D3 has a good shot but D2 and D4 will be tough. Harvest Prep and Walnut Ridge are very good. Walnut Ridge has three loses, Gahanna Lincoln by 2, Huntington Prep, and Dayton Dunbar

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

D4: Harvest Prep is really good this year! 15-4, I seen them early this year...fast and quick as usual. Africentric is 14-5 and to my understanding is pretty good as well.
D3: Union Local is 17-2 and a sleeper coming from the East, big with decent guards and shooters. Grandview Hts. is really not that good I'm told very overrated. Portsmouth is Portsmouth...if they get on a roll they will be a tough out, but I must admit they're beatable due to size and outside shooting.
D2: I think the Shermans can get there but in my opinion it will be a tough road, I'm not to sure about the SVC being down, there just no other team worthy of this discussion. How many District Champions has the SVC produced in the last ten years anyway?
D1: no discussion

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

I've seen a lot of the better teams in the state this year in several divisions, some observations:

DIV: Harvest prep is better than last years final four team, IMO they are the favorite to win the state title unless Africentric knocks them off in the regional. They are better than Tri-Village, IMO having watched both teams this year.

DIII: Haven't seen the SE district division four squads but Union Local has the whole team back from last year that went 22-0, terrific guard play/shooting and two big bodies in the post. You also have a very disciplined Fort team, a streaky St. Clairsville team, a Monroe team that can shoot the rock with anyone and the team I think will ultimately come from over that way, Garaway. They are battle tested and experienced.

D2: John Glenn and Warren are my favorites, haven't seen Unioto but Warren has gotten better all year and there will be nobody with better guard play or shooting than John Glenn. They are really, really good but don't have much size.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

With a little bit of luck, it could happen. You never know.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

about six teams have a chance. Just might depend on WHAT teams they play on the way there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”