Western (7-8) vs East (9-3) 1/23

scotisaac
Waterboy

Western (7-8) vs East (9-3) 1/23

Post by scotisaac »

Big game in the SOC 1 Friday night, East beat Western in the first game after a big 4th quarter run. Now the Tartans bring it to LA.
Thoughts and opinions on the homecoming game?

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Re: Western (7-8) vs East (9-3) 1/23

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Should be a Great game, East has 2 transfers that are eligible that didn't play the first game, ones a soph Foward from West and the other is a senior Guard from Portsmouth. both kids gave good mins in East last game vs ND. although its tough to beat a team twice I'm going with East in a close one(gotta figure Western will be getting most the calls). Good Luck to both teams!!!!

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

This one has Huge written all over it. Western needs this one bad in the SOC, but so does East. If East gets the job done they are looking at a great chance of getting at least a share of the SOC as long as they take care of business. BUT then there is western. They are playing very good basketball for Coach Miller and looks like they get better each and every game. They are a completely different team than the last time they played east.

With that being said, ONLY because it is at western and they should have a very good crowd because of homecoming, I am taking western in a barn burner. I think this could be one of the better games in the SOC this yr. Cant wait to hear how this one goes.

Western 61 East 56

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

You could very easily be correct ^^^^^^ I'm looking forward to a great game...Also East are without Tyler Gerald who recently moved to Fla..

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

jordan23 wrote:This one has Huge written all over it. Western needs this one bad in the SOC, but so does East. If East gets the job done they are looking at a great chance of getting at least a share of the SOC as long as they take care of business. BUT then there is western. They are playing very good basketball for Coach Miller and looks like they get better each and every game. They are a completely different team than the last time they played east.

With that being said, ONLY because it is at western and they should have a very good crowd because of homecoming, I am taking western in a barn burner. I think this could be one of the better games in the SOC this yr. Cant wait to hear how this one goes.

Western 61 East 56
I must say East is a totally different team as well and has added depth

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

yep you are right. I have heard that as well

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Buckeye,
I didn't know about the 2 transfers but I did hear about the Gerald kid leaving.

Without the Gerald kid, Western should win this game going away. Western will excel in their half court offense without Gerald in the middle. But that is why they play the games .....

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

I'll take the Indians in a close one.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Even with the loss of Gerald East will still be strong in the middle as they still have Scott and also Basham who did not play in the first game. This will be a close one.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Updates?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

26-26
At the half

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Couldve been a really good game if you take those officials out of the game. Western made a lot of 3s and played hard but they had a lot of help. I bet its tough for anyone to win out there. the refs started his 5 second count against East guards when tthe Western defender was 5 feet from the player(applying no pressure ), but East had to be darn near on the hip of the Western players before they would start the count. they allowed Western to continuously go over the back and camp out in the lane. to start the game there were 6 fouls called against East before 1 was called against Western. I could go on but I rather not. I want to know who chooses the refs for these kids games? I won't atted another game at Western again , I was expecting a good, fair ball game....guess you can't believe the hype!!!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Wow that's how I saw the first game at East !! No but really we could go on all night blaming officials. Western was up 12 early in the game East came right back. It was tied at half . Second half Western pressed and trapped East turned the ball over. Western ran out front by about 10. East again made a run Western made a few adjustments and went back up by 8-9 and it stayed there. There was ZERO , 5 second calls in the game. I like Easts team they are a very compleat team if there coach would have feed the post in the second half like he did the first I think East could have taken home a "W" but regardless it was a fun game to watch. Hope we avoid East come tourney time they are going to be a tuff out !

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Zero 5 second calls? You mustve came late. official called 5 seconds on Brown the first possession and the kid was 5 feet from him, East was forced to make quick passes based on how quick those refs were starting their count...I'm just calling it how I saw it. Western won't beat that team on a neutral floor unless they have that same crew. The officiating was horrific!!! East probably couldve went to the post but I bet you didn't see the faje offensive charge called on the scott kid, or I bet you didn't notice Western guards pushing off because they couldn't handle the tight defense from east guards....like I said, it couldve been a great game but it was clearly obvious that those refs weren't going to blow Western homecoming .....They probably won't meet again because I see East going a lil further than Western in Tourney
Last edited by Jtaylor304 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Sad thing is the core of East team is Freshman and Soph

Bear42
Freshman Team

Post by Bear42 »

The losing teams fans always have a hard time with the officials.

Does the SOC have a league assigner? I'm not sure you can say "I'm never going to a game at Western again" if so. The officials work games all over the district.

Western is a good team that works hard and is well coached. They will beat some teams.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

East is going to be good for the next several years. And East turned the ball over is guess 15-20 times in the backcourt against the press there guards are young and panicked . Brown in the second half felt pressure to get them back in the game a turned there efficient first half offense into a one man show in the second half. He is young and very,very talented and will learn from this game and go on. But the officials never cost East the game Western "D" speed up there offense causeing the East kids to force a shot after one or no passes. Easts length on there smaller floor gives them a advantage against most teams in the league but on a regular width court make the spread out leaving shooters like Westerns open for corner threes . And last night Western knocked those threes down.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

There was absolutely no homer calls last night. East just flat got outplayed last night. The 5 second call came on the very first possession. And the 250 plus kid hit the 175 guy with force on the "real" offensive foul. U know whats funny about your post buckeye is that the way you feel is how everyone always feels on your elementary gym floor. You seem to always get the calls there.
The story of last nights game is that Western wanted more. Plain and simple. Give credit where its due. Coach Miller has the Indians playing with alot of heart and toughness. What Buckeye failed to mmention was how the tartans continually left our guards open from beyond the arc for the three. Dont know how many they had but that was the difference. And if western shoots better from the line this was a 20+ point win. Stop crying and give credit where its due. Instead of trying to make excuses. It was a great game dont ruin it.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

BillyHoyle42 wrote:The losing teams fans always have a hard time with the officials.

Does the SOC have a league assigner? I'm not sure you can say "I'm never going to a game at Western again" if so. The officials work games all over the district.

Western is a good team that works hard and is well coached. They will beat some teams.

Yes, SOC , SVC have a league Assignor!! See different refs at Western and all over. Yes, there is a core of refs that work the majority of SOC but they travel around, funny though sometimes it seems they follow one team around. I am sure that crew will have East again somewhere down the road.
Closely guarded is 6 feet I believe, maybe an official can explain, but 6 feet is a pretty good distance!! Technically a player can hold the ball for 12 seconds, Catch pass hold for 4 seconds, Dribble for 4 Seconds, and Hold again for 4 Seconds.

Sounds like sour grapes from another losing visiting team looking at something to blame. How about looking at missed shots, turnovers, etc.....

BUCK-I
Waterboy

Post by BUCK-I »

Absolutely correct "Regulator" player can legally hold ball 12 sec. On catch-dribble-pickup. Also SHAC has assigner also & most all refs work in these leagues as well as non-assigned leagues. I see crews work in all these leagues

Return to “Boys Basketball”