1/20 - Portsmouth 46 Ironton 57

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

1/20 - Portsmouth 46 Ironton 57

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

The Portsmouth Trojans travel to Ironton in a rematch with the Fighting Tigers. Portsmouth won the early season matchup, thoughts?
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unclebob
JV Team

Re: 1/20 - Portsmouth (9-3, 5-1) @ Ironton (5-7, 2-2)

Post by unclebob »

Ironton will have an additional player so this should help them. The other senior transfer was ruled ineligible to play this year in any Ohio high school. Feel sorry for the kid who thought the grass would be greener but now cannot play anywhere his senior year! Portsmouth is not living up to their pre season hype.

neutral
Waterboy

Post by neutral »

Ironton player ruled ineligible? What are the details surrounding this and why has no one been talking about it?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

neutral wrote:Ironton player ruled ineligible? What are the details surrounding this and why has no one been talking about it?
Probably because he's never played at Ironton.

He transferred from South Point to Ironton his Senior year for some reason and he's not eligible to play from what I've heard (not sure why).

neutral
Waterboy

Post by neutral »

This is a shame for this kid. It also looks bad on the Ironton program as a whole. Will there be state repercussions or is the kid just ineligible?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

neutral wrote:This is a shame for this kid. It also looks bad on the Ironton program as a whole. Will there be state repercussions or is the kid just ineligible?
State repercussions for what?? He's never played any sports at Ironton. The better questions would be, why did he leave South Point for his Senior year to begin with and why is he ineligible to play the entire season?

neutral
Waterboy

Post by neutral »

When a kid transfers, the coach or the schools athletic dept would have to file paperwork to know the specifics of the situation... you would think. So nowadays, with kids tranferring all the time, something either was not done or the specifics outlined were not being met. Either way it is a shame for the kid and something that is a rare occurence, especially at Ironton.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

neutral wrote:When a kid transfers, the coach or the schools athletic dept would have to file paperwork to know the specifics of the situation... you would think. So nowadays, with kids tranferring all the time, something either was not done or the specifics outlined were not being met. Either way it is a shame for the kid and something that is a rare occurence, especially at Ironton.
I agree, it is a shame for the kid. I'm surprised he didn't go to Chesapeake, it's not like Irontons a powerhouse in Basketball.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Coach Lafon should be given credit for not playing a kid that did not meet the requirements needed to be eligible.

neutral
Waterboy

Post by neutral »

Given credit? Doubt it was a coaches decision to sit kid out... doesn't that ruling comes from the state? I'm all for giving credit where credit is due but don't think that's the case here.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I heard it was Coach Lafon who looked into the situation himself but then again I might have been told wrong :122249

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:
neutral wrote:Ironton player ruled ineligible? What are the details surrounding this and why has no one been talking about it?

He transferred from South Point to Ironton his Senior year for some reason and he's not eligible to play from what I've heard (not sure why).
He probably asking because all we heard was after 11 games and the 3 new kids was eligible how much better the team would be so YES there was talk about him before he even played. And the question about WHY he left south point would be on the coach that he will be playing for in my opinion like someone else posted. But the good thing is Tigers diddnt need him any one the OTHER transfer got them a big win and helped put over 90 on the board ,my guess is Ironton goes on to win out with no problem now

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ROY MUNSUN wrote:
ohbuckeye2 wrote:

He probably asking because all we heard was after 11 games and the 3 new kids was eligible how much better the team would be so YES there was talk about him before he even played. And the question about WHY he left south point would be on the coach that he will be playing for in my opinion like someone else posted. But the good thing is Tigers diddnt need him any one the OTHER transfer got them a big win and helped put over 90 on the board ,my guess is Ironton goes on to win out with no problem now
Who's the 3rd transfer? The reason he left South Point lays squarely on the Parents shoulders in my opinion. Coach Lafon did the right thing in my opinion.

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

I would think a coach and even a principle would want to know why a kid is transferring from school to school esp. If he/she intended on residing in the same district he is leaving. Of course that's just my opinion.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

win out from here on out? We shall see about that!

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

This is a decent Ironton team but not a world beater. While starting 4 guards, the Tigers need to keep pushing the tempo, and not let opposing zone defenses turn games into half court battles. Spread the floor, create driving lanes, and don't be afraid to shoot the three. They proved last game they have some shooters.

neutral
Waterboy

Post by neutral »

The bigger issue on this post is the ineligible Ironton transfer. From what I hear the kid would of been the best player on Ironton's team and now the kid doesn't get to play his senior year due to lack of judgment by all parties involved. Its been repeated several times that Ironton "recruits" but to my knowledge I have never heard of an Ironton team having an ineligible transfer. Can anyone say for sure why this occurred?

Malcontent
Freshman Team

Post by Malcontent »

Don't see an issue here at all unless someone is trying to make it one. Recruiting is not legal in Ohio and if anyone on this board has proof they should take their proof to the OHSAA, No school should be accused of recruiting whether it be an Ironton or any school without proof. One school in this county has already been hit with suspensions and I'm sure the State would like to hear what knowledge anyone has about any other school.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Final

Portsmouth -- 46
Ironton ------- 57

Return to “Boys Basketball”