1/20 - Portsmouth 46 Ironton 57

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 1/20 - Portsmouth (9-3, 5-1) @ Ironton (5-7, 2-2)

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:Final

Portsmouth -- 46
Ironton ------- 57
Trojans over the Tigers in the JV game 55--18.........

Trojans over the Tigers in the Freshmen games 39--18........

unclebob
JV Team

Re: 1/20 - Portsmouth 46 Ironton 57

Post by unclebob »

With the problems recently at Fairland that were discovered I think "some" schools are now watching which kids transfer in and are " NOW" actually verifying addresses more than one time. I don't think this was done more than one time at some schools. AD's, principals, coaches and superintendents don't want to be caught red handed with transfers actually not living where they say they live.

With that being said I do feel sorry for the kid for listening to some adults who obviously didn't think it through and now he has to sit his senior year. The grass isn't always greener.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on the win........despite the Trojans very cold shooting (perhaps our worst of the year), they were still within 8 points with 3 minutes remaining. Dylan Malone definitely has given Ironton some much needed spark. I still have faith in my Trojans in that they will come out of a shooting slump that has lasted for 2 weeks. The talent is there, but the lack of size and a post game has turned PHS into a jump shooting team........and jump shooting teams will have cold nights. We are 9-4, not 4-9, and we will have better shooting days ahead. Good to see freshman Cole Lowery score double figures for PHS. Very encouraging to see our JV and Freshman teams win handily.

GO TROJANS!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

After watching last night's game vs. Ironton, it was frustrating to see the Trojans try as they might to win the game from the perimeter. Without a post presence offensively, Portsmouth has tried to rely on perimeter shooting against zone defenses (virtually everyone plays zone vs. the Trojans), and the results have been inconsistent.

Since Eugene Collins took over as head coach at PHS in the 2009-2010 season (this is his 6th year), he has had only 1 player 6-5 or taller.......Dion McKinley (6-5), who was an outstanding Trojan leading PHS to back to back Final 4 appearances in 2011 and 2012. I went to the Flyin to The Hoop in Dayton this past Sunday, and there was plenty of size to go around. Virtually every team had at least 1 player 6-5 or taller, and many had multiple players of that height or taller. I remarked to my friend, biggdowgg, who went with me, that it would be nice if we could have just 1 player of at least 6-5 with a good post game. I have seen schools smaller than Portsmouth with several players 6-5 or taller, Chesapeake being one of them. It's frustrating to see the Trojans trying to win games from the perimeter because there just isn't a notable post presence on offense. Still, our kids are battling hard, and I maintain that the Trojans have the capability to get things ironed out in time for the tournament.

I know Ironton fans feel the loss of Trey Fletcher (6-6), who was an dominant post player for the Fighting Tigers on their 2013 Final 4 team and a 1,000 point scorer. A good post player is vital to having a complete offense, and the lack thereof makes it difficult for any coach, whether it be Collins or Lafon, to structure a successful offense. The addition of Dylan Malone (6-4), though not a classic down low post player, has plenty of athleticism and the ability to run the court on the break to be a valuable addition to Ironton.

The law of averages with 6-5 players or taller has to work in the Trojans favor sometime............1 player 6-5 in 6 years!!.......and Coach Collins has still amassed a 95-37 record!!

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I feel you, Dave. The Tigers lack size inside as well. But there are things a coach can do to adjust to the hand he is dealt, and try to create mismatches for the other team. Neither Portsmouth or Ironton have any business trying to rely on a post-up game. That just ends up clogging things up and resulting in a low percentage shot. Ironton tried to jam it inside in the season's first half with not great success. At times, it seemed the Tigers refused to shoot threes, scoring 39 points on 4 three ball attempts against Rock Hill; 40 points on 5 three ball attempts against South Point; and 32 points on 7 three ball attempts against Coal Grove. The relative offensive explosion in the last two outings came only after Lafon seemingly loosened the reins on the players' shot selection, resulting in a combined 21 threes against Ashland and Portsmouth. Ironton has some kids who can hit that shot if given the chance.

My point is that if you don't have size, and you are unwilling or unable to shoot threes, you really don't have much you can rely on offensively. But if you at least have a three ball threat, spread the floor (and the defense), open up the lane, and create some drive and dish or drive and kick opportunities, then you have a chance. My Tigers have done a better job with that the last few games, and in turn, have been much more up-tempo with the ball. I hope they can maintain that kind of attacking style the rest of the season.

As you point out, the Trojans endured a frigid shooting night at the Conley Center, canning just 6-34 from three point range. But 34 threes is probably too many for any high school team to be taking in a 32 minute game, representing over 60% of its total shots. As a result, Portsmouth didn't get to the line much or otherwise seriously challenge the Ironton defense. I am sure Coach Collins will get the corrected by next game. On an otherwise tough night, I was very impressed by the freshman Lowery. Plus, Oliver and Allison seem to be getting their legs back under them, and Reynolds is a better player than he showed last night. So the Trojans should be back to their usual selves come tournament time.

The inaugural OVC campaign has been fun to watch, with at least 5 teams having a real shot of making some noise in the Convo come March. See you then.

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

I'm going say this, Trojans have had some very talented teams these past 6 years(especially those senior dominant teams on the back to back seasons) Portsmouth isn't the smallest team around here so I would say its not their size that's the issue. Everyone knew who all they had coming back this year and they were picked by most folk as the best team around and also to make a state run(with the same under sized team)...what's the real issue why Portsmouth loses to less talented teams? How many teams have a Three headed monster as talented as Ky're,Sky and Kendal? Valley had no business beating them last year, If they don't win the district aand make a push for the region (which isn't as tough as usual) then they might want to reconsider who's leading them, I mean they barely beat Rock Hill smh. Sounds to me like its more of the talent that's winning games for Portsmouth and less Coaching.. I could be wrong...Jeff Lisath should be heading that program anyway!!!

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

trojandave wrote:After watching last night's game vs. Ironton, it was frustrating to see the Trojans try as they might to win the game from the perimeter. Without a post presence offensively, Portsmouth has tried to rely on perimeter shooting against zone defenses (virtually everyone plays zone vs. the Trojans), and the results have been inconsistent.

Since Eugene Collins took over as head coach at PHS in the 2009-2010 season (this is his 6th year), he has had only 1 player 6-5 or taller.......Dion McKinley (6-5), who was an outstanding Trojan leading PHS to back to back Final 4 appearances in 2011 and 2012. I went to the Flyin to The Hoop in Dayton this past Sunday, and there was plenty of size to go around. Virtually every team had at least 1 player 6-5 or taller, and many had multiple players of that height or taller. I remarked to my friend, biggdowgg, who went with me, that it would be nice if we could have just 1 player of at least 6-5 with a good post game. I have seen schools smaller than Portsmouth with several players 6-5 or taller, Chesapeake being one of them. It's frustrating to see the Trojans trying to win games from the perimeter because there just isn't a notable post presence on offense. Still, our kids are battling hard, and I maintain that the Trojans have the capability to get things ironed out in time for the tournament.

I know Ironton fans feel the loss of Trey Fletcher (6-6), who was an dominant post player for the Fighting Tigers on their 2013 Final 4 team and a 1,000 point scorer. A good post player is vital to having a complete offense, and the lack thereof makes it difficult for any coach, whether it be Collins or Lafon, to structure a successful offense. The addition of Dylan Malone (6-4), though not a classic down low post player, has plenty of athleticism and the ability to run the court on the break to be a valuable addition to Ironton.

The law of averages with 6-5 players or taller has to work in the Trojans favor sometime............1 player 6-5 in 6 years!!.......and Coach Collins has still amassed a 95-37 record!!

Let me preface this with the fact I've seen PHS 2 or 3 times this year but from an outsiders point of view in the games I saw their weakness against a zone may have more to do with their impatience on offense. This may not apply to the Ironton game but the games I saw they attempted to get up and down the floor and it seemed the first hand it hit took the shot (with the exception of Kyre who seemed almost too patient). Actually was happy to see his patience and willingness to get others involved. In the Wendy's classic against the Burg, it seemed like Dickerson had 20 rebounds. I cannot imagine him being unable to operate in a post position even though he isn't extremely tall. The Reynolds kid had some decent post work in the tourney last year and I also think Kyre would be a great choice due to his vision and passing ability down low early in games.

In the games I watched Oliver was extensively used in the post but it was against man to man and he had a favorable match up. And as you said, they aren't hitting shots....they don't have someone like Lisath who could knock down the 3 when you needed it. The current players don't seem to have the shooting form to be consistent from the perimeter. So why not flip some of the outside players inside, especially with Dickerson and Allison's jumping ability. Even if it simply gives you some inside to out looks (which are always better shots than perimeter fed outside shots), I honestly think they might be surprised by what could happen. Of course that also potentially takes a couple of your better passers off the perimeter.

Full court defensive pressure might also open up some scoring early and then they can toss the ball around the zone all night if they are leading. But I think I also commented in an earlier post that I did not see the commitment to defense in the games I watched. On ball defense was pretty good but saw alot of coasting when players were off the ball. The good teams Portsmouth had in the recent past always seemed to really hawk the ballhandler and when they got away with it, reached and grabbed players off the dribble. Saw that in the second half a couple years ago against Valley when Valley had built a large lead and the officiating seemed to loosen and Portsmouth just aggravated the ballhandler and reached and poked and won the game. Both games at the Convo that night seemed to favor the looser perimeter defense and the better perimeter defenders won the game.

Just a few observations....have watched a few of these kids for awhile and like to see them right the ship

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

buckeyes911 wrote:I'm going say this, Trojans have had some very talented teams these past 6 years(especially those senior dominant teams on the back to back seasons) Portsmouth isn't the smallest team around here so I would say its not their size that's the issue. Everyone knew who all they had coming back this year and they were picked by most folk as the best team around and also to make a state run(with the same under sized team)...what's the real issue why Portsmouth loses to less talented teams? How many teams have a Three headed monster as talented as Ky're,Sky and Kendal? Valley had no business beating them last year, If they don't win the district aand make a push for the region (which isn't as tough as usual) then they might want to reconsider who's leading them, I mean they barely beat Rock Hill smh. Sounds to me like its more of the talent that's winning games for Portsmouth and less Coaching.. I could be wrong...Jeff Lisath should be heading that program anyway!!!
Why haven't you applied? You seem to be in the know about programs all over Scioto County!

Jtaylor304
Freshman Team

Post by Jtaylor304 »

Same reason you haven't lol I enjoy thinking I know everything on S.E.O.P....and Jeff would do way better than myself , I will say this, I don't think I would lose with 3 of the top players in the area on my team, especially to anyone around here....Portsmouth has the talent on that jv team and the varsity bench, including Ky're,Sky,Alex and Kendall to run any team in this tri state out the gym if coached correctly....I don't know how good of an athlete you were or how well you know the sport but I definitely understand myself. I'm not the only one who feels this way I'm just putting it out there..sorry for freedom of press/speech....stay blessed

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

buckeyes911 wrote:Same reason you haven't lol I enjoy thinking I know everything on S.E.O.P....and Jeff would do way better than myself , I will say this, I don't think I would lose with 3 of the top players in the area on my team, especially to anyone around here....Portsmouth has the talent on that jv team and the varsity bench, including Ky're,Sky,Alex and Kendall to run any team in this tri state out the gym if coached correctly....I don't know how good of an athlete you were or how well you know the sport but I definitely understand myself. I'm not the only one who feels this way I'm just putting it out there..sorry for freedom of press/speech....stay blessed
There is parity in the SE in my opinion. I don't think you blame your size, you have to go with the cards you're dealt and adjust accordingly. I think Collins has done a masterful job putting that program back on top. Sorry to say, but I believe head to head he is 2-1 vs Jeff at Piketon. I'm a Lisath fan and would love to see him return to the SE to coach, but I think his job in Corrections has him stuck in Dayton until next year. Besides that he is building a program at Dayton Northridge from the ground up and they're already considered one of the top D3 teams in the state. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when you talk about a coach that is 95-37 and went to back-to-back Final 4's, he certainly have to be doing something right.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

who's up next for the fighting tigers.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:who's up next for the fighting tigers.
Home tomorrow against Fairland.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

thanks.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

cant believe anyone can question what coach Collins and his staff have down since taking over this program lol,they have done nothing but win wonder how many great coaches out there that has not coached in a final 4 game ? let a lobe go back to back ,and yes the ":3 headed monster": are all 3 good players ,but when you shoot shoot around 25 % as a team you are not going to beat a lot of teams no matter how good they are Im not laying blame on just a couple kids this team as whole has not been shooting well and when you have no post game it makes it tough esp when shots are not falling you cant lay that on the coaches or IMO even the kids ,it happens they just have to keep shooting . as far as Jeff Lisath should be the coach, the job was his , he turned it down could Jeff have done better? would Jeff have taken us to the state back to back years? we will never know. I was one that wanted Jeff also but I am very pleased with how it all unfolded. one think I think of all the time IF Jeff had taken the job , we would have been looking for another coach a couple years ago already as Jeff job had him leaving the area . I say it every year great thing about basketball is you have all year to get things right ,its not how you start its how you finish, at this point I am feeling good at being 9 and 4 and not 4 and 9 .....and I still bet you theres a lot of teams not wanting to see the Trojans first game in the draw.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

buckeyes911 wrote:Same reason you haven't lol I enjoy thinking I know everything on S.E.O.P....and Jeff would do way better than myself , I will say this, I don't think I would lose with 3 of the top players in the area on my team, especially to anyone around here....Portsmouth has the talent on that jv team and the varsity bench, including Ky're,Sky,Alex and Kendall to run any team in this tri state out the gym if coached correctly....I don't know how good of an athlete you were or how well you know the sport but I definitely understand myself. I'm not the only one who feels this way I'm just putting it out there..sorry for freedom of press/speech....stay blessed
Coach Collins and staff have done a fantastic job at Portsmouth. Your contention of "3 of the top players in the area" is laughable. I like all three kids and all are good ballplayers. You could certainly make the argument that one of them may be THE top player in the area as far as potential at the next level but I think that statement not only is an indication of your lack of knowledge but is also an insult to the many fine players in the area. Probably also the reason you'd blame a very good coaching staff as well. I think their success speaks for itself; you don't accomplish what they have otherwise. Take a harder look at the strengths and weakness of ALL your players as I also don't think Portsmouth plays with 3 but with 5. Typical of comments on here that put one or a few players above their team. All are important and I can think of others that certainly contribute to Portsmouth's success. There are reasons for Portsmouth's struggles and as bigdowg suggested that is the beauty of playing the complete season. I'm certain NOBODY will want Portsmouth as a draw come tourney time especially if they can get to Athens and run of some of the teams that pack it in against them.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Great post, biggdowgg........and oldschool, you make some excellent points in your post. I am very happy to have Eugene Collins as our head coach.......95-37(5th winningest coach in PHS history), 2 Final 4's, a state runnerup, 2 SEOAL titles......what in the world do some people want? Just another point........every other year, Coach Collins takes his team to Florida and he has to work really hard to raise the money to make this possible. One of the great perks of playing basketball for the Trojans is an all-expense paid trip to Florida in the middle of an Ohio winter.........and the Trojans are on schedule to make that trip in the 2015-2016 season. He also revived the Wendy's Classic this year, and the event is sure to grow in popularity as time goes.

GO TROJANS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”