Oak hill@Minford 1/13

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Oak hill@Minford 1/13

Post by 4thgoal »

Falcon Fury wrote:Since you went there...I think you mean winners! Just to clarify...Minford = winners of the game and Whiners = Oak fans crying about the call with 1.0 seconds left and/or Norm cursing at our administration.

Just to clarify my earlier comments. I am just concerned by the profanity used by Norm towards the Minford administration following the game. There are a lot of young children that see this behavior and it is not something I appreciate my children witnessing.

The matchup on Feb.13 will be an interesting one. Hoping to see Minford get the 9th straight win against the Oaks. GO FALCONS!
At least at Oak Hill the band will be so loud, you won't be able to hear any cursing that may or may not be going on! Did the person who was cussed at notify the officials? Did they file a complaint with the Oak Hill administration? Notify the OHSAA? There are plenty of avenues for a complaint to be filed and I highly doubt anything was done. Instead of complaining about it on SEOP, call or email one of the OHSAA board member at the link below:

http://www.ohsaa.org/general/biographies/board_bios.htm

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

Here is the play that was in question...starts at the 20sec mark. That's a pretty obvious blown call. Should have been either 3 shots or an intentional foul. Cox was trying to shoot the ball from the time he turned around but the Rowe kid kept pulling down on him. The ref on the far side that had the best view of it was right in front of me and held out 3 fingers when he blew his whistle but then Bobby Johnson overruled him. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3472699/hig ... /223795378

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

UpOnTheHill wrote:Here is the play that was in question...starts at the 20sec mark. That's a pretty obvious blown call. Should have been either 3 shots or an intentional foul. Cox was trying to shoot the ball from the time he turned around but the Rowe kid kept pulling down on him. The ref on the far side that had the best view of it was right in front of me and held out 3 fingers when he blew his whistle but then Bobby Johnson overruled him. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3472699/hig ... /223795378
There is no way that was a shooting foul and neither official called it as an intentional as it happened. Any team that is trailing late in a game fouls "intentionally" to stop the clock and have a chance to get the ball back, yet none of those are ever called as intentional fouls. I don't think this play is any different than those situations. I believe the correct call was made. This was just a case of knowing you weren't going to send them to the line and using another foul.

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

I'm sure if it was Burg you would be singing a different tune! When they blew the whistle and his arm was in motion towards the basket.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

4th n Goal wrote:
UpOnTheHill wrote:Here is the play that was in question...starts at the 20sec mark. That's a pretty obvious blown call. Should have been either 3 shots or an intentional foul. Cox was trying to shoot the ball from the time he turned around but the Rowe kid kept pulling down on him. The ref on the far side that had the best view of it was right in front of me and held out 3 fingers when he blew his whistle but then Bobby Johnson overruled him. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3472699/hig ... /223795378
There is no way that was a shooting foul and neither official called it as an intentional as it happened. Any team that is trailing late in a game fouls "intentionally" to stop the clock and have a chance to get the ball back, yet none of those are ever called as intentional fouls. I don't think this play is any different than those situations. I believe the correct call was made. This was just a case of knowing you weren't going to send them to the line and using another foul.

Absolutely 4th n Goal; additionally, he wasn't even facing the basket when the foul was whistled and his point about the referee and 3 fingers I believe is done on every three point attempt. 4th n Goal has the perfect read on the play IMO as Minford indeed had a foul to give and Rowe made the smart play in not letting a good shooter beat Minford with the shot. Great decision by the player and most likely the staff telling the Minford kids to not let Cox shoot the 3 in that situation. Thanks for the video proof; in being objective, I wanted to believe in what I saw at the game and that certainly confirmed it. After all, I was on the grassy knoll when it occurred

Not to mention Rowe fouled him two or three times on the floor. That crew certainly missed a few calls during the game but that was not one of them; kudos to Bobby Johnson for not letting Norm bully him into a bad call!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

UpOnTheHill wrote:I'm sure if it was Burg you would be singing a different tune! When they blew the whistle and his arm was in motion towards the basket.
At the heat of the moment if I was there, I probably would have believed it was a shooting foul, but after watching the video a few times, there is no doubt that he was not in the shooting motion when the whistle was blown. If he was in the shooting motion, shouldn't the official have had both arms up signifying that he was shooting from behind the line?

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

UpOnTheHill wrote:I'm sure if it was Burg you would be singing a different tune! When they blew the whistle and his arm was in motion towards the basket.
And that is what they call the pot calling the kettle black! Just ribbing you a little UpOnTheHill; should make for a great rematch up on the hill!

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

oldschool wrote:
And that is what they call the pot calling the kettle black! Just ribbing you a little UpOnTheHill; should make for a great rematch up on the hill!
And exactly why 4th n Goal has credibility on the issue.......doesn't have a dog in the fight I'd guess

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

Both arms only go up when the shot is made. They usually hold 3 fingers out till they see if the shot is made. The official on the far sideline had the best view of him trying to shoot and he was the one signaling it was 3.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

UpOnTheHill wrote:Both arms only go up when the shot is made. They usually hold 3 fingers out till they see if the shot is made. The official on the far sideline had the best view of him trying to shoot and he was the one signaling it was 3.
I just watched the video again and the foul was clearly committed while he was dribbling and facing away from the basket. There is no way you can argue with that unless Norm's towel is in your way. He then gets grabbed again as he turns and tries to get the call to be a shooting foul. As oldschool mentioned, I have no dog in the fight and honestly would like to see Minford get a SOC loss to make it a race for the trophy late in the season.

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

You kinda contradict yourself too in a couple earlier posts when you said " his point about the referee and 3 fingers I believe is done on every three point attempt". You kinda support my fact that the far official was saying it was a 3pt attempt.

UpOnTheHill
Freshman Team

Post by UpOnTheHill »

When the whistle was blown and their arms went up he wasn't dribbling and was already facing towards the basket. They didn't call the foul as soon as you see him grab him. You have to look at when their arm goes in the air because that is when the whistle is blown.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

UpOnTheHill wrote:You kinda contradict yourself too in a couple earlier posts when you said " his point about the referee and 3 fingers I believe is done on every three point attempt". You kinda support my fact that the far official was saying it was a 3pt attempt.
There is no way I can tell in that video if the official has any fingers out. Regardless of arms or whether the official had his middle finger out, that was the correct call and in no way was he in the act of shooting

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Everyone has their own opinion.I believe it was a blown call and I was sitting right in front of it. Maybe we can get a few refs that visit this site to weigh in on it. Where is pflyod when u need him? Its a no-brainer cox knew he was getting fouled thats why he was getting the shot off.4thngoal u might have saw things differently if u were there and it happened right in front of u. Maybe not. One thing is for sure if that call is made the (soc) would be up for grabs right now with minford having the a 1 game lead.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

oakfan wrote:Everyone has their own opinion.I believe it was a blown call and I was sitting right in front of it. Maybe we can get a few refs that visit this site to weigh in on it. Where is pflyod when u need him? Its a no-brainer cox knew he was getting fouled thats why he was getting the shot off.4thngoal u might have saw things differently if u were there and it happened right in front of u. Maybe not. One thing is for sure if that call is made the (soc) would be up for grabs right now with minford having the a 1 game lead.
I'm out! Game is over; love the discussion and the passion of all the fans. Cannot wait for the rematch. Should be fun to watch! Catch you on the rematch post folks and here's to a great game by all the kids!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thanks for the video. IMO would've been a travesty to call anything other than a regular foul....before, well before the shot.

Good luck to both teams in the rematch

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

You Joke Hill fans are great. If the kid was trying to shoot he ball across the court into Minford's basket, it's a shooting foul. Cause that's the direction he was facing, without attempting to shoot, when he was fouled. I swear you guys could turn something green into something red.

As far as Norm.....great coach. To win with the lack of talent he's had at Oak Hill is impressive. But it's hard to argue that he is not very classy and thinks he can do (and say) whatever he wants, when he wants, where he wants. hopefully the kids don't develop the same attitude.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I seriously thought that there may have been an argument for 3 shots...until I saw the video. Rowe clearly fouls him regularly on the floor and it only looks like anything else because of how late the whistles were. 100% not shooting either.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

The foul occurred on the floor as he began to pivot towards the basket. What you want to see is the player continue around and get grabbed again while shooting, but the ref came in with hand up on the first foul on the floor. My big question is how did u get that short clip from hudl? I am trying to do same thing.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

If that's how u see it wouldn't u add time back on the clock. That left .07 seconds to get a shot off. Hard to do.

Return to “Boys Basketball”