Meigs thus far

BlizzardMan
S

Re: Meigs thus far

Post by BlizzardMan »

Coach_K wrote:
BlizzardMan wrote:
Coach_K wrote:It really sucks to be a Meigs Fan and know that Meigs has so much talent but our record is 4-10, we are getting beat by all the DIII schools. I knew this year was going to be a tough year for us, but I never imagined it would be this tough. I'm not gonna say why we are losing, just gonna say that if things aren't working, then you have to change it. whether it be the offense or defense or whether it be the players on the court. I just know turnovers are killing us, when we played Athens the other day our first 7 trips down the court resulted in turnovers and we didn't even get a shot off.
Maybe Meigs fans should have thought about that before we ran off the good coach we already had at Meigs the last two years. You reap what you sow.
Curious to who the Great Coach was the last 2 seasons. Lets take a look at the previous 2 seasons:

2012/2013 Record 10-11

WINS
River Valley---52-41 (2-20 record)
Alexander------56-43 (5-18 record)
Wahama--------61-55 (10-13 record)
Southern--------53-39 (10-13 record)
Nelsonville---62-58 (15-7 record)
Wellston --------56-41 (11-12 record)
Jackson --------60-46 (1-23 record)
Alexander------ 47-43 (5-18 record)
River Valley----35-33 (2-20 record)
Fed. Hocking----57-51 (16-6 record)

So we beat 2 Teams with a Winning Record.

2013/2014 Record 8-12

WINS
River Valley---50-49 (5-16 record)
Alexander------56-43 (11-9 record)
Wellston --------66-49 (4-18 record)
Southern--------71-54 (16-6 record)
Wahama--------55-43 (10-13 record)
Nelsonville---62-58 (14-8 record)
Eastern --------54-35 (2-19 record)
Wellston --------40-39 (4-18 record)

3 Wins against teams with Winning Records.

Now This year:
2014/2015 Record so far 5-10

WINS
Jackson---59-57 (4-14 record)
Gallia------55-53 (3-15 record)
Nelsonville --------58-52 (5-10 record)
Belpre--------86-77 (4-11 record)
Wellston--------61-58(5-11 record)

So As of yet this year we haven't beat a Winning Team and we SHOULD at least beat Eastern, Wellston and Nelsonville again and possibly Southern. If we are to beat all 4 of these teams, That will put our record for the season at 9-13. In which would pretty much be the same as the Great Coach the previous seasons that you are talking about.

The biggest difference between this season and the last 2 seasons, this season Meigs has the Talent there available for them, but it hasn't been used and is being refused to be used for some reason. Makes people wonder what are they waiting for? Why is the talent not being used THIS YEAR??
First off, I didn't use the word "great". Secondly, Coach Kight exceeded the two year expectations with his teams that were set before he got hired, including a sectional title. He played guys that could play and utilized his role players properly. That constitutes good coaching to me. And also, his teams were disciplined and he disciplined players when necessary. Just because one of those players may or may not have been closely related to you doesn't mean he was a bad coach.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

First off, I didn't use the word "great". Secondly, Coach Kight exceeded the two year expectations with his teams that were set before he got hired, including a sectional title. He played guys that could play and utilized his role players properly. That constitutes good coaching to me. And also, his teams were disciplined and he disciplined players when necessary. Just because one of those players may or may not have been closely related to you doesn't mean he was a bad coach.
I'm curious to know how you knew what the expectations were? I am not taking away his somewhat accomplishment of 2 losing seasons. And If I'm thinking correctly we were DIII when we won the Sectional. And that was when we only had to Win one game to win the sectional. The previous year before that when Benny had the team we had to win 2 games to go to win the sectional, we won the first one, but lost the second one...so so close to winning a Sectional and we only had 2 wins that season. Then the year before that Benny won a sectional with a 10-10 season. Point being the last 2 years was just as mediocre of the previous 2 years before him. So what accomplishments were made?

Like I said I am not taking away from him, I don't have any issues with him. I don't know who made the pushes to get him out of there...I have just heard people say that if he would have been there this year that 4 or 5 of the boys wouldn't have played basketball this year.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

son_ofthe_south wrote:
Steel Reserve wrote:People are right. This year has been a joke. Listen, Carl Wolfe, Jr. was an all state player and coaching is in his blood. Shouldn't the powers that be at least try to get him?
Felons can't coach in Ohio.
I'm reporting this to a moderator! He's not a felon. You want to make mean spirited comments behind a user name. The fact is, he was an all state player, probably the only one we've had in the last 15 years. He would make a great coach and I think most would agree.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

Being a Great Player and being a Great Coach is two different things, just because one could play the game doesn't mean they can Coach. Take a look at many of the Pro Coaches, they weren't great players.

However I did hear that Wolfe Sr. might be Coaching at the High School level again next year...But thats just what some have heard.

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

Steel Reserve wrote:
meigs_pride wrote:Rumor is a bunch of players are going to be leaving Meigs next year. Heard they all might be moving to the same school in the tvc ohio.
Not surprised! Looks like things haven't changed much at Meigs lately. I remember back when Carl Wolfe was the coach and we had some teams we could be proud of. I'd like to see his son, Carl Wolfe, Jr. get into coaching. I'd bet he could pull off some magic and make Meigs a power again.
youre joking right?

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

Steel Reserve wrote:People are right. This year has been a joke. Listen, Carl Wolfe, Jr. was an all state player and coaching is in his blood. Shouldn't the powers that be at least try to get him?
all state? no way

bumblebeetuna
Riding the Bench

Post by bumblebeetuna »

Well I don't know the answer for meigs but I did say I wasn't going to anymore games this year but I did go to eastern Saturday night and it was horrible .I really don't think anything can help enough to make them good meaning bringing up under classmen.without English they can't just can't win but the Lilly boy did look pretty good. I think they should just play hard the rest of the year and get ready for next year. I look for much of the same next year.jmo better luck maybe next year.

Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

The game with Eastern was exciting to listen to on the radio, both teams played hard.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Didn't even know Isaiah wasn't playing. Might as well give a freshman or two a chance. Definitely the Hawley kid and maybe the Mattox kid.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

BlizzardMan wrote:Didn't even know Isaiah wasn't playing. Might as well give a freshman or two a chance. Definitely the Hawley kid and maybe the Mattox kid.
Isaiah is playing, he just wasn't playing in this game for discipline reasons. Jaxon Meadows is now out with a broken tailbone. There won't be any Freshmen seeing any Varsity time...Noone can figure out why, I don't think anyone cares anymore. Hard to think positive about a program and the direction it's going in when you lose to a team that only won two games last year, only won one this year up until us. they had lost 13 in a row, and the sad thing is, Eastern only has half the students we do. Heck they shouldn't have been close to us let alone beat us...Just crazy and makes Meigs look very bad...Bring on baseball.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I think Meigs has had a solid year and they have a very bright future. The Eastern game was a heck of a game but it seemed like eastern just wanted it a little bit more. Meigs is going to be very respectable for the next few years. Will they win a league title? I doubt it, but they will be fun to watch

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Coach_K wrote:
BlizzardMan wrote:Didn't even know Isaiah wasn't playing. Might as well give a freshman or two a chance. Definitely the Hawley kid and maybe the Mattox kid.
Isaiah is playing, he just wasn't playing in this game for discipline reasons. Jaxon Meadows is now out with a broken tailbone. There won't be any Freshmen seeing any Varsity time...Noone can figure out why, I don't think anyone cares anymore. Hard to think positive about a program and the direction it's going in when you lose to a team that only won two games last year, only won one this year up until us. they had lost 13 in a row, and the sad thing is, Eastern only has half the students we do. Heck they shouldn't have been close to us let alone beat us...Just crazy and makes Meigs look very bad...Bring on baseball.
I'm betting that coach is one of those old school guys who just doesn't think a freshman can handle playing varsity no matter what. I had a baseball coach in high school my freshman year like that, although he finally played me the last five games of the season. It's a mentality that makes no sense. I understand freshmen more than likely aren't going to be as physically strong as older kids, but there are some exceptions of kids who can hold their own at that age. You have to admit, at least Coach Kight wasn't afraid to play freshmen.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I can't say he is a felon but I do know there was run in's with the law. Not sure what standards these Meigs County teams have but I can't see Meigs sports period ever changing. The funniest thing is when kids say I'm moving to another school. News flash, it never works out.

Return to “Boys Basketball”