Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 63
Vinton 48
final

Skiisme
All Conference

Re: Athens (2-0) at Vinton County (3-1)

Post by Skiisme »

Final score, Athens 63 Vinton County 48. Young Vikes went cold in the 4th and Athens played lights out. Looking forward to the rematch!!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

It was a great game. Athens led early, lutz getting in foul trouble helped Vikes climb back closer. Third saw Vikes encounter foul trouble of their own but also rally to take the lead. The 4th was mostly Athens as the Athens zone not only protected the foul prone but confused the Vikes as the Dogs regained their legs. I think Athens took the Vikings best shot in this young season and still prevailed by 15 on the road. The rematch will be fun! Good luck to both! Go TVC

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The officiating is not what got the Vikings beat, (they are still young and confidence sometimes alludes them), but I will tell you, the officials were bad. In the first half, there were a couple of calls against Athens that were very questionable. Then in the second half it went the other way, as the officials call every little ticky-tack foul against the Vikings. However, what really peppered my mustard was the obvious; the traveling call on the step-through, the traveling call during the dribble, the three-second call on a loose rebound, the missed obvious over-and-back by Athens late, the Vikings took four charges before one was called, and two clearly hacks (that could be heard at the table) on Chase Wood in fourth that went uncalled. And officials wonder why they are often criticized.

To the officials out there, it is ok to be wrong, it is ok to miss a call, and it is ok to have a bad game, just get better, have pride in your craft, and do it without a smug expression or blatant arrogance. Nobody comes to watch you officiate, nobody is taking you out for drinks later, heck, they are not going to like your facebook page. Just show up, be professional, and go unnoticed. End of rant.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Worst refs ever. Homer
I bet it was those danged Glouster refs wasn't it? :lol:

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

Ground Buck wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:Worst refs ever. Homer
I bet it was those danged Glouster refs wasn't it? :lol:
Hahaha. it must be basketball season again - Bulldogs talking about the refs. Even when they win by 15. They dont seem to impact the Athens football team, its only basketball. Wonder why? :?

It would have been fun to see those Dogs come up to Trimble to play this year - we would have even let them bring refs from The Plains to make it fair. :12223

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Seems to me both Athens and VC posters were complaining about the refs ... Unless Hawkeye has become a Bulldog supporter?

:)

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

93bulldog...Need a 2014-15 Meigs boys varsity cage roster. Thanks.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

93Bulldog wrote:Seems to me both Athens and VC posters were complaining about the refs ... Unless Hawkeye has become a Bulldog supporter?

:)
Yes, everyone else is allowed without question to complain about refs except Athens fans....1st half calls went against Athens, 2 nd half calls went against VC. Even Steven. Dogs came out on top.
hawkeyepierce wrote:To the officials out there, it is ok to be wrong, it is ok to miss a call, and it is ok to have a bad game, just get better, have pride in your craft, and do it without a smug expression or blatant arrogance. Nobody comes to watch you officiate, nobody is taking you out for drinks later, heck, they are not going to like your facebook page. Just show up, be professional, and go unnoticed. End of rant.
DITTO!!!

morgeen
Riding the Bench

Post by morgeen »

I Dont have a dog in the fight axgrinder but to outsiders it seems like bulldog basketball people love to complain about refs more than others fans. I've lived many different places but I've never seen a High school coach call out officials In the local paper after a loss. And On this board you see it time and time again from some of the athens basketball fans. Heck, my wife told me that even one of the coaches wives was complaining about the refs DURING the game on Facebook. You guys have a nice group of players down there - just enjoy the games and let the kids play. The refs are not out to get you. You guys are undefeated, smile and relax :122245. It looks like you guys are going to have a good season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”