Western 19, Minford JV 11 after 1 period

bluedude62
Varsity

Re: SOC Previews at Northwest

Post by bluedude62 »

East JV 17
Western 44

final

Eastern and Minford looked strong tonight for SOC 1 & 2.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

woops bluedude typo it was Minford JV, which I know you meant! Both teams seemed to play well on the radio. Minford had balanced scoring as a team. Waverly was lighting it up with the 3 pointers due to zone defense applied by New Boston. Eastern as well was dropping the 3-ball too.

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

88 you are right. Minford JV played Western.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Couple of curious scores in this one ... Oak Hill score stands out a little to me, ND that good or Oak Hill youth exploited some?
Also the PWEST Clay game sticks out ... PWEST down or is Clay a pretty solid team?
Note I'm from OVC country so I know little about SOC play early in the season.

bluedude62
Varsity

Post by bluedude62 »

Championship- Oak Hill started one Sr., One So., and three Freshman. One of the freshman #23 is a three ball shooter. You hit the West -Clay contest right on. Minford is solid and has six kids, any of which could score 20 on a given night. Eastern rotated 5 in 5 out and never missed a beat.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Norm never starts or plays his regular line up at previews. The one senior and probably one freshmen that started the game are true starters. Don't think all regulars starters were ever in at the same time.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

oakfan wrote:Norm never starts or plays his regular line up at previews. The one senior and probably one freshmen that started the game are true starters. Don't think all regulars starters were ever in at the same time.
The same can be said about Notre Dame. Past starters CJ Smith and Trevon Turner didn't play together, from what I saw, they mixed 5 players to start the game (3 of 5 players started had never started or played more than a few minutes of a Varsity game) and the coach would sub in 5 players at a time and bringing in younger guys towards the end of the game.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

Didn't get there to see ND/Oak Hill but I've said it many times: Matt Mader is one of the best coaches around. His teams always play unselfish basketball! I honestly believe he has taken many teams with limited basketball ability and won. And is always a class act on the sidelines. Doesn't have to show the bravado that so many young coaches do. So few teams play team basketball nowadays, so I really enjoy watching ND teams play.

SportsFan16
Waterboy

Post by SportsFan16 »

Championship wrote:Couple of curious scores in this one ... Oak Hill score stands out a little to me, ND that good or Oak Hill youth exploited some?
Also the PWEST Clay game sticks out ... PWEST down or is Clay a pretty solid team?

Seems to me that Clay has a pretty solid team this season. Looked young to me, but I was impressed with their ball movement and spacing. Granted it was Previews and what looks we do get are typically short and often disguised. It looks to me that Coach Betten has taken a program that was, for a lack of better description, in dismay; and has built on several seasons of improvement and progress. I like the direction they are headed considering they are largely led by underclassmen.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

VIPanther wrote:
Championship wrote:Couple of curious scores in this one ... Oak Hill score stands out a little to me, ND that good or Oak Hill youth exploited some?

Seems to me that Clay has a pretty solid team this season. Looked young to me, but I was impressed with their ball movement and spacing. Granted it was Previews and what looks we do get are typically short and often disguised. It looks to me that Coach Betten has taken a program that was, for a lack of better description, in dismay; and has built on several seasons of improvement and progress. I like the direction they are headed considering they are largely led by underclassmen.
The younger Panthers have won since elementary school days. Betton has nothing to do with it, AT ALL!!! Clay will compete, but they gave up the S.O.C. last season when he mishandled substitutions, prepared the team badly for conference games and lost many games late that were in control.

KOOLKOACH
Freshman Team

Post by KOOLKOACH »

Clay is good!
Back at it again huh?

KOOLKOACH
Freshman Team

Post by KOOLKOACH »

VIPanther wrote:

They are coached very well!!

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

KOOLKOACH wrote:
VIPanther wrote:

They are coached very well!!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have yours, MANY OTHERS have theirs.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

KOOLKOACH wrote:Clay is good!
Back at it again huh?
NO! We both have a friend who is hurting because of you! He still considers you as a friend, why, I don't know!

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

:lol:

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

local superstar wrote::lol:
Why the laughing smilie?

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Jake Lane wrote:
VIPanther wrote:

The younger Panthers have won since elementary school days. Betton has nothing to do with it, AT ALL!!! Clay will compete, but they gave up the S.O.C. last season when he mishandled substitutions, prepared the team badly for conference games and lost many games late that were in control.
If you are going to criticize a coach at least spell his name correctly. Betten not Betton. If you can do better apply to be the head coach then. Just make sure spell check is on when you type up your resume. That's my opinion!

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

Jakes kid must not be getting to play much. They have been all right since junior high. Compton did a nice job with them. They have never been great! nor have they consistently won a lot!

SportsFan16
Waterboy

Post by SportsFan16 »

I am only attesting to the fact that Coach Trainer took over the club in 2008 and underachieved in my opinion. In his defense, he took over a program that was left in dismay by Coach Ward. Ward had a few very successful seasons with the Panthers, but in the bleachers we could all see Coach Ward was there to win "now"; not build a program for future sustenance. Trainer took over that program and had some decent talent while he was there (Particularly early in his tenure), IMO (Opinion. Mine. Not yours necessarily. Opinions are funny that way.) Regardless, Trainer underachieved: 2008: 2-19, 2009: 6-15, 2010: 9-11. I am not on here to debate whose kids should play more, play less, play at all, or even be on the team. I am an impartial bystander in the bleachers; I can only attest to what my eyes see and what my impressions are. That impression is that Coach Betten took over a program that was left in the dirt when Coach Ward left and Coach Trainer failed at building or sustaining. That's several years of stagnation he was faced with before he even got the keys to the car. If I am not mistaken, this should be Coach Betten's first year at the helm with a complete system in place (Meaning he has had 3-4 years to implement his system to the program as a whole). What most people don't realize is that when you take over a program you have to start with the youth leagues, with Junior High, with Freshman teams. You implement your system there and trust that the people in coaching positions at those levels can successfully interpret, implement, and even manipulate "your system" to meet the kid’s needs (but always within the program director's (Varsity Head Coach) system). As the coach, you do your best with the players you have at the HS/Varsity level. Of course, you are focused on winning and winning now, but you are also adamantly focused on building the program from those lower levels up. Coach Betten should have the ability and opportunity to get "his system" in place, meaning, from this point forward you should really be able to see the direction the program is headed in his hands. I personally do not know Coach Betten other than as a professional in the workplace. I didn't know Coach Trainer in any other capacity, either, and so forth with all of the coaches that have passed through the halls of Clay High over the past 20+ years. What I can most certainly tell you is this: There is a multitude of parents (with internet access) that feel they are entitled to anything more than an opinion on the matter of their child’s playing time and status as part of the basketball program. There is a reason you are in the bleachers and typing behind a computer screen oppose to being on the bench with a clipboard and whistle. Likewise, there is a reason little Johnnie doesn't see the court; teach him how to shoot a free throw instead of scheming a cleverly worded attack on SEOP to degrade the coach and basketball program.

My original post was nothing more than affirmation that the club was stronger this season. I feel like Coach Betten has done a sound job given the circumstances he was faced with when he took over the program. (Program, not team.) He has the keys to the car, but now he is driving his own car and not a hand-me-down from 10 years of program stagnation. Lend a hand, Clap instead of scowling, and support the team for crying out loud.

VIP OUT...

Return to “Boys Basketball”