SOC Previews at Northwest

Jake Lane
JV Team

Re: SOC Previews at Northwest

Post by Jake Lane »

GOINDIANS wrote:Jakes kid must not be getting to play much. They have been all right since junior high. Compton did a nice job with them. They have never been great! nor have they consistently won a lot!
Sorry, but I don't have a kid (any more) in the picture. But you do bring up another question. Compton was a fundamentals coach, not so much a program coach. Meaning that he worked more on the basics of basketball, then based his "system" around the talent he had. I saw KOOLKOACH bash him for not using the Betton system. Compton said he felt he couldn't run a transition offense with a limited roster, mostly from what I remember was short of talent and size kids. I have talked to Compton, he wanted to return, but wasn't given the option. He also told me some other disturbing things I won't go into, but he wished the Panthers well. I/we should back the team, but I won't go as far as saying the coach has done a great job-yet.

SportsFan16
Waterboy

Post by SportsFan16 »

Fundamentals are a constant; a given if you will. Defending a coach by saying that he focused on fundamentals is like saying a lumberjack focuses on sharpening his axe—it’s a given. Coaches at the lower levels should absolutely be teaching fundamentals, but also introducing the system within which they will be playing as they mature. To do anything other than that is an injustice to the program and kids. I am not privy to the situation you are referencing, but if Coach Betten asked for a transition game to be introduced to the kids and it wasn’t—The coach who neglected to teach committed a disservice to both the program and kids. What happens when those kids (who couldn’t win running a transition system as you put it) advance to the JV/Varsity level and are inexperienced with the system the coach is running? That scenario you are describing puts an emphasis on winning in Junior High oppose to building a successful program and winning on all levels. At the same time, you act like running a system or introducing something to the kids that is outside of their ability at the time is wrong. By Introducing things outside of the comfort level, especially at a younger age, only produces more well-rounded athletes and basketball players.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

VIPanther wrote:Fundamentals are a constant; a given if you will. Defending a coach by saying that he focused on fundamentals is like saying a lumberjack focuses on sharpening his axe—it’s a given. Coaches at the lower levels should absolutely be teaching fundamentals, but also introducing the system within which they will be playing as they mature. To do anything other than that is an injustice to the program and kids. I am not privy to the situation you are referencing, but if Coach Betten asked for a transition game to be introduced to the kids and it wasn’t—The coach who neglected to teach committed a disservice to both the program and kids. What happens when those kids (who couldn’t win running a transition system as you put it) advance to the JV/Varsity level and are inexperienced with the system the coach is running? That scenario you are describing puts an emphasis on winning in Junior High oppose to building a successful program and winning on all levels. At the same time, you act like running a system or introducing something to the kids that is outside of their ability at the time is wrong. By Introducing things outside of the comfort level, especially at a younger age, only produces more well-rounded athletes and basketball players.
Or eliminates those left so that you don't even have a JH team. (Which is most likely the case here) Like I said, I don't have a horse in the race. I just know that the JH coach did what he could with what he had. He has a ton of support from the boys who are now 8th grade, Freshmen, all the way to those who have graduated for several years.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Jake Lane wrote:
GOINDIANS wrote:Jakes kid must not be getting to play much. They have been all right since junior high. Compton did a nice job with them. They have never been great! nor have they consistently won a lot!
Sorry, but I don't have a kid (any more) in the picture. But you do bring up another question. Compton was a fundamentals coach, not so much a program coach. Meaning that he worked more on the basics of basketball, then based his "system" around the talent he had. I saw KOOLKOACH bash him for not using the Betton system. Compton said he felt he couldn't run a transition offense with a limited roster, mostly from what I remember was short of talent and size kids. I have talked to Compton, he wanted to return, but wasn't given the option. He also told me some other disturbing things I won't go into, but he wished the Panthers well. I/we should back the team, but I won't go as far as saying the coach has done a great job-yet.
How about now! He just led them to an SOC championship!

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

Jake Lane must feel awfully silly now.... and deservedly so.

Return to “Boys Basketball”