New Rule Change Enforcement woes begin...

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

New Rule Change Enforcement woes begin...

Post by Blackcobra »

Apparently someone at the state decided referees cant gauge contact correctly, the rule "Can't touch This" was implemented. 4 refs I talked with in the past 3 weeks have stated they will decide if and when its too much. This past week of scrimmages has some refs calling by the letter, one touch with an extended arm Foul! Or was it two touches with a bent arm or one arm with the leg slightly bent or was it one arm, palm only, no fingers involved as long as it was on different possessions.....Give me a break!

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: New Rule Change Enforcement woes begin...

Post by jottings »

They are taking defense away in basketball so teams can pile on the points.

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Hope you like 4 hour games with all the fouls calls or 99-98 because of no defense. If they call this they need to call the offensive hook where the player hooks around the defense makes it easier to turn the corner. No touching by defense same rules should apply to offense

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Great Point Swamp but it makes too much sense lol

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

To all, we are supposed to call the placing of a hand by the defensive player on the offensive player if they do it more than once. If at anytime two hands are placed on the offensive player we are to call that. Players will adjust to this if it is consistently called in every game. The consistency of the rule will be the problem. We officials don't make these rules we are just supposed to enforce them.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

Maybe the state should worry more about the travel call. I mean kids are hopping 3 and 4 times before they get to the rim and no call. When a kid does the little head fake thing, travel everytime.

Ironman25
Waterboy

Post by Ironman25 »

I coach at the college level and this rule was put in place last year for us. I asked multiple refs throughout the year and it is true. The main reasoning behind this rule change is due to lack of scoring in games.
I will say this though, after about 2 or 3 weeks of them enforcing it harshly, they began to let up on the calls and it began to be fairly normal.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Wizard wrote:Maybe the state should worry more about the travel call. I mean kids are hopping 3 and 4 times before they get to the rim and no call. When a kid does the little head fake thing, travel everytime.
UKPROF wrote:Apparently someone at the state decided referees cant gauge contact correctly, the rule "Can't touch This" was implemented. 4 refs I talked with in the past 3 weeks have stated they will decide if and when its too much. This past week of scrimmages has some refs calling by the letter, one touch with an extended arm Foul! Or was it two touches with a bent arm or one arm with the leg slightly bent or was it one arm, palm only, no fingers involved as long as it was on different possessions.....Give me a break!

Rules and Points of Emphasis are determined at the National Federation of High Schools, not at "the State".

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Then once again like most levels of Ohio's administration, its become a pushover and a follower. The OSHAA make money hand over fist on student athletes. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to set up tournaments and rules.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

What about the announcer responsibilities mandate??? :roll: I know several announcers in the area who would violate one or more of these items if actually enforced.

A “Point of Emphasis” this year in NFHS Basketball Playing Rules addresses “Announcer Responsibilities”. High School sports have held onto a longtime belief that announcers at high school sporting events should not be ‘cheerleaders’; should be ‘neutral’ in their announcing and should also simply announce the facts of the game and not be a ‘play by play’ announcer. With increased pressure from professional arena announcers, many wish to ‘be like them’. It becomes essential that announcers are given appropriate training by event managers/Athletic Directors and also given appropriate pre-game guidance by officials. As a Point of Emphasis, the NFHS has issued some reminders and recommendations for responsibilities of announcers to stay consistent with these goals.

They are:
- The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement while the clock is running and while the clock is stopped and the ball is alive…such as during a free throw, a throw in, etc. Doing so could potentially affect communication of coaches, players or be disconcerting.
- The announcer shall be prohibited from interrupting the game through the use of the microphone unless there is an emergency.
- Announcements or comments shall be made during those times when there is a stoppage of the clock and the ball is not live, such as time outs, between quarters, pre-game, half time and post game.
- The announcer is allowed to announce basic information that does not potentially affect the play in general, the players, the coaches, or the officials. The announcer’s information is not official information and could be misinformation shared with all.
- The announcer’s role does not include “cheering the home team on” or otherwise inciting the crowd. Doing so is common at other levels of athletic events. But high school athletics is different because sports are educationally based.
- “Emphatic” 3-pt. goals with excessive length should not occur.
- In a very real sense, the public address announcer at a high school event is a “Champion of Character”.
- The announcer influence the atmosphere of the contest by what is said and how it is said.
- The announcer who performs professionally promotes good sportsmanship by what he/she says and how he/she says it

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

Smart coaches should lose few games if any. I would have my 1,2, or 3 man pass or head fake then DRIVE to the hole every possession. I would practice foul shots all practice. My kids would shoot 50+ foul shots a game with the current rule. Easy Game

Return to “Boys Basketball”